Hotel living............................

Travelodge? Just weird. Sit and watch the busy street, sounds like fun. (crabby today).

Hmmm - shades of the Gilded Age. Wasn't that the hall mark of the newly rich - spend seasons in hotels/motels in different parts of the world?

Or am I not remembering some old black and white movies that well.

heh heh heh

I wouldn't mind living in a hotel. But I would probably choose to buy a condo within a nice hotel and be able to take advantage of all the amenities that hotel has to offer. Actually they are about to open a Westin hotel-condo residence down here and they are selling condos on the top floors but the prices are quite prohibitive I hear... I think I would love it though, if I could afford it.

The Plaza Hotel in NYC is being condo'ed. You could have a very nice room for several gazillion dollars.

I would think there is better alternative than living in a travel lodge. How many of those types of places have you been in that would be worth staying permanently? My answer is none!

I think it is kinda sad that they settled for that situation.

I'll take my RV over a hotel any day!!!

I'm sure the fact that I don't care for city life helps my bias. Also, I like to move around too much.

Audrey

Each to his/her own.

I'm too lazy too look it up, but I seem to recall a couple living on a cruise liner for years and years. There's always another way.

Well they paid $30/day or around $900 a month. That includes their utilities and maid service. Lots of people pay way more than that for housing.

If that's what they want then good for them.

- To each his own.

For me having a homestead or base is important - just to have a place for all the memories and from a tax perspective. I am in the process of trying to find lower cost housing in any of the low income tax states. Then my plan is to spend 3-6 months in a new and exciting place each year via a hotel. One good point is that if you book far enough in advance you can get very good rates, and not at travel lodge, I recommend the Choice Hotel Group( Hotels, Rooms, Reservations, Hotel Lodging, Motels - Choice Hotels. They have the variety and locations with a fair price. If we were to spend any serious time in an hotel it would need more of a suite then a room. And you would want it on the top floor - away from peeping toms and nosy people above you.

When you add up the daily cost of home ownership; Tax's/Insurance/Maintenance/Heat/AC/Electricity/Internet Connection/cable TV/Pool & Jacuzzi costs/Gym Membership/Laundry/Toiletries and Local calls it may be far greater then $30/day. So the extended hotel stay is starting to look very economical and flexible.

Is anyone doing this? if so, where is you home base and what learnings can you share....

Didn't Warren Beaty live in some famous Beverly CA hotel? I am sure he got more than a bed and a tiolet.

I'ld also need more than a bed and a tiolet .... to each his own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom