How Do You Store Full SD Cards?

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You know you have these--full up SD memory cards from digital cameras, surveillance cameras, cell phones and other devices. How do you store these memory cards?

I've been putting each one in a small ziploc snack bag with a label on it detailing its origin device.

I recently acquired a rigid, flat, transparent plastic envelope with a foil backing. It's about 8" long and 3" wide. It has a ziploc type enclosure. It seems ideal for storing my used SD-cards.

You will see plastic bags with foil backing commonly used in packaging circuit boards with electronic (IC's, etc.) components on them. For example, PC motherboards are usually packed in this manner.

Should I be worried about static electricity somehow damaging these memory cards as currently stored in ziploc bags? Would you store them in the plastic envelope with the foil backing?

I download everything off of any SD cards onto my MacBook Pro, which then backs them up to the cloud and an external drive. I’ll then reformat them and reuse them.

I download everything off of any SD cards onto my MacBook Pro, which then backs them up to the cloud and an external drive. I’ll then reformat them and reuse them.

Exactly what I do.

I don’t take any precautions with SD cards.

I have multiple backups, one to the cloud and the other to local external storage. That’s enough redundancy for me.

For spare SD cards not in a device, I use those plastic SD holders. I think either they came with the cards I bought or I may have bought extras. Regardless, from there I just put the SD cards in plastic in this cardboard box with other media stuff (flashcards, a 2.5" HDD, media card reader).

I regard data on SD cards as temporary storage as any stuff I want to keep (like photos), I copy over to other media.

Last edited:
I copy from the SD card to my computer, then once in a while backup my photo directory from computer to external backup drives.

The SD cards are not like film and get reused.

Putting the pictures on a computer, allows me to view them in great detail, and delete the duplicate and bad shots.

If you have amazon prime, you can store unlimited photos online

I do not really use the cards anymore at all. I have decided that the picture quality using my iPhone camera is as good as I need my photos to be. I have stopped using my separate digital camera or video camera. I just use the iPhone for all my picture taking. And then these get automatically uploaded to my iCloud storage. All my pre-iPhone pictures are also loaded into iCloud Photos. During Covid, I scanned a few thousand paper pictures. These are also in iCloud. I also posted them to a Google Photos library and notified my entire family that if they wanted a copy of them they could download them or I could mail them a copy on a USB drive. A copy of that USB drive is in the plastic bins with the paper pictures in my basement. I officially have done my duty to preserve the family archives.

If you want to keep SD cards tidy one of these SD card wallets is useful. It’s only $10 and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SYPYH5M

Interesting. That might be the ticket.

Like others, I do copy the contents of the SD Cards to another device, usually my external USB drive. Still, I like to keep the contents on the original SD card. Most of these cards contain photos starting from about 20 year ago. I have the cards labeled by dates/years covered. I consider these my original copies and would prefer to leave them intact. Plus it is easy to find particular photos based on the year.

Back to the original questions:

Should I be worried about static electricity somehow damaging these memory cards as currently stored in ziploc bags?

Would you store them in the plastic envelope with the foil backing?

Back
Top Bottom