How Many Devices have you Connected to your Home Internet?

92. 6 people with multiple devices each, appliances, gaming systems, smart devices, tuners, access points.

We have 35 devices active. Includes 3 laptops, 2 iPads, 4 Nest cameras and a Nest doorbell camera, 2 printers, 2 AVRs, an OOMA telephone, 3 cell phones, 2 thermostats, 3 Apple TVs, a router and extender, 3 Verizon set top boxes, 2 garage door openers, and the rest are cell phones from family that visit regularly.

32 Counting in my head only gave me 15 but writing them down they quickly added up. May have missed one or two still. And likely will be adding more

1 Router
1 VPN Router
3 phones
3 iPads
2 Apple Watches
4 eero web routers
2 ring cameras
1 Security system
3 split A/C’s/ heating units
2 Roku’s
3 Alexa devices
5 smart bulbs
2 smart outlets

So I guess this raises the question of what kind of internet service do you all have? And what kind of speeds you all get. Someone smarter than me could create a poll.

I have fiber and wifi on 2.4 gets 118Mbps down and 43 up. Wired connection can reach 600 down and 5Ghz is usually around 250 down. VPN from South America to say Florida can half our speed but still fast enough to stream….

I just did a speedtest from my laptop wirelessly. Download 143 Mbps and Upload 126 Mbps.

3 Cell Phones
4 Laptops
2 tablets
2 Kindles
3 Google Mini Smart Speakers
1 NUC Media Server
1 Roku
1 Nintenod Switch
1 Printer
1 SmartLock
1 SmartGarage door
8 Smart Outlets that we use for holiday lights
2 security cameras
1 Garmin Watch
2 Fitbits

Looks like 33.

But they aren't ALL always connected. Sometimes I unplug the smart speakers and smart outlets, fitbits arent always charged, and cell phones arent always on Wifi mode.

I would say a solid 8 to 12 devices consistently with 33 peak (or likely never but possible).

I run a netgear Nighthawk router. Works flawlessly. I've never had to reboot it since I plugged it in after unboxing it.

About 20, I guess, with a handful more that are mobile and occasionally connect.

Netgear
Brother-DCP-L2550DW
Pixel-3
Roku3-576
ESP_233587 HVAC
Espressif
ESP_23349E HVAC
AzureWave Technology
Google-Home-Mini-Office
AzureWave Technology
Espressif
iRobot-Roomba
Google-Home-Mini
XPS-8700
Google-Chromebook
Helium Systems
LGwebOSTV
BirdBuddy

Surprised I was on the low end of those reporting. I count 13, plus maybe 3 or 4 devices that are sleeping or off right now.

Computers, tablets, phones, printer

3 Chromecasts on TVs,

an AirTV (sends OTA over the local Wifi so DW can watch on her tablet while doing dinner prep - no good place for a TV there),

Google 'Home' box ("Hey Google....")

VOIP adapter box

One of my 'Home Brew' "Internet-of-Things" to monitor the Sump Pump.

No lights controlled, no appliances connected (though I might be adding a few more of my IoT devices to monitor water alarms, fridge/freezer run times, maybe furnace water heater run times. TBD.

-ERD50

7 the are, another 5 that could be. I refuse to set up our "smart" appliances, I have enough calls, dings, reminders coming at me already!

You folks with scores of devices on WiFi must go dark and helpless when bandwidth craps out! :LOL:

Not really, at least for lights. When WIFI is not available, the lights revert to regular lights. WIFI is for controlling light schedule and color of lights, the latter for colored WIFI lights. RING also falls back to Cellular Backup mode. TV is another story. Phones and computers, we are in deed doodle. Cell is spotty here but RING somehow gets stronger cell signals than phones. RING cams don't work without WIFI.

We had our power out for three days last week after the big storm here in Texas. Even the cell towers near us were down. Needless to say, not much going on and we still had natural gas and a generator.

If all things were active, 50+ :
- 1 Router
- 1 managed network switch
- 2 phones
- 3 tablets
- 6 laptops/notebooks (all wireless, 2 of them are usually wired)
- 1 thermostat
- 5 (soon to be 7) home security devices
- 8 tower systems
- 2 "workbench" systems
- 1 desktop
- 1 mini pc
- 3 Raspberry Pis
- 2 Smart TVs
- 5 Fire TV sticks
- 1 Wii
- 1 PS/3
- 4 NAS servers
- 4 printers
- 2 DVD players
- A varying number of virtual servers across several of the towers, depending on what I happen to be working on... currently about 12, but can get much higher.

All things are connected all the time. On average there are 30-35 active IP addresses.

must be a luddite. Only have 5.
2 cell phones, 1 tv and 2 laptops. That's it.

You got me beat in the Luddite lifestyle. I have the same as you, 5, but also 3 security cameras. So 8 total. But we use the cameras only when we're away for one night or more. Also, we don't use the wifi much. Our laptops and TV are hard-wired and phones are rarely connected.

34 devices... laptops, tablets, cell phones, security cameras, HVAC, home automation, etc. etc.

I have 30 to 35, depending. I have a few not mentioned. I have wifi a weather station and various sensors, such as a lightning detector. I use this all of the time.

I have a Govee meat thermometer. I get the smoker going. I put one sensor in the smoker so I can see the temperature at which I am cooking. I put one or two sensors in the meat at various places. Now I can leave for hours but still monitor the temperature of that boston butt or turkey or whatever.

OP had a wifi UPS box. Don't have that. I am happy that my UPS box will shut off my NAS after running on battery for awhile. Not sure how a wifi UPS box would be helpful. Even if it is helpful, DW will argue if I try to buy.

I have set up friends/relatives wifi oven/stoves. I guess when the concert or movie is ending, you could connect to your oven and tell it to warm up to 450. Then when you get home, the over is ready for that pizza. How often would you use that?

Just bought a $19 TP-Link OneMesh extender (RE220) to go with my TP-Link router. Pretty nice as you can now wander around the whole house using one SSID. No switching networks while on that phone call (wifi calling). Previously, I had a wireless access point at the far end of the house.

Haven't checked my count in a while but it's easily over 100 devices. Fully automated smart home. Every light bulb, outdoor flood lights, indoor and outdoor cameras, appliances, more computers than anyone should own, every TV, every Roku, city water line monitor (for leaks), toilet water line monitors (for leaks), wifi phones in every room (you never know when or where you'll have that stroke), sprinkler system including every sprinkler head, HVAC, thermostats, CO2/smoke monitors, door locks, etc. Too many to count.

1 computer
1 printer
2 tablets
2 phones
1 thermostat
2 streaming devices
1 TV (but smart features no longer used)
2 Blu-ray players (again, smart features no longer used)
1 temperature controller for the fermenter

I had 1 AV receiver connected via an Ethernet cable over the household power lines, but since the smart features are no longer used I disconnected it just yesterday. New carpet is being installed in that room as I type, and my intention is to clean up the rat's nest of cables behind the entertainment center. I also had a switch and wired connections to the blu-ray and apple tv, but I wasn't using the wired connection anyway.

I've found that these smart devices become obsolete and unsupported within just a few years, but that doesn't bother me. The TV and BRs were awfully clunky when they worked.

So, that makes 13. I thought that was a lot until I read this thread.

Just remembered one more... not sure if it counts. Our solar power monitoring connects via it's own cellular radio. So it's not connected to our home internet (wifi or wired)... but it's within our walls (garage wall).

I had no idea there were smart lightbulbs, etc... I'll add that to list of things I'll probably never have. LOL. I have no problem turning the lights on manually... and we have old school timers for when we travel and want the lights to cycle on/off. (Which we also use for the christmas lights.

Add one more. I forgot about Aqualink, the pool control system which I control wirelessly from my phone and laptop.

Smart bulb rationalization:

I first got a set of 3 smart bulbs for my kitchen counter, because of a poorly placed wall switch. This was a good solution to the problem.

Then I realized I could adjust the brightness. A very nice bonus for these lights, and I could replace the bulbs in 3 other sets of lights on sliders that only really worked for incandescent bulbs. Not only could I finally replace the old bulbs with LEDs, but I could adjust them by voice.

Now with more bulbs in place, I set up a schedule to turn some of the lights on in the evening and off at bedtime, for both convenience and home security if I was away. I could use lamps with mechanical timers, but as days get longer or shorter you have to continually adjust them. And if the power goes out, the timer is off by however long it was out. With smart bulbs, I can set them up to come on 10 minutes before sunset, so it's set and forget, and even if I turned up the brightness the day before, it comes back on with the brightness I give in the smart routine.

Ooh, colors! Why settle for various degrees of white, when there are so many other colors available? While it's mostly aesthetic, in summer bug season I have my deck and porch lights to yellow, and change them back to white over winter for better visibility when grilling in the dark. And don't discount the pleasantness of using non-white colors inside.

There's convenience and safety too. If I have my hands full it's a lot safer to tell Alexa to turn on a room's lights than to try to get it with a shoulder or stumble around in the dark. And if I need to, I can give Alexa a command to turn on every smart light in the house, full intensity, assuming power and internet are on.

I totally get that some people won't allow Alexa or Siri to listen at their house. I'm not trying to convince anyone to give in. I'm just saying it's far from me being too lazy to use light switches.

34 devices... laptops, tablets, cell phones, security cameras, HVAC, home automation, etc. etc.

Should my count include my upstairs condo neighbors devices when he uses my Wi-Fi sign on?

Our upstairs neighbors are good friends and last week his cable/ internet box wasn’t working. I offered him the use of my Wi-Fi network ( we can “see” each others Networks when we search for available networks on our devices). I gave him my password and he was able to use my network until Comcast came the next day and replaced his faulty modem box.

There was no noticeable decrease in my wireless network or slow down in any of my devices!

Don't Judge

I count 75 but I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere.

I use wired ethernet when possible and several of my PCs/Servers actually use multiple IP addresses as I use Linux Proxmox quite a bit with multiple virtual machines running but I only counted the main box IP.

I have about half my home setup with smart switches but they are not managed by my internet other than the main Smartthings Hub.

2 Apple Watches
2 Apple iPhones
3 iPads (hard to discard working units)
5 Laptops (3 more I don't use anymore)
1 Raspberry Pi (Running Heimdall on Linux)
1 Intel NUC (Running PiHole and secondary Plex Server)
1 HP Elitedesk 800 G4 Mini (Building replacement Windows Media Center/Plex Server)
2 Dell/Wyse 5060 Thin Clients ( 1 is a plaything and 1 my Home Automation Server)
2 HP Pavillion PCs (Current Media Center/Plex Server second is DGF's PC)
1 HP Envy PC ( My old PC I use for playing with Linux)
1 Home built PC (My primary PC)
2 QNAP 4 Bay NAS
1 Synology 2 Bay NAS
1 SuperMicro Enterprise Server (6 Bay for NAS backups)
1 Dell Elitedesk SFF PC ( Blue Iris Server for Surveillance Cameras)
7 IP Cameras
1 EZVIZ Doorbell/Camera
2 HP Printers (Inkjet and Laser)
1 Echo Show
1 Echo (Full Size)
4 Echo Dots
2 Nest Thermostats
3 Nest Smoke Detectors
1 Smartthings Hub
1 Hue Hub (Control 2 Hue bulbs)
2 TP-Link Electrical Outlets
1 TP-Link Router (Main Router running multiple Networks)
1 TP-Link Network Controller
1 Ubiquity Network Controller (Cloud Key)
2 Ubiquity Managed Switches (16 Port POE and 24 Port Non-POE)
2 Silicon Dust OTA TV Tuner Boxes
3 XBox 360's (Windows Media Center Clients)
4 Roku Devices
1 Fire TV Stick
2 Smart TVs
2 Onkyo Audio/Video Receivers
2 4K Blueray DVD Players
2 Ubiquity Access Points
1 Linksys Router (Used only as 5 port switch these days but with an IP address)
1 OOMA IP Phone Controller
1 AT&T Fiber Modem

Back
Top Bottom