Hosp doc's billing practice-Something is not right

This is one reason I didn't want to do a high deductible plan. I don't want to mess with any of it. I have Plan G and DH has Plan F. Once I've met my deductible nothing gets sent to me and Medicare and the supplement handle it all.

I here you, I can deal with the bills for now. Had no problems with supplement. But for the past 9 or so years only paying about $63/month first time I had to use it. Wife is at 12 years,also used medicare this year she pays about the same so far.
But age adjusted so gonna go up. She breaks both wrists ice skating with grandkids while I am laid up. Such fun.
Oldmike

I've been on Medicare for 13 years now. A lot of strange things have happened, even with Full Plan F (no deductibles paid by me). It's not worth discussing all of them here.

The latest was a check for $20 that was received by me in the mail from the Memorial Herman Hospital system in May of this year. No explanation, just a check. The last time I was in that hospital was when I had my right hip replaced in November 2019. I just cashed it. Oh well.:)

We just got a statement from St Lukes with a balance of about $185.... said it was for services in April 2021... I called and said we had paid the bill a long time ago and had not received anything since..

Well, it was some X rays on my wife's knee and hip... we had paid the Dr. she went to but the hospital decided that someone there had to look at them also... so I assume it is either just X rays or X rays and a consult... who knows as I STILL do not have an EOB...

The lab that does my blood work similarly asked for payment upfront, by saying to me my charge for today would be $___, and am I paying by credit card, debit, or cash?...
LabCorp gets me to hand over a credit card and sign a form that I'll pay if insurance doesn't. But they don't charge my card. The thing I sign and the receipt have a dollar value, but it's just an estimate, and it never hits my credit card if I have hit my max out of pocket. If I haven't hit my max out of pocket, it hits with a different dollar figure...one that matches the EOB.

How often are there hassles when paying with Medicare Part B?

I am still trying to decide whether to pick up Part B as an addition to my Federal BCBS.

I am still trying to decide whether to pick up Part B as an addition to my Federal BCBS.

My experience so far is Medicare B (with an F supplement) is much less problematic than any other insurance I’ve had. If the service provider accepts Medicare assignment, their reimbursement rate has already been agreed and they can’t demand more. It doesn’t stop some from trying, but for me Medicare has been far easier to use that all our precious insurers and also my mother’s Medicare Advantage insurer.

I have no hassles with medicare or the supplement so far.
Its billing department from the 15-20 doctors I saw. They can't get out correct bills.

It is up to the you the patient/consumer to verify that the bill you receive is correct. It is your responsibility to review the EOB provided by your insurance for any claims and report any erroneous charges. We normally visit doctors for our annual check-up and about 70% of the time there are errors that result in co-pays where none are due or charges for services never provided. Many people just pay the amount and don't bother checking so providers have little incentive to prevent billing errors in their favor. I hate to think what situation we would find ourselves in if we had a serious medical problem that required hospitalization where charges are automatically generated by billing software from the moment you are admitted.

The latest medical debacle is we received a check for an overpayment and a not telling us where to come get our medical records.

My doctor retired, and my wife's doctor in the same practice has switched over to weight management and is dropping her. My wife's a very complicated medical case with many issues, and finding a new primary care physician for her may be very difficult.

I think the hospital bought the practice. But why would they run off business?

It is up to the you the patient/consumer to verify that the bill you receive is correct. It is your responsibility to review the EOB provided by your insurance for any claims and report any erroneous charges.

I find reading my BCBS statements to be a bit of a challenge, especially if it was something rather major with a lot of visits in a short period of time. Is there somewhere I can look up the billing codes to get a better understanding of what they represent?

It is up to the you the patient/consumer to verify that the bill you receive is correct. It is your responsibility to review the EOB provided by your insurance for any claims and report any erroneous charges.
I find reading my BCBS statements to be a bit of a challenge, especially if it was something rather major with a lot of visits in a short period of time. Is there somewhere I can look up the billing codes to get a better understanding of what they represent?
I usually just type the CPT code into google with the letters "CPT" after it.

But the medical industry doesn't make it easy to be a good consumer. In fact, they make it about as hard as imaginable.

You go to the doctor, they don't tell you what they did when you leave any more. It used to be, they had that sheet with hundreds of codes and there was a little mark next to "Office Visit - Level 1" or something like that. Now, when you're insured, they just send you on your way with a paper that tells you that you weight more this time, lol!

What other consumer situation do they not even bother to tell you what service you just bought, or what the price is going to be?

Then the insurance company, BCBSNC in my case, doesn't even describe the service that was billed. If they want me to "verify the bill" beyond just confirming that I went to that service provider on that day, then SOMEBODY is going to have to tell me what the heck they billed me for, and not just a list of CPT codes.

So if I'm not going to hit my max out of pocket, I'm going to grill the providers about which services. They'll probably reward me by making it a "Level 2" visit instead of "Level 1" because it took more time. Every time this comes up, I realize how broken this system is, with traditional health insurance and medical service providers. Medicare is only slightly less broken, but with traditional Medicare and a Medigap policy, there's no incentive to scrutinize the bill either.

My experience with Part B and FEHB (GEHA in my case) has been great so far. Medicare receives/processes the bills first which then go to GEHA. All EOBs from GEHA have shown the approved amounts by medicare, how much medicare paid, and that GEHA paid all amounts remaining. Haven't had to do anything related to billing/payment other than review EOBs.

OHHHH, another problem, at least here, is that there are a number of hospital/dr groups...

So you go do DR, who sends you to get tests and an x-ray or other scan..

So you get 3 bills with St. Lukes on it... not knowing what the heck is going on... and with me I just got one for service in April of last year... the first I knew about the service!!!

OR, you get a EOB and bill from some group/facility that you never heard of before because your doc is part of a larger group... and it could have an address in a different city or state.... not telling you what service your are paying for..

Nope, they do not make it easy to know what is going on...

An additional comment that my sister brought up...

She asked "are you paying for lab work separately?'.... I said yes...

She said it used to be part of your visit and copay... IOW, you paid $20 or so and that was it... no other charges come your way as long as your were getting all work done in that visit...

Not anymore... and for her it just started this year... for me it has been a few years

Most medical practices and hospitals are on electronic records, most commonly the EPIC company.
You can ask for your AVS (After Visit Summary) or create online portals to access the info in your charts.
I check my EOBs and line them up with Dr billing.

With Kaiser, so far it has been seamless, the last few years we have been with them.

Yeah, the after visit summary is what I joked about before (tells me that I weigh more than last time) and how long to keep the band-aid on, but nothing about billing.

We are having an interesting interaction with a billing practice. DW underwent hand surgery in September. There were no issues with the billing for the doctor performing surgery (even though the prepay amount was larger than what the EOB said we should have paid, they sent a refund as soon as they received the EOB).

The anesthesiologist practice that was involved, on the other hand, whoo boy. In November they billed us for a wrong procedure (lower back and leg surgery). We just wanted them to submit the proper code for anesthesia for the surgery that actually occurred. Twice DW called, twice she was told "the person to handle this is not in, but we will pass this along to fix", but we continued getting the incorrect bill.

In February we got our insurance provider involved, who agreed with us and contacted the practice. It took them several days to get to someone of "authority" who said they would correct it. Radio silence from the practice until May. Then we receive a notice from them that our account has been sent to collections, and within a day we get a call from the collection agency. DW contacted the practice again (and she had the names of folks whom she had spoken with before), but now was told "we're not sure we can do anything".

So... back to the insurance company. Fortunately the insurance company has all the info from when they had called the practice before, so they contacted them again. Meanwhile, DW also called the practice and said "I just want to confirm I have the correct names to use when we submit a formal complaint with the state". Suddenly they tell her yes, we are working on this, we 'remember' what we told the insurance company about fixing this, it fell through the cracks, we will contact the collection agency, nothing to worry about.

It has been a month of radio silence again. I find it incredible they have such issues coming up with a proper billing code for the work they did.

Hosp billing office strikes again. Was assured months ago my account all paid up,after they put me in collection for $30,for a bill they never sent. Now 11 months after surgery get a new bill for $363. Oh well probably another they never sent.
Oldmike

Last edited:
^
Does your medical insurance plan issue EOBs (ie Explanation of Benefits)?

I regularly review these together will the actual bills to determine if I am being billed in a way that is compliant with my health insurance.

If a doctor's bill was not received, I would still see that I owe for it in the EOBs.

-gauss

Yea checked EOB probably owe it. Bugs me it took them 11 months to figure out.
Oldmike

Yea checked EOB probably owe it. Bugs me it took them 11 months to figure out.
Oldmike

I had a bill for just over $1K many years ago, should not have been billed. Took over a year, and many phone calls and assurances before it finally stopped.

Had it been for a small $30 amount, I would have paid it, instead of all the stress and effort to fix their mistake.

^
Does your medical insurance plan issue EOBs (ie Explanation of Benefits)?

I regularly review these together will the actual bills to determine if I am being billed in a way that is compliant with my health insurance.
Good point. In Medicare, the medicare equivalent can be used to beat the perpetrators.

In fall of 2020 I went to a Dermatologist. First time. When I was leaving, I asked if I owe anything, knowing I had a little bit of deductible left to pay. They said no, we will bill you for it. Fine.
The Medicare MSN, or whatever it is called, showed Medicare paid them 2 weeks after I was there, and my Medigap Plan paid a week after that. Only my remaining deductible to be paid by me.

The months go by, no word from Dr office. Finally, 6 months later, I get a bill from a billing company working for the DR office. The $ amount for me to pay is way too high! and I can't figure out how they could have arrived at that number! I rapidly seemed to sense that this was a rinky-dink billing company, and they were many states away from me. The person who answered the phone said that they would refer it to the person who reviews it, and my bill would be put on "hold". I told them that I would be VERY unhappy if it was sent to a collections company!

Over 2 weeks go by, no word from them, I call again. This starts a loop that repeats each time I call them every 2 -3 weeks hence. The person who answers says, after a pause (probably to look what the present date is), that my bill just went for review on date "X", which is ALWAYS the day BEFORE I called in. Sure, uh-huh.

This loop happens a few more times that I call after no action, each time they say the same (the day before I called it went in to be looked at!), each time I warn them about no going to collections!

Finally, I call and won't let the person go. I'm fed up. They are wasting my time and my life. If they ever hope to get even a dollar out of me, they better listen. I have all the Medicare paperwork, and I tell her when, by who, and how much for what was paid to the Drs office for each item. I strongly suggest that she write them down. She asks me what those numbers were again, and I go through them very slowly, slowly explaining the whole process as she writes them down. Then she tells me all the dollar amounts, dates and items that THEY said they were paid by Medicare and Medigap Plan. They were all really low-balled. I sensed fraud by the billing company.

Another 2 weeks goes by, I call again, reminding the person all the dates and $ amounts that I went through last time that was all supposed to be "passed on".
She tells me it's out of billing, and I should get it via email soon. "When did it go out, I ask?". And she says, after a pause... it went out yesterday!. Um-hmm, sure. Days later, I get the email, the dollar amount I owe is exactly what I calculated.
The story doesn't end there. I was supposed to pay via their payment part of their website. It didn't work. I had to call again to get it set right. I demanded that they U.S. MAIL me a statement showing then that I was fully paid up. I did get that.

My suspicion - That the Drs office was using some really low-cost "processor" that was people working in their homes spread over who knows where. I am thinking that they were making up reimbursement $ amounts that were low, and would just figure that most people would just pay the increased bill, and that those who griped, they would wait them out. I think they decided that they had a shark on the line that would bite them, and decided to cut me loose. I suspect that the $$ they created and skimmed stayed with them, that the Drs office wasn't a part of it and didn't know. [Soapbox item, Drs SHOULD know what goes on in their own office, and any company that they hire to do things for them! It's basic management!]

History - Once at a Megacorp, they hired an in-between that would handle billing through the company health plan. They promised to save the company $$$ (okay, anyone with a brain, what's wrong with this idea?). The dollar amounts they billed were almost always high and wrong, and most people gave up trying to straighten it out, they just wore down and paid. Any employee who squawked, it just fell on deaf ears in Megacorp's benefits department.

Finally, one company director was squawking in an email about it to a fellow employee. But this director accidentally hit "all", and it went out all over the company to every single person! Oh what a great morning that was!!! Thousands of responses agreeing! Crashed the internal e-mail system! Red hiding faces in HR, the in-between company was dropped shortly thereafter.

Good point. In Medicare, the medicare equivalent can be used to beat the perpetrators.

In fall of 2020 I went to a Dermatologist......

I just pay the amount due on the MSN or online claim with a plan to call the 800 number for fraud if they object. IDK if I mentioned this in another thread but I had a pathologist's bill come through by mail with nothing on Medicare.gov. The lady had switched a 9 and a P in my Medicare number. That was an easy fix

Back
Top Bottom