How does "Snowbirding" work?

And by all means, when you live in your warm place, please make sure to take every advantage you can of the community and infrastructure. Complain loudly to the authorities about poor infrastructure (you are paying taxes, after all). Put demands on your neighbors but don't be neighborly, i.e. don't make friends with neighbors, because you may actually accidentally become part of the community. Best to just hang out casually with other birds of a feather instead. Don't cheer for local sports teams. Stay a fan of your old team. Be obnoxious.

It is also a good idea to complain and be a pain in the behind to every service worker you encounter. After all, they are there year round, barely scraping a living, to serve you, the snowbird, the most important person. Stiff waitresses on a tip, or just give 14% or so. This is acceptable. They also enjoy hearing about your tough life, so let them know how your HOA screwed you over today. Or maybe how your Mercedes repair cost $2,000. It gives them something to shoot for.

I'm just saying, please, if you snowbird, power to you. But please try to become part of the community and remember you live there, it is not a big long vacation. Be kind to the year rounders, they keep the lights on while you are away.

*** Thank you. The above PSA brought to you by Joe, who lived in a snowbird area year round and got dumped on by the bird droppings every winter.
In Michigan, a lot of people in the southern part of the state own summer cottages in the northern part of the state. The northern locals complain long and bitterly about those terrible "Detroiters" who come up there on weekends and in the summer and spend money at restaurants, marinas and gas stations, obviously just to show off how rich they are. Then, when the economy is down or gas prices take a spike, those same northern locals cry even louder and harder that everyone is getting laid off. I'd guess it is thus everywhere monied travelers are loved but hated. :D

Someone mentioned snow birding with a dog. Anyone use VRBO with a pooch?

Yes, VRBO makes it easy to find pet-friendly properties. Our dog is with us now in the Virgin Islands. Had we not found a place that allowed dogs, our trip would have been a short vacation rather than the longer-term stay we wanted.

In Michigan, a lot of people in the southern part of the state own summer cottages in the northern part of the state. The northern locals complain long and bitterly about those terrible "Detroiters" who come up there on weekends and in the summer and spend money at restaurants, marinas and gas stations, obviously just to show off how rich they are. Then, when the economy is down or gas prices take a spike, those same northern locals cry even louder and harder that everyone is getting laid off. I'd guess it is thus everywhere monied travelers are loved but hated. :D

I think it just comes down to common decency on both sides of the equation.

Living in a seasonal locale is somewhat unique and takes tolerance on both sides. As a "local", I was also ashamed at some of my and my other full timer's attitudes. I learned a lot of how to act in this unique situation.

Also, there's a difference between tourists and snowbirds. I give tourists a wide berth. Heck, I'm a tourist too. Tourists are demanding, but come stuffed with cash.

I'm talking snowbirds. Snowbirds are true residents and should remember that. You are part of the community, if only part time. You are not a tourist.

We snowbird "light." for one month in the winter we leave our home near Charlotte and drive down to Myrtle Beach for a month. Weather is only a tad warmer, but we love the solitude of the winter beach, Most tourist traps are shuttered and its almost a ghost town. We stay at a pet friendly condo, so Fido is in the mix.

We spend 6 months in our condo in Puerto Vallarta. We have a car that we leave there. Our PV friends are newer (10 years) and we often see them in the summer. We are travelling to Europe with one couple. We hire a property manager to handle our times away and keep our housekeeper year-round. We do not rent it.

We sublet our northern home while away. And keep our housekeeper all year.

I think it just comes down to common decency on both sides of the equation.

Living in a seasonal locale is somewhat unique and takes tolerance on both sides. As a "local", I was also ashamed at some of my and my other full timer's attitudes. I learned a lot of how to act in this unique situation.

Also, there's a difference between tourists and snowbirds. I give tourists a wide berth. Heck, I'm a tourist too. Tourists are demanding, but come stuffed with cash.

I'm talking snowbirds. Snowbirds are true residents and should remember that. You are part of the community, if only part time. You are not a tourist.

Funny how locals never consider all the property taxes that the snowbirds pay and only use for a few months, it keeps the property tax of the locals lower than it would be if there were no snowbirds, and makes for some nice under utilized facilities.

I was trying to figure out why a Californian would be asking about snowbirding as well. Where is it snowing in California?

California is a big state.

Truckee, CA. High of 56 today. Low of 26 with possibility of precipitation.

You can find vacation rentals that accept pets. We accept pets at ours. I don't think it will be too difficult for you to find :)

Funny how locals never consider all the property taxes that the snowbirds pay and only use for a few months, it keeps the property tax of the locals lower than it would be if there were no snowbirds, and makes for some nice under utilized facilities.

"Never" is a strong word.

I was trying to figure out why a Californian would be asking about snowbirding as well. Where is it snowing in California?

There are a lot of snowflakes in CA...especially northern cali. lol

We snowbird and use vrbo.com to find places to stay. Just go to the filters and check pet friendly. Our dog is a boxer, so we have to read further in the description to make sure bigger dogs are OK. Travelling with a dog limits your options, but we have always found places that meet our needs. We usually book a year in advance as we have some other very specific needs. At first we changed places each year "upgrading" along the way. When we find a place we like, we have stayed more than 1 winter.

But we have different friends visit about once a month from Jan through March.

DW and I stand gazing at the mailbox daily. Where is our invitation from Ronstar?

Last edited:
I'm confused... if they spend winters in Arkansas and summers up north aren't they snowbirding and not reverse snowbirding? Snowbirds spend the summers up north and fly south when the snow flies.

ETA: Ah.... I think I see... what you are calling reverse snowbirding is where your main home is in the south but summer home is in the north... at would be my Mom who is a FL resident but spends summers at her home in Vermont... we have lots of couples that are both where we live but we are both snowbirds as I understand the definition so summering in the nother and flying south for the winter.

Sunbirding? I plan on doing something very similar to this. I plan on living less than 182 days in MN so I don't have to pay state income tax.

ETA: Ah.... I think I see... what you are calling reverse snowbirding is where your main home is in the south but summer home is in the north...
Yep. I could be wrong, but that's how I've interpreted the phrase. Largely because the thought of spending winter in the northern US and summer in the southern sounds like the worst of both worlds to me. :D If I'm wrong, well, wouldn't be the first time!

Sunbirding? I plan on doing something very similar to this.
I like that term!

I have a friend who is a reverse snowbird in CA. His primary home is in SF, but he spends the winters at his condo in Truckee CA where he snowboards nearly everyday. He returns to SF occasionally during the winter for the symphony and other events. He grew up in Chicago and loves the snow, even in ER.

I'm in the Los Angeles, CA area (Redondo Beach), about 7 minutes from the beach, so weather is nice almost year round.

I'm playing with the idea of a Midwest summer spot so the kids can have quality time (unrushed) with their cousins. Family time is important to us.

As for housing, thinking of investing in college rental property, so summer months should be available for personal use. Not sure I want to add to the real estate side, but it's an option.

Last edited:
I'm in the Los Angeles, CA area (Redondo Beach), about 7 minutes from the beach, so weather is nice almost year round.

I'm playing with the idea of a Midwest summer spot so the kids can have quality time (unrushed) with their cousins. Family time is important to us.

As for housing, thinking of investing in college rental property, so summer months should be available for personal use. Not sure I want to add to the real estate side, but it's an option.

I'm in So Cal about 20 minutes from the beach so it does get hot...mostly July. We were thinking of Idaho or Washington for a month where it is warm but cools down at night.

Dunno if TrophhyWife is still on this thread, but for some extended info on our 24+ years of snowbirding from all angles, our ER story is mostly here, FWIW.
Wouldn't have changed it for any reason.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/sharing-23-years-of-frugal-retirement-62251.html

Apologies to the "regulars" who have already gone through the thread... nothing new, but posting the link as an overview for newer members.

:greetings10:I read through your series and loved it!

We own our primary house in Independence Oregon - beautiful green summers, but long soggy dreary winters. Bought a foreclosure house in La Quinta, about 30 minutes from Palm Springs at the end of 2010. Lots of sun, great desert punctuated by gardener sustained movie set greenery. About May the sun starts getting serious and the open windows at night only let in 74+ degree air. Not too comfortable. Then it gets earnest and has a few months with 115 degrees and high humidity. We've been splitting our time between the places.

We drive the 1050 -1100 miles between places with at least one cat sharing the ride, an office worth of paperwork, and clothes and stuff; lots of stuff. Disconnect car batteries and leave a car in both places so we have two to use on the off chance we aren't together and both need a car. We let both places come to ambient temperature while away - we've had some frozen pipes and some melted candles, but probably cheaper than worrying about exploding gas lines or $400 AC bills.

Medical can be an issue - Kaiser has given great care, but the billing north and south is a muddled mess - so much so that I opted to fly into PDX in January for a fairly routine reboot in my primary care area rather than have it done in Palm Springs.

Great friends both north and south.

Back
Top Bottom