How long do you plan on deferring major purchases?

How long do you plan on deferring major purchases?

• I will not defer my purchases

Votes: 50 43.1%
  • Probably will defer for about 3 months

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • Probably will defer for about 6 months

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Probably will defer for about 12 months

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Probably will defer for greater then 12 months

Votes: 16 13.8%

• Total voters
As soon as the MN shut down is over, two weeks from today, we're replacing all the appliances in a rental dwelling. Then some major renovations when the weather is fit. About $80k total.

It could wait a year or two, but the contractors and businesses need the work now. I had bids in before this chaos started and I am not going to ask or even expect anyone to reduce their prices now that business has slowed.

We planned to buy a new or late model used car this Fall. Remains to be seen whether we can safely go out and about.

I'd love a new freezer, but everyone went crazy and bought them all, so that isn't happening in the near future.

We were contemplating having some pavers done in the backyard and maybe some landscaping in the front, but that isn't happening until it is safe to be around other people.

So, yes, I am deferring for an indefinite period.

As soon as the MN shut down is over, two weeks from today, we're replacing all the appliances in a rental dwelling. Then some major renovations when the weather is fit. About $80k total.

It could wait a year or two, but the contractors and businesses need the work now. I had bids in before this chaos started and I am not going to ask or even expect anyone to reduce their prices now that business has slowed.

Also in MN, also about to do a kitchen renovation of about $75K. It looks like I’ll be working from home for a lot longer than April 10 and I can’t concentrate or do constant Zoom calls with construction noise. Also, DW is immunocompromised. We are exploring moving into a rental place for a few months.

+1
I see no sense in making a major purchase until I have some confidence I'll be around to enjoy it.

And add some emphasis on the enjoy! In the current environment, no place to go or road trips planned so a new car is pointless. My nine year old van is perfect for getting me around where I need to go.

We'd like to have some interior painting do but can't get any local contractors out to give us even a quote let alone actually do the work. If home bound another month, I may start the project myself!

We withdrew extra cash for this year for several remodeling projects, two of which are done, and the others will proceed when the people can work. For next year we planned to get the house resided, and I think we will proceed with that, as we would likely get a very good price. A major amount of travel spending will be deferred, but not by our choice.

We didn’t have any major purchases planned. We were supposed to go to Europe for a month in August but doubt that is happening.

I think this same thread, or similar was started, but we have a Lot purchase down South that we will finalize. Just won't start any building until things settle out.

Our major purchases/expenditures in the last 2 years have been travel, particularly international travel, so that is deferred to who knows when. So thankful that DS, DDIL, and DGD decided to visit from overseas in February before all heck broke loose.

I had been looking at getting DW a newer used car later this year with more safety features, and had sold off some of our 2019 gains in anticipation> Now with her teaching from home and not driving, and nothing actually wrong with her current car this might move into next year.

Our cruise plans are scuttled. It would have been our first cruise. We were nervous enough with tales of food poisoning, but given the current situation it has pretty much killed any desire to ever take a cruise, unless we get a Vito Corleone offer. :)

I was going to have our last non-update bathroom remodeled by the same contractor friend who remodeled our other ones. It is a half bath and will be a much smaller job than the other ones were. He had bigger jobs to work on so we had not set a firm date. If his other work dries up and he needs the work sooner I will proceed with him.

I checked "I will not defer my purchases", but really I don't have any planned.

Well, for the last couple of years I have been thinking of buying a new SUV, but I haven't found one that I want and my Toyota Venza only has 32,000 miles on it. Besides, I think that there is more risk of being exposed to coronavirus in shopping for cars (or anything) than I'd like to take. So, I won't be shopping for a new car although I have heard that there are some amazing deals out there right now.

I don't travel, I live in my Dream House, and I have everything I need or want.

I checked "I will not defer my purchases", but really I don't have any planned.

Well, for the last couple of years I have been thinking of buying a new SUV, but I haven't found one that I want and my Toyota Venza only has 32,000 miles on it. Besides, I think that there is more risk of being exposed to coronavirus in shopping for cars (or anything) than I'd like to take. So, I won't be shopping for a new car although I have heard that there are some amazing deals out there right now.

I don't travel, I live in my Dream House, and I have everything I need or want.

I guess I should have added a choice like "other".

Perhaps the next Whee moment you can buy that SUV.

The little kids camp next door will likely shut down this summer. I will hire the employees to do landscaping when they make their decision to close the camp. Later, if I feel it is safe I will hire them to insulate and drywall the house.

As soon as the market looks to be back and comfortably on track (eta tbd) I'm getting a pool. Timing will be "when I can talk DH into it."

I was holding off as we'll probably move in 7-10 years, but now, I really wish I had it for all this extra stay-at-home time. So my post-corona treat to myself and the economy is gonna be a big upgrade.

I guess I should have added a choice like "other".

Perhaps the next Whee moment you can buy that SUV.

Maybe by that time, there will be one that really appeals to me! :D So far, none of the models available seem to float my boat, so to speak.

Also, as paranoid as it may seem, I don't want to test drive a car that might have previously been test driven by a sneezing, coughing person with coronavirus.

I'd buy that new SUV this afternoon if I knew for sure that it had no virus in it, and if it actually appealed to me more than my Venza.

As for the poll, with this crowd you cannot make a perfect poll! No matter how much thought you put into it, someone is going to say that no choices fit their situation.

Maybe by that time, there will be one that really appeals to me! :D So far, none of the models available seem to float my boat, so to speak.

Also, as paranoid as it may seem, I don't want to test drive a car that might have previously been test driven by a sneezing, coughing person with coronavirus.

I'd buy that new SUV this afternoon if I knew for sure that it had no virus in it, and if it actually appealed to me more than my Venza.

As for the poll, with this crowd you cannot make a perfect poll! No matter how much thought you put into it, someone is going to say that no choices fit their situation.

The new Honda CRV hybrid came out. I would strongly consider it except that I found out it doesn't have a spare tire, just a pump. :facepalm: I know I would constantly worry about getting stuck out in the boonies. We often visit national parks and a tow truck experience is not something I want to contemplate.

And yes, going for any test drive is going to be impossible for us. Might even have to wait until a vaccine is developed.

Hmm - I picked six months but truth told been waffling on buying a Tesla or getting on the list for over a year now. ?And then traveling to California to pick it up! Virus is an added excuse to wait.

Bought 50 solar panels in Feb on sale. Was waiting til 'spring' to pick out/buy the mounting system.

Now?

heh heh heh - :facepalm: :greetings10:

I had two major purchases planned for this year.

One is the removal of a huge camphor tree and buildout of a native plant garden - that will proceed as planned. Maybe I can even get a reduced price as others stopped spending.

The other is remodeling both bathrooms. That will wait until I feel safe having people come into my home. I have not had anyone in my home, including family, since this started. I even cancelled my annual Easter celebration, which was only for 5 of us (DH and I, Sister and BIL and Mom). I want to keep the virus out of my house. I can Facetime family at Easter and have a post virus party instead.

I had been wanting to buy myself a small log cabin retreat in the mountains. But prices in this market have been ridiculous for many years and I had almost given up on the idea. If this crisis creates a buying opportunity, however, I'd most definitely jump on it.

I am sitting here in my cabin looking at all the empty ones around me. I am sure several are extremely leveraged. I suspect you are gonna get your chance.

I’m surprised to hear that some of you are seeing contractors free up. In California, the construction industry has been deemed “essential” and general contractors still seem to be very busy. We are hoping to start on a major remodel of our home in early May. We will be renting a nearby home while construction is going on, and will be moving everything out during the remodel. Therefore no plans to delay it, unless the City won’t approve plans to proceed.

We have purchased a new Sumsung 55" Qled 4K tv last week so void eye strain on Netflix. Also bought a new credenza for my den. Both online.

Deferred the upgrade of our 2012 car with 91k km on it until we can drive again.

I have yet to find a concrete contractor who seems to have time to do a foundation. I am calling BS on this virus affecting construction, at least in our area.

Or maybe it will just take months to filter through.

I would defer until I was able to step out into the world again with reasonable expectation I would not contract a life-threatening viral disease.

Same. I was about ready to pull the trigger on new appliances for my condo. More of a style upgrade rather than a necessity. But it's on hold until.......

I have yet to find a concrete contractor who seems to have time to do a foundation. I am calling BS on this virus affecting construction, at least in our area.

Or maybe it will just take months to filter through.

Some people haven't even looked at their financial statements. I think the public is perhaps only vaguely aware of the financial repercussions. They are aware of their employment status and that might affect all kinds of spending. But it will take time to play out.

Back
Top Bottom