How many ER readers are taking more than the RMD?

How often do you only take the RMD from your account to which RMDs apply?

• Always, never taken more (100%)

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Almost always (90-99%)

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Most of the time, but occasionally take more (67-90%)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Very roughly half the time (33-66%)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not often (11-33%)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Hardly ever (1-10%)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Never (0%)

Votes: 13 26.5%

• Total voters
I'm sure this question has been answered before, so my apologies in advance. But, when it comes to doing a Roth IRA conversion, do I have to wait until age 59.5 to do it without the 10% penalty, or can I do it before?

My original plan was to just start drawing down my IRAs at 59.5, and then investing the money in something after-tax. But, if I could do a Roth conversion before 59.5, and avoid the 10% penalty, I might be tempted to start doing that.

I didn't vote.

We are 58/59 and currently collecting two pensions... one non-COLA, one partial COLA. So depending on inflation between now and 70, SS + pensions + taxable dividends should easily cover all of our expenses. RMDs will be reinvested in the taxable account. Then, when we have large non-recurring expenses, we can choose between taxable, Roth, and HSA, depending on the current tax situation. I can't envision ever withdrawing more than the RMD amount from tax-deferred. And hopefully RMDs will be small as a result of many years of Roth conversions.

Currently, we only convert to the top of the 12% bracket, so I don't expect to eliminate RMDs altogether. But that might change as I'm warming up to conversions in the 22% bracket. Not there yet.

Back
Top Bottom