How are you "Really" doing??

I am a contractor. None of my friends care.

I expect to say, I am unemployed, or, on vacation. Mostly, I don't plan to be where anyone thinks to ask.

I've posting the travel adventures and photographs on FaceBook constantly. I don't think there's any doubt in my friends' minds how retirement is really going.

Post: here's a photo of a mother grizzly and her two spring cubs in Denali. This is awesome.

Question: so how is retirement, really?

Answer: you really aren't paying attention, are you?

Lol

I've only been asked if I miss work. My emphatic answer to the negative is generally convincing enough.

Well, I do miss the people I worked with. I stay in touch with about a half dozen still, but I was there a long time and we had lots of fun (and ridiculous!) times. But I was not in a "Megacorp".

I do get that question, mostly from concerned parties. I'm young and have been "unemployed" for several years. No one looks at it as "retirement", not at my age. Of course no one has any idea that we are FI, a fact that I do not advertise. So when I say that I am enjoying myself and that I am happy, they just think that I am putting on a brave face.

I do get that question, mostly from concerned parties. I'm young and have been "unemployed" for several years. No one looks at it as "retirement", not at my age. Of course no one has any idea that we are FI, a fact that I do not advertise. So when I say that I am enjoying myself and that I am happy, they just think that I am putting on a brave face.
Interesting isn't it. When I tell people I retired "at the top of my game" from a high paying career at 57, some assume it's my euphemistic was of saying I was let go or laid off. I don't care what they think at all, but it's interesting how some folks think they "know better." :LOL:

Only been ER now for 1 month, but do feel a little uncomfortable when people ask what I do for work. At 49 with 3 kids, they certainly don't assume I'm retired so that question has arisen a few times. After a few "I'm retired" responses, I find it easier to say "I'm between careers". People seem to accept that better.

As to whether I'm happy. OMG, are you kidding?

OK, this has happened to me now three times since I have ER'd so I thought I'd post this. Here's the scenario and is basically the same each time.
I'll meet with a friend for lunch or dinner and we chat about things, including my ER. I'm pretty open and honest so when folks ask me how I like retirement, I don't gloat and have kind of a standard answer like "it has it's pros and cons but overall has been a great decision". Then there is this moment when they stare me in the eye and maybe say something like "you seem to be adjusting to retirement well" but then comes "Tell me, how is retirement, REALLY"??
Not sure how to take this. In a way it seems like they think I am lying to them or hiding something. Or they think that if they get me alone, they can find out the skinny. Not sure. Each time, I was very close to giving some sort of smart-ass answer, but am glad I did not.
Has anyone encountered this? What would be an appropriate answer? I could have some fun with this and say "Really, I'm broke so can you pick up this tab and loan me a few hundred?"

Few people acknowledge that we are retired. Because I was RIF'd from my last j*b and never went back, and DW was RIF'd out of the public sector only one year from qualifying for a modest pension, I think everybody thinks we are on the skids (After a year of searching DW did work at another place 8 or 9 months -- just long enough to get the pension). Fact is that we were FI long before any of this happened.

We never drove expensive vehicles or had all the fancy personal electronics, etc. so we may look poor. Never bragged about our income, or even revealed what it might be.

Sibling #1 is always quoting 401K balance in a very condescending way, saying "I have all that money working for me", implying that we don't have that, which would be false. I usually reply with something like "well, that's good". We have it, several times over, but choose not to rub everybody's face in it.

#2 does not have much, and probably thinks the only way we could get what we have is to rob a bank or win the lottery. I am not kidding about the "rob a bank" line, but will save that story for another thread.

#3's plan was to retire this year in [a relatively expensive city]. Now the plan is to [a less expensive city] at a later date. #3's DW says #3 went through all the calculations and doesn't think they are quite there yet, but is not sure they did it right. I dunno. They make a lot and spend a lot.

I am just the stupid little brother that doesn't know how to tie his shoes.

I have to admit that I have been treated a little coolly by friends and former colleagues -- some but not all. So we downplay the retirement thing.

Several of my friends/relatives my age (57) are retired. Almost all are former union workers with pensions. They don't get as many "How are you really doing" questions as those without pensions. Some people really question how those without pensions can RE.

I just tell them, wife has twice the husband and half the pay and that usually gets a chuckle and change of topic. If questions persist I just say, we are debt free and doing what we like and could not be happier.

I love this response!

I tell people who ask that DHs daily decision is, "Do I have to wear socks today?" In other words, he's very relaxed and gets to do whatever he wants.

I am a contractor. None of my friends care.

I expect to say, I am unemployed, or, on vacation. Mostly, I don't plan to be where anyone thinks to ask.
+1
Why would a happily FIRE'd person give a thought to casual comments or questions like OP receives?

I love this response!

I tell people who ask that DHs daily decision is, "Do I have to wear socks today?" In other words, he's very relaxed and gets to do whatever he wants.

DH sounds like the ultimate LBYMer - even saves on clothing wear and tear and laundry costs!

Since I ERd it seems the only time I wear socks is to golf. :D (in the summer anyway).

Remember in third grade when it was finally time for recess and you could go to the playground? Now you know!

Cheers!

I retired at 57 after 34 years with a Utility Megacorp.

When people ask me what I "DO" all day, I simply say :

"I've been "doing" something for 52 years......" at which point they give a quizzical look, and I explain that since I crossed the threshold into kindergarten at age 5, I have been "doing" something that SOMEONE ELSE made me "do"-school, after school jobs, college, career...and in the process moving about 15 times to 5 different states......

I am TIRED of "DOING"!!!!!!

I'm only out since January 4, 2013, and am still catching my breath, but I LOVE being retired and I hope I will never EVER have to return to "w**rk"!!!!!!!

"I've been "doing" something for 52 years......" at which point they give a quizzical look, and I explain that since I crossed the threshold into kindergarten at age 5, I have been "doing" something that SOMEONE ELSE made me "do"-school, after school jobs, college, career...

This is EXACTLY how I feel, and most people don't seem to understand. I don't have to DO anything, and I'm tired of of going somewhere five days a week where people tell me what to do. Oh well, it isn't that long until April 30, 2014. :dance:

Me thinks if someone asked "how is retirement going" and you said "it sucks", then I would expect them to ask "really"

When I'm back in town from our new home in Hawaii, I tell them I'm its really rough being just a poor retiree with no pension and not yet eligible for Social Security. Then I thank them for buying lunch. :LOL:

If I was asking the question, the real question would be "What didn't you anticipate that really smacked you with a dose of reality?", but, as others have said... who knows what they're driving at.

-CC

When asked how I'm "really" doing, I tell people I'm just happy I finally found something I'm really good at!

"I've been "doing" something for 52 years......" at which point they give a quizzical look, and I explain that since I crossed the threshold into kindergarten at age 5, I have been "doing" something that SOMEONE ELSE made me "do"-school, after school jobs, college, career...and in the process moving about 15 times to 5 different states......

I'm only out since January 4, 2013, and am still catching my breath, but I LOVE being retired and I hope I will never EVER have to return to "w**rk"!!!!!!!

My answer to those who ask is I've been working since I was 17 - now I'm doing all of the things I couldn't do for the last 42 years of working. Like golf five days a week, afternoon naps, etc....

The ones who ask me don't seem to think I have the resources to be "not w**king".

Back
Top Bottom