How do you know you haven't made a math error?

IRS is pretty good at catching them :) Otherwise am in deep doodooo.

When I was putting together my ER plan back in 2007-2008, I met with my Fidelity Account Executive in early 2008 to review my ER plan. I was unaware of any retirement calculators (I wasn't a member of this forum until 2009, after I retired), but my AE and I went through my expenses and input them, along with my portfolio and anticipated company stock cash-out in late 2008, into Fidelity's RIP program in the website. After seeing its results, especially in the first 15 years before I would gain unfettered access to my rollover IRA, my AE gave me the green light to proceed. It was good getting this outside stamp of approval.

As for math errors elsewhere, when I prepare tax returns for my two close friends and myself, I do them by hand as a check on the skeleton spreadsheets I have set up to do the main calculations. Furthermore, as another check, albeit not a totally sufficient one, simply putting everything away for a few weeks before going the returns again with fresh eyes has sometimes revealed errors.

Back
Top Bottom