How much Dave's folks pay him

I've had the same GM vehicle since 1984-It has been my first, last and only GM vehicle to date :D. And, just to make this Dave related, it was purchased used with $1200 cash. ;)

muy bueno! until 1990, except for the deviation to the Cutlass, we were a Ford family. Because of my commute all ran more than 150K-miles before the body wore out. Switched to Chrysler in 1990 and then Jeep in '03. Love Jeeps and they're EZ to flat tow behind our motor home. And to make this Dave related all were bought new and all were paid for in ca$h.

Clark is a national treasure.

After living in Atlanta 10 years, I too am a fan of Clark Howard.

He sold his travel agency at age 35 for enough money to retire. As a hobby, he started giving travel advice on the radio--on cheap travel. It worked into a full time afternoon gig on the #1 talk radio station--and the show broadcasted to stations all over the country. Then he started giving advice on local television.

He got the radio station to establish a customer service hotline manned by volunteers to help the local citizens when they ran into scams, people taking advantage of them, etc. Clark has helped people save untold $ millions throughout the last 30 years with his good advice.

And he also has a compehensive consumer website giving advice on many subjects. I've always used his advice on traveling--cheap flights, etc.

I understand he's slowing down, and it's about time. He's truly a national treasure.

That url requires setting up a free account. I'm too lazy.

A few people noted this and no one had an answer so I thought I'd pass on some useful info that works on any site that requires you "do something" to continue reading. This has never failed to work at any site that pulls that so...

In Firefox there is an Add On called Reader Mode. It changes a page with lots of ads or distractions to plain text, no images just text. Anytime I get this subscribe or accept something, I copy and paste the URL into a FF browser and click on the Reader Mode icon on the Menu Bar, see attachment.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/activate-reader-view/

So, I was able to read that link about DR using Reader Mode in FF. Try it, you'll like it! :dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Dave and his common sense financial advice, mainly staying out of debt and not doing stupid things. He is a big proponent of using managed mutual funds as opposed to index funds. As far as his Christianity goes, I think he pretty much lives it and no doubt it helps sell his product down here in the Bible belt.

I learned how not to treat debt and credits like the norm in my life when I started watching his YouTube videos of the phone calls and debt free scream shows in 2014.

I stopped watching the videos when last Match he publicly threatened people on his show that he won't refund their reservation money if they don't show up in one of his smart money events in May because of covid lockdown. That rant video got taken down from his channel by his team shortly but it exposed many things I don't like about his conservatism. It is difficult for him to grasp a world outside of money / profit. He is definitely not an expert on public health, tax, government, or investing but that doesn't prevent him from throwing his opinions and complaints at his listeners when he thinks his revenue is impacted.

Overall DR is helping the public in terms of saving and getting out of debt. His long term persistence (3hrs a day) for his show, despite having a company to run is also commendable. But I would not want to listen to him on anything else because he is well conditioned to leverage his platform to express his views in fields that he is not an expert in, and all those things made me feel like he has become a slave of money.

This is not a political post. It is just me posting my observations from 5+ yrs of watching Ramsey youtube channel on regular basis.

I’m in a few DIY Facebook groups and noticed his name popping up when people ask about home equity loans or what should they should do with their Biden bucks. People chime in to say pay down the mortgage, no debt, Dave Ramsey, etc. I’m like interest rates are cheap and I rather have my money in the market. I guess if people can’t rely on saving their money away, paying down the mortgage is not a bad idea.
I would always pay off debt first. Why open yourself to two types of risks (losing the house and losing the investment principle) when you can have zero risk instead? That's the kind of common sense I learned from Dave.

I took a step further by buying houses with cash. No risks from mortgages and even when the upcoming inflation storm or the housing bubble pops, I have a house and lots of net worth to survive. People who leverage debt, on the other hand, will learn the difference between being the master of their money vs being a slave of the lender.

I was a fan of Dave Ramsey and would buy his Total Money Makeover and give it to people. Would listen to his podcast daily on my walks.

Not a fan anymore.

As someone mentioned, there was a gal who was immediately fired when the company found out she got pregnant out of wedlock.

Chris Hogan was finally fired after the gal who was fired for getting pregnant filed a wrongful termination lawsuit against the company and requested copies of Chris Hogan's personnel file. Chris was fired two days after the request. Turns out, his wife turned him into the company for cheating on her a couple years ago. The company did not fire him at the time but told the couple to get counseling, etc. This all came out right before the "Everyday Millionaire" book tour. I'm sure the company didn't want to fire him before the book tour because of money. Supposedly Chris was the Ramsey heir apparent.

If the company truly followed Christian values, Chris would have been fired years ago when it came to light that he had several known affairs. One was with another company employee.

My feelings have nothing to do with Ramey policies. It is a private company and it can set its own rules. I have a problem that the rules don't apply to everyone. They both broke the rules. If one was fired, the other should have been fired. Why is it that the one that was fired was the low level employee who didn't bring in money to the company? I sure hope she takes the company to the cleaners.

For "Ramsey approved" Real Estate professionals, they pay a percentage of their commission - and it's not cheap. And frankly, the one I went through to sell my old house was not good at all. She caved on everything and it ended costing me a LOT!

For "Ramsey approved" Real Estate professionals, they pay a percentage of their commission - and it's not cheap. And frankly, the one I went through to sell my old house was not good at all. She caved on everything and it ended costing me a LOT!

Are the endorsed local providers only endorsed because they pay Ramsey a fee? No wonder he is so rich.

If so, another reason I'm not a fan.

I think if high schools across the country had a mandatory financial education course Dave Ramsey could be out of business. Many of his principles are just common sense (pay off the credit card with the highest interest rate first).

I think if high schools across the country had a mandatory financial education course Dave Ramsey could be out of business. Many of his principles are just common sense (pay off the credit card with the highest interest rate first).

To quote Voltaire, “Common sense isn’t so common.”

Interesting so many take such strong umbrage with Dave. I think he’s provided a very valuable service to probably millions of his customers. Isn’t that what businesses are supposed to do? He helps people learn how to manage their finances. Good for him.

Like his debt free advice but his anti-mask policies are horrible.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/7260134002

I was a fan of Dave Ramsey and would buy his Total Money Makeover and give it to people. Would listen to his podcast daily on my walks.

Not a fan anymore.

As someone mentioned, there was a gal who was immediately fired when the company found out she got pregnant out of wedlock.

Chris Hogan was finally fired after the gal who was fired for getting pregnant filed a wrongful termination lawsuit against the company and requested copies of Chris Hogan's personnel file. Chris was fired two days after the request. Turns out, his wife turned him into the company for cheating on her a couple years ago. The company did not fire him at the time but told the couple to get counseling, etc. This all came out right before the "Everyday Millionaire" book tour. I'm sure the company didn't want to fire him before the book tour because of money. Supposedly Chris was the Ramsey heir apparent.

If the company truly followed Christian values, Chris would have been fired years ago when it came to light that he had several known affairs. One was with another company employee.

My feelings have nothing to do with Ramey policies. It is a private company and it can set its own rules. I have a problem that the rules don't apply to everyone. They both broke the rules. If one was fired, the other should have been fired. Why is it that the one that was fired was the low level employee who didn't bring in money to the company? I sure hope she takes the company to the cleaners.

companies don't usually discuss why employees were let go or other personnel matters. given that what is your source for this information? just curious.

Don't know Dave or Clark. Don't want to either.

She caved or you caved?

IF our school system taught (their version) of financial education it would be wrong... Common Core Financial education anyone?

Well, the “Total Money Makeover” book is terrific, except for the advocacy of growth stock funds, regardless of fees, apparently. That part is just ignorant. If the rest of his empire that mixes religion and financial advice is a house of cards, I really don’t care that much.

Dave was my introduction to financial discussion & my wife hated his voice. He did start our discussion with each other on some things that helped us looking back. I would have said the same thing about many podcasts today if they were available at the time. He was an early adopter in radio - finance and I'm better for it today.

I've moved on obviously to more mature finance topics and find a few groups that benefit me now. DR is not one of those. He's the "milk" for the babies...

companies don't usually discuss why employees were let go or other personnel matters. given that what is your source for this information? just curious.

There are articles all over the internet. Here is one. I think it is all coming out because the other employee filed a lawsuit. Also, his ex-wife has been talking. Her blog is the last link.

https://religionnews.com/2021/04/15...eligious-discrimination-cult-like-atmosphere/

https://melissajhogan.com/update-ramsey-solutions-statement/

Not a fan anymore.

Because profit is priority #1 for these guys. When it comes to money topics, the core values they preach day and night can always be bent a little ( or a lot ). It makes me sound like a crusader but it is the truth, when you have hundreds of families rely on the company income, everything else is automatically less important.

Are you sure about that? Baby step 2 is to pay from the smallest amount debt to the largest. That is not common sense, it is a behavior modification.

Back
Top Bottom