How did they get my number?

Tracking and ID systems are not monolithic things. They evolve to support what the other wants to find out about you. The data mining is incremental, and we should assume that no artifact found out about us is ever deleted, or thrown away.

Fair enough. None if this data takes that much space, so there’s little cost in storing everything.

The hard part is making sense of the data in an automatic way. But that’s why those tech engineers make the big bucks.

IPs can be used for location targeting. I would be surprised if they aren’t stored solely for that purpose, even though accuracy isn’t great. Much better if they can get GPS coordinates from your device.

Indirectly.

It’s not that website A can see the cookies from website B, but if both website A & B use website C for tracking, then website C knows you went to website A and B and can share that info with them.

Here’s an article about third party cookies: https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-privacy-internet-privacy-third-party-cookies.html
A fairly easy way to be a little more elusive to the trackers is to set your browser to delete cookies on exit. For sites that require you to go through an email loop if they don't see an earlier cookie, you can white list those sites. So my white list has my banking, brokerage and things like that.

Or you can browse in privacy mode. There are ways to avoid cookies, even though cookies do provide benefits. This isn’t something I worry about too much, but if I did, I like the idea of whitelisting certain sites. I’ve never looked into this, so I don’t know how easy/hard it is to
setup. I’ll keep it in mind for a rainy day project.

Most web browsers will let you look through all of the cookies stored on your device. If you’ve never done this before, it can be quite enlightening.

"How did they get my number?"

Sorry, but it brought to my mind the lyrics that Adele sings.

"You may have my number, you can take my name
But you'll never have my heart"

I dont know the answer, But I talked with a guy at the campground about his interesting looking portable fire pit... its called a #### stove....
The next day, week, and still get adds about this.... the only thing I had was my phone in my pocket:confused:?

Back
Top Bottom