How much you'll really spend in retirement

My mom traveled until 84, ate out until she died at 90 and bought something if she wanted it.

In my bridge club, there is this youngster who is 92. She still drives, and do all kinds of exercise. She told my husband to do all kinds of aerobic exercise to stay healthy. I believe she travels frequently to see all her kids, they are all over the place. When I get a chance I’ll ask if she lives alone. I suspect she doesn’t.

Both of my aunts are in their early 90s but they have slowed down, not as energetic as this lady.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good laugh. These days, 65 is a long way from "elderly" for most of us.

That's what you think. >:D

In my bridge club, there is this youngster who is 92...

You do not see the ones who did not make it. Heck, many posters on this forum stopped posting, and I found out why. :(

Let me just say they were a lot closer to 65 than 92.

Last edited:
That's what you think. >:D

You do not see the ones who did not make it. Heck, many posters on this forum stopped posting, and I found out why. :(

Let me just say they were a lot closer to 65 than 92.

Yeah, my brother told me one of his work friend just passed away at 61, one year older than him. This guy got laid off and retired 2 years ago. He died while playing tennis. Interestingly enough, my brother used to text him to go for coffee every other Friday, this time he didn’t reply and two weeks later my brother found out he had he died.

I say some people die young.

I do not play tennis and never will. :cool:
The bottom line is he was reasonably healthy, did a lot of sports. When I was working at one employer, there was a study, that people die two years after retiring from this company. I got laid off, so I won’t have to worry.

Last edited:
I was joking about tennis causing death. :)

And about that "study" that people who retire from this company at 65 and die at 67, this has been circulated on the Web and mentioned here on this forum too some years ago.

It is a myth, or rather a hoax. :)

Last edited:
I was joking about tennis causing death. :)

And about that "study" that people who retire from this company at 65 and die at 67, this has been circulated on the Web and mentioned here on this forum too some years ago.

It is a myth, or rather a hoax. :)

I know you were joking. Don’t worry.
I hope it’s a hoax, because when your number is up, it’s up.
But it seems to fit this guy, two years in retirement.

For people who do not know about this hoax, it has been circulated in different forms on the Internet.

Basically, it was claimed that a study of longevity of retirees from a large megacorp showed that for "every year that you work beyond the age of 55, you lose 2 years of life".

There was even a chart showing that if you retire at 50, your average life is 86. If you retire at 65, the average life is 66.8. :)

PS. The correlation between early death and work was purportedly so strong, it was scary when I first read this "study". I guess it would be possible if the company put poison in the food it served in the cafeteria. :LOL:

Or perhaps, the HR department of the company leaked this "study" to scare the employees into taking early retirement. :LOL:

PPS. To propagate this hoax further, there were other articles claiming retirees at different megacorps also showed this mortality effect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom