How many totally manage their own nest egg?

Always have, always will. Opened a discount brokerage account at Quick & Reilly in 1981. Bought my first Vanguard mutual fund in 1984 (Windsor).

Last edited:
I used a retail broker starting in 1987, but I’ve been a DIY investor 100% since 1990.

Never used an advisor and was at 100% stock for many years, but more out of ignorance at that time.
Better to be lucky sometimes.

I've always managed my own. (And, I suspect that no manager would want to put up with my very intrusive oversight.)

I manage my own investments. I've never used a financial advisor.

We had an FA for our taxables (about 1/3 of our nut) for a while, when we lacked knowledge and confidence. If someone is fearful and on the sidelines, an FA can be better than a savings account.

Once we got a little confidence, we pulled the plug, about 3.5 years ago, now I manage everything.

I have always handled my own money. My broker/mutual fund company has some sort of advice team I can ask questions of and sometimes they email me and remind me of that fact. I don't know if everybody gets it or it's just because I am a medium-high-roller on their totem pole and warrant such attention.

The reality is I have never contacted them for input or advice regarding investments

I only handle cash.

Merrill Lynch does my equities and Fidelity and Morgan Stanley do my muni bonds.

I did have a guy last year from Etrade contact me asking to be my premier account contact and offering to manage my taxable account there. I asked him to look up my return for 2018, he came back and said it was 112%. I said I think I am ok.

I manage my own investments. I've never used a financial advisor, I can't see paying somebody for something I enjoy doing.

I've always done my own taxes and manage my own nest egg.

I manage our household portfolio and day to day finances. I also manage the financial and marketing aspects of our granny flat/Casita - but I have a lacky (husband) to do the maintenance. Marketing has been exceptionally easy since our current tenants have been here for 5 years and don't seem like they want to move.

This week I also managed our car fleet... selling the 97 toyota... and starting negotiations with various subaru dealers on the replacement vehicle. LOL.

I did consult with two different FAs when I was considering this crazy FIRE stuff just to make sure I was not off my rocker. They both said it looked doable so its been 17 years and so far so good. No, I didn't hire their services since I got to FIRE without their help so I figured I might as well continue the same way.

I manage all of our investments, including our rentals, which are about 2.5x the value of our marketable securities/cash. We've started selling some of the rental properties and once we're totally out, I may mention to DW to look into Vanguard's PAS once I'm gone as she really has no interest in managing our investments at this time.

we do and have been since we started investing in 1982. we did consult a FP last year to seek advice on preserving capital but that's the only professional advice we've had. my bro-in-law's advice got us started and we took it from there.

I am a hybrid. DW’s ira is with an FA. She likes him. To avoid marital strife, I put some ira $ with the same FA. But I tell him how I want the $ invested. So in essence I mostly manage all of my $.

Buy and hold:
Total market mutual fund
TIPS
CD's/cash
About 75% equities as pensions & SS cover the basics. All easy peasy.

Can't see any value in letting an FA turn some of my money into his/her money.

I am a hybrid. DW’s ira is with an FA. She likes him. To avoid marital strife, I put some ira $ with the same FA. But I tell him how I want the $ invested. So in essence I mostly manage all of my $.

Can't convince the DW in letting you manage her IRA? I would think you have all the requisite knowledge and those FA fees can be spent on more exciting stuff.

I do. The pile has grown substantially under my management [emoji41].

Back
Top Bottom