How distant is your FIRE date?

Well, 2Cor521, you've started a thread that makes me feel a lot better about my FIRE date. My current calculations give a FIRE date around Oct 2009. I'll be 49 years old at that point. My employer has a history of offering voluntary severace packages every couple of years so that could change the picture and make the date even sooner.

I should also note that although we will be financially independent in 2009, my husband will continue working for a few more years to pad our savings accounts to a more comfortable level. He took a couple years off of work to raise our son and then went back to college to re-train into another career, so he's willing to put in a few more years after I retire.

--Linney

Probably 12 years, at the earliest. I'll be 50.

Too long, too long....

April 1, 2016. It's a Friday, and the day before my 46th birthday. Ideally I'd like to go at 45 (well let's face it, ideally I'd LIKE to go out tomorrow!), but I figure I'd build in a year's worth of wiggle room. If 45 or even earlier looks doable as the time approaches, then I'll go out earlier. But if I have to hold on a bit longer than my goal date, it won't be the end of the world. :p

I'm on the same schedule as Andre1969: 2016, when I'll be 45. A few things come together to make that my target. Mainly, I should reach my target net worth around then. But also, at least according to my interpretation of the current rules, I'll then have been at my job long enough to be able to continue participating in the health insurance plan. Also, I'll be eligible for a sabbatical in 2014-2015, and assuming I take it I'd have to return to my job for at least 1 year afterwards.

So that's my best estimate given my current projections. Of course, a lot could change between now and then.

19 months and counting. That coincides with the mortgage burning with a match lit by a kid with a newly minted degree in something that most likely NOT support me in my dotage.

My DH and I plan to sell our business and grind our alarm clocks to dust. I need to catch up on the festivities I missed in the eighties when i was working hard and watching my retirement account rack up embarrassing returns. Hope I still have the energy!

The plan is for 2029, when DH turns 50. I will follow within 2 years, depending on my satisfaction level at my then job.

My date is 24.07.2008 - which is my 36th birthday

DW should be qualified for HK passport at the end of April 2008. hopefully she will get it at May. The day she gets it, I will resign. Since I need to give 2 months notice, Mid-End of July looks right.

No real date set but Jan. 1, 2019 has a nice ring to it. DH will be 50 by then and I'll be 48.

Tuesday, September 1, 2020 (age 50 & 25 years with state)....or Thursday, May 1, 2025 (age 55 & 25+ yrs with state - veteran pension = more $$$ than earlier one)
Depends on circumstances in 2020...

Somewhere between 11/1/07 (forced early "retirement" from megacorp) and 8/14/2016 (62nd birthday)...

I'm planning around June 2016. Hubby will be almost 50 and I will be 46. Lots can happen between now and then so we will see.

Kate

June 30, 2008 I will be 46 and DH will be 45. Though the way we are both feeling at the moment that date could be brought forward.

2012 - 5 more years to become eligible for discounted employer-sponsored medical benefits.

July 1, 2009. I will have just turned 46. No ands, ifs or buts about it. Whatever it is at that point, that's the day I jump.

Per my calculations - June 2019 when I am 38. O0

But as other posters said, a lot can happen in the meantime. I also did all my calculations based on my current salary with minimal increases - so if that happens to change for the better it could significantly push forward my date. :cool:

July 2024 is the earliest DW can take pension (age 55), which I've calculated to be $118k/yr & includes healthcare.

Anything could change though...the pension age could be raised, the calculation could be changed, the pension fund could go bankrupt, health benefits could be changed, etc.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I don't have much confidence in the economy or the ability of the Govt. to control spending. Earmarks, corporate power, Govt. corruption, a political model which encourages short term thinking. The current system is broken and all of us will pay the price at some point.

My partner can bail at age 55, which will be on 11/6/2013. I can bail at age 56, which will be on 5/13/2013. It sounds so far away by date, but it's about 5.5 years for me.

We'll defer our pensions for four years and live on after tax savings. It also unfortunately means deferring my health bennies. My partner just lost her retirement health bennies (change in the retirement benefits), so we'll have to fund hers until medicare kicks in.

Even though it's a ways out, I'm pretty certain that we'll make the date. The only reason I'd extend my stay is if there is a rumor of an early out later that year.

My fire date was 9/98. Spouse fire date will be 5/09.

Reading people's fire dates of 2025 and longer makes me realize I'm an old phart. I'll probably be :dead: by then.

Back
Top Bottom