How many years of expenses in cash

How many years of living expenses do you keep in cash and near-cash?

• 1 year's worth or less

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • 2 years

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • 6-8 years

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • 9-11 years

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • 12-14 years

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • 15+

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters
aaronc879 said:
I'm only in my 20's and have never had more than one years worth in cash. My bank says i'm insured for up to 100k. For those of you with much more than 100k, where do you keep it so it's insured?

If keeping it insured is important to you, your choices include savings accounts spread over several banks, CDs spread over several banks, and in effect, short-term treasuries.

I suspect many just keep it in a MMF; the risk of loss in value is not zero but pretty close. I am not aware of any MMF that failed in modern history, though there may have been a last-minute bail-out here and there by the owning company.

aaronc879 said:
I'm only in my 20's and have never had more than one years worth in cash. My bank says i'm insured for up to 100k. For those of you with much more than 100k, where do you keep it so it's insured?

You could get married. :LOL: With jointly owned accounts, each owner is insured up to $100K. You can then also open separate individual accounts in yours and your wife's name and get another $100K insured each, for a possible total of $400K insured.

Back
Top Bottom