How much was your last trip & where did you go?

Sengsational, you had to switch hotels each night? Sounds rough!

Off season (past Sept 1), and especially during the week, you can get some awesome deals on NC beach hotels. Sometimes you can call and negotiate a great rate, especially if you're doing so at the last minute in the evening and they have many empty rooms. Although $75 total per night isn't bad at all.
Yeah, we did switch hotels, which was a small pain in the neck. My attempts at negotiation were not successful; when I couldn't extend at the same price, the best they'd give me was over $100....I guess I need to figure out what the tricks are to getting them to come down. Usually, though, the desk clerk seems like they don't have much authority to make a deal.

sengsational, take a look at betterbidding.com. It is community driven and you can get a pretty good idea of what you should bid & what hotel you may get.

We just drove from Portland, Oregon (my spouse, 17 year old dog and I) to Banff and Jasper Canada. We were gone for 13 days. We brought the majority of our own food, but didn't include it in our cost of the trip since we would have had to eat if we stayed at home. We spent about $2,280.

Lodging cost about $1,290 and gasoline was around $350.

I would highly recommend going there, especially in the Fall. The hotel rates are pretty inexpensive and the crowds are gone. It is so beautiful up there and the wildlife is incredible. We saw 5 black bear, 1 moose, dozens of elk, many white tailed deer and 1 MEADBH :greetings10:

We "budget" for extras when we travel (by "budget" I mean if there is something expected or unexpected that we want to do and it costs more, we just do it and don't care what it costs, without going overly crazy about it). We rationalize it by saying we can't go back in time and add that foofoo drink at sunset on our ship balcony, or that tour of the Paris catacombs that scared the crap out of our then 8- and 10-year-old kids, in ten years when we think we can afford it better. So far so good, no regrets.

Next year we have three big trips planned, two to Europe and one to Hawaii. I might have to modify this philosophy at some point :LOL:. Or not.

I actually get this, and I wish I could subscribe to it, but I find my automatic LBYM mentality kicks in and I struggle to deviate from what we had originally budgeted. Also, because we budget annually, I know exactly what that extra spend is going to do to our remaining travel numbers, and I'm generally reluctant to beef up the numbers for one trip if it means I'll have less for another.

I know, way too much thinking!

On the other hand, I do so much research ahead of time, I rarely find myself in situations where an unforeseen opportunity arises, your Paris catacombs tour being a perfect example. We'll be in Paris for 9 days next spring, and I've already tagged and budgeted for several tours, those glorious catacombs among them. :)

Went to Avignon, Lyon and Paris for 9 days. Rented a car for 3 days around Avignon, took the TGV between Avignon and Lyon and Lyon and Paris.

Total was about $2650 for land costs.

Airfare was about $1700.

I just completed a 2 week trip to Arizona, Utah, and Nevada, where I completed the rim to rim hike at Grand Canyon and camped at a few other national and state parks. The trip including airfare, rental car, and sundries was about $2,000.

It was awesome, by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Our most recent RV trek through some Canadian provinces cost $7K. It last 7 weeks, and covered 9K miles.

12 day road trip from Minnesota down to California and back (with scenic stops all along the way).
About $1500, $3 for fuel ;-)

I ran the RV genset intermittently during the trip, though I had a solar panel on top. The genset fed off the same gas tank, so I do not know how much it drew, but I am sure it was more than $3 of gas just for that generator. :)

Last edited:
Stayed in San Diego for a few nights in Mission Bay. The most expensive part of the trip was Fogo De Chao Brazillian Steakhouse but I didn't have to pay for that as our dinner guests picked up the check. Got a deal with US Airways where I received 2 companion tix for $99...but buddy was so ecstatic he tipped me when he repaid his ticket. Hard to really tally it but Airfare - 300 -CarRemtal - Free (they forgot to charge me), Hotel (Free, again they forgot to charge me), lunch and dinner - $50, activities- $90 Wild Animal Park.

Looks like we got away with about $440 give or take.

I was checking some hotels on booking.com. A lot of the downtown hotels appear to be around $200 a night and up, presumably because they were close to the Gaslamp area?

Then up the coast, those close to the coast were high, despite poor ratings.

When you got up to around Carlsbad, prices seemed better, though that's not really the best base for visiting San Diego?

I was checking some hotels on booking.com. A lot of the downtown hotels appear to be around $200 a night and up, presumably because they were close to the Gaslamp area?

Then up the coast, those close to the coast were high, despite poor ratings.

When you got up to around Carlsbad, prices seemed better, though that's not really the best base for visiting San Diego?

Not if you want to really focus on seeing San Diego, vs the San Diego coastline. Did you check the Mission Valley area? There are a lot of budget minded chains located there, and it's a great location for seeing San Diego.

EDIT: Also, be sure to check Goldstar.com for some great half price entertainment in San Diego, particularly on harbor cruises. Which are well worth seeing, BTW, as you cruise though and around San Diego Naval Base.

Last edited:
... the wildlife is incredible. We saw 5 black bear, 1 moose, dozens of elk, many white tailed deer and 1 MEADBH :greetings10:

Wow! I did not know Meadbh was such a wild woman, judging from her posts.

PS. When making a trip to the same places you mentioned a couple of years ago, I did not see the other animals you saw, but saw a lot of these mountain goats.

Last edited:
Our most recent trip was a long (4 days/3 nights) weekend in Singapore...to meet up with our son at the tail end of his business trip.

Airfare (from our base in Manila) was $250 x 2 = $500 (for a 3&1/2 hour flight on Singapore Air in coach)

Hotel was $180/nite X 4 (in the same 5 star as our son) = $600 (including taxes

Means (for 3, including 2 high end) = $300

Taxis, subway, admissions (Asian history museum, aquarium, etc.) $200 for 3

About $1600 all in.....

Previous Trip a month earlier: 4 days in Mynamar; 5 days in Chiang Mai

Airfare from Manila on Thai Airlines (business class) free (me using miles/wife on business), except for $25 in taxes and $125 for wife's round trip from Bangkok to Chiangmai (not covered by employer)

Shangra La Hotel (5*)in Yangon: 2 nights @ $200/night; 2 nights covered by wife's employer = $400

Meridien Hotel (4*+) in Chiangmai $35/night + 2000 points ($135 if fully paid) = $175

Taxis, etc. $100
food $600 (including 3 high end meals & 3 upscale)
bar hopping ($100)
sightseeing (no more than $200, including private car & driver for 1 day in Chiangmai, elephant tour, temples, circular train, etc.

Again, about $1600 all in for 9 days & nights.....

I spent $5000 for my 10 day trip to Brazil last month. A good portion of that was airfare, both international and domestic in both countries. Hotel costs and taxi fare was shared by my daughter and son-in-law. We did stay at his mother's house for a few days so that helped too.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

One of the best source of travel deals to China is from China Spree. chinaspree.com. We went on one of their 2 week tours for less than $3000 per person - price includes RT from SFO, 4 star hotels (Sheratons and Marriots), all breakfasts (international buffet i.e., American, Chinese, Korean, sections), almost all lunches, almost all dinners, all sightseeing, all entrance fees including a Tang Dynasty show and an Acrobat show. Planning on repeating next year as we got a one year multiple entry visa.

We spent a little bit over $20,000 which included business class airfare from Los Angeles to London. Spent one week in Scotland, 10 days in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Also spent two weeks in London at my sister's place. That was our first long trip since I retired in Jan.

Just got back and tallied up the costs. Method used was a simple tally of the ATM withdrawals and credit card charges. Departed Sept. 10. Returned Nov. 6. Vienna, Budapest, Prague, then Malta for 10 days, Sicily for three weeks, and ended with an eight day Med cruise. Total expenditure was more than I thought. Worked out to $12K US door-door. We had some gratis items whose market value would be about $500, so $12,500 USD would be a more accurate number.

Last edited:
Just got back and tallied up the costs. Method used was a simple tally of the ATM withdrawals and credit card charges. Departed Sept. 10. Returned Nov. 6. Vienna, Budapest, Prague, then Malta for 10 days, Sicily for three weeks, and ended with an eight day Med cruise. Total expenditure was more than I thought. Worked out to $12K US door-door. We had some gratis items whose market value would be about $500, so $12,500 USD would be a more accurate number.

That includes airfare?

Yes-for two of us. Airfare to Vienna. Then to Malta and after to that to Sicily and then to Rome to pick up a cruise. Returned home from Barcelona using a one way cruise air offering. Air travel in Europe was on low cost airlines and worked out very well. Also includes a rental car in Sicily for 10 days, plus some rail/ferry to get to the Aeolian Islands.

Last edited:
WE have been to europe 4x's. It really depends on the country you visit in regard to cost. We have been to Italy 2x's & Poland 2x's. Italy was way more expensive then Poland. Both are beautiful countries with much to see. Both Sweden & Norway are crazy expensive so doubt we will ever go there. Just spending one nite in each place on way to other destination gave us a first hand look at costs. In fact, we just came back from 2 weeks in Poland & the cost was $4,000. The only time we rented a car was when we did the Tuscany region of Italy which is all small towns & no reliable way to get around.

Our car rental in Sicily was a bargain. $245 CAD for 10 days, all insurances included, for a one way rental w/ no drop off charge. Plus another $50. CAD for a small daily road tax levy of some sort.

We find car rentals in Italy to be a bargain....as long as you stick to smaller standard transmission vehicles.

I have to learn to drive manual.

3 years ago, I took a little bike ride on my Goldwing, camping every night for 29 days. My wife flew in/out of Boston and stayed with me 12 nights. I spent $1100 including her plane fare. Our next trip will be Key West for New years. That 7 night trip will be less than $1000. $12/night camping one mile from downtown KW. We've taken 3 cruises and enjoyed them, but we don't have the fun on a cruise that we have on our camping trips. for our KW trips, we drive the truck and carry two bicycles, 2 kayaks, 3 kites and kiteboards and everything needed to cook 3 squares a day if we want. Our tent is 10 feet from the water and we spend a lot of time snorkeling, fishing and kayaking from our 'front yard". fortunately, we are both outdoors lovers, health conscious and active.

About 2k for 2 including airfare. Destination wedding Kansas City to Isla Mujares the little tourist isle off Cancun. 5 days of preplanned activity with some walking around shopping, eating, beach, etc. No diving or expensive tours.

heh heh heh - We have kansas snow birds we can visit in Mission or Port Aransas if it gets too nippy here in KCK. I have yet to convince my wife to to aggressively go 'ski lodging ' yet. :cool:

3 years ago, I took a little bike ride on my Goldwing, camping every night for 29 days. My wife flew in/out of Boston and stayed with me 12 nights. I spent $1100 including her plane fare. Our next trip will be Key West for New years. That 7 night trip will be less than $1000. $12/night camping one mile from downtown KW. We've taken 3 cruises and enjoyed them, but we don't have the fun on a cruise that we have on our camping trips. for our KW trips, we drive the truck and carry two bicycles, 2 kayaks, 3 kites and kiteboards and everything needed to cook 3 squares a day if we want. Our tent is 10 feet from the water and we spend a lot of time snorkeling, fishing and kayaking from our 'front yard". fortunately, we are both outdoors lovers, health conscious and active.

That KW trip sounds great !
How long in advance do you have to reserve camp ground space in KW as I thought its a fairly small but popular spot. Is the camping public ?

Back
Top Bottom