hot water heater problem

pugmom

Recycles dryer sheets
Over the summer we had a drainage issue in our 2nd home cellar (due to heavy rains) that caused backups and our sump pump to run constantly. We had our plumber come and address this issue, which seems fine.

But when we got here a few days ago, the upstairs hot water (which has its own dedicated tank) is only lukewarm, not hot. It has stayed this way for at least 5 days, and it has stayed constant.

What could cause this? Could a water heater have multiple heating elements and only ONE of them go bad? Remember I am assuming that the water in the crawlspace. was at least a foot or two deep before the drainage problem was fixed.

I am certain that the plumber would not have changed the settings of the heater.

I am equally certain that none of the anti-scald settings in the sink or shower were changed (I have had to mess with those before).

Thanks!

Why don't you check what the temperature setting is on the hot water heater?

Why do people need to heat hot water?

Over the summer we had a drainage issue in our 2nd home cellar (due to heavy rains) that caused backups and our sump pump to run constantly. We had our plumber come and address this issue, which seems fine.

But when we got here a few days ago, the upstairs hot water (which has its own dedicated tank) is only lukewarm, not hot. It has stayed this way for at least 5 days, and it has stayed constant.

What could cause this? Could a water heater have multiple heating elements and only ONE of them go bad? Remember I am assuming that the water in the crawlspace. was at least a foot or two deep before the drainage problem was fixed.

I am certain that the plumber would not have changed the settings of the heater.

I am equally certain that none of the anti-scald settings in the sink or shower were changed (I have had to mess with those before).

Thanks!
Yes, a "water heater" can have only one of it's multiple heating elements go bad.

Yes, a "water heater" can have only one of it's multiple heating elements go bad.

But even if that were the case, shouldn't it still be heating until the desired water temperature is reached?

Why don't you check what the temperature setting is on the hot water heater?
Physical condition (mine) does not permit easy access. And the assumption is that the setting did not change. Hence my question.

My guess is one of the thermostats failed (or possibly got bumped to a different setting) so that it's not running the elements enough. Most have two elements but the second (upper) is only used when recovering from high usage.

A neat primer from snarky and nerdy YouTuber I watch on occasion:

The problem is you have a hot water heater, not a cold water heater.
<thud... an old plumber joke>

OK, seriously, your post is slightly confusing because you are conflating the flooded basement tank with a second tank upstairs?

To answer your question, YES, one element can go out. As a matter of fact this is very, very typical. The result can be lukewarm water, or at least water that goes lukewarm quickly. However, given resting time with no water being used, it should still achieve temperature.

Therefore, my only guess is that one element went out, and the other element is working, but is set at a reduced temperature. You need to check both temperatures. Through this process, you can also determine which one is failed (by turning each one off and watching the temperature).

Is it gas or electric? Assuming it's electric make sure if there is a reset button at the thermostat (might be behind the panel) that hasn't popped out. If so reset it and see if that fixes the problem.

Back
Top Bottom