How to get stock/bond prices into excel

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, I did a spreadsheet on my preferred shares and the few bonds that I have. I would like to be able to import the stock price from somewhere if possible.

I have looked online and if I were using the subscription version I see that I can do it. I do not have that version.... I have the desktop version. SOOO, does anybody know a way to get ticker prices to load automatically?

Try Google finance. =googlefinance(B4,"price") where b4 is the ticker in cell b4 or just replace b4 with the actual ticker. I use Google sheets but it should work with Excel.

No marko, I don't think it works in Excel. Sheets is a google product as is google finance, that is why they are integrated.

No marko, I don't think it works in Excel. Sheets is a google product as is google finance, that is why they are integrated.
My bad then.

Possibly this would work?

Possibly this would work?

That is for the subscription version... I have the desktop version... but thanks anyhow...

From the article...

On June 5th, 2019 Microsoft released a feature to Office 365

Not directly helpful to the OP, but one of the reasons I moved from Excel to Google Sheets. It’s mind-boggling how difficult Excel makes this. The last time I tried, I had to import web data and parse it to get a price inserted into Excel.

I use Apple’s Numbers now, but both Google and Apple provide a function to import stock prices, although with a delay.

I pull stock data, including price, dividends, etc., directly into Excel and it doesn't cost anything. I think it may be a free Microsoft service but it's been so long ago that I implemented it that I don't remember for sure. I will try to noodle it out. For example, if the symbol is in A309, then "=309.Price" gets you the price.

That is for the subscription version... I have the desktop version... but thanks anyhow...

From the article...

On June 5th, 2019 Microsoft released a feature to Office 365
There are many desktop versions of Excel, including the Office 365 desktop version which does not necessarily require a subscription. It sounds like you have some older version of the software, so it might be helpful if you tell us what you do have.

Is there a "Help / About" menu in your version of Excel? If so, what version number do you see on that screen?

If there's no Help / About menu, then when you click on the File menu does it take you to a screen that has "Account" in the lower left corner? If so, click on that and tell us what it says next to "About Excel".

This seems to be what you want. Basically you set up a Google sheet and you can draw from that without opening it.

Not directly helpful to the OP, but one of the reasons I moved from Excel to Google Sheets. It’s mind-boggling how difficult Excel makes this. The last time I tried, I had to import web data and parse it to get a price inserted into Excel.

I use Apple’s Numbers now, but both Google and Apple provide a function to import stock prices, although with a delay.
Can you use Apple's numbers on Google sheets? How do you access them? There is a 15 minute delay on GSheets but that seems to be some legal thing.

There are many desktop versions of Excel, including the Office 365 desktop version which does not necessarily require a subscription. It sounds like you have some older version of the software, so it might be helpful if you tell us what you do have.

Is there a "Help / About" menu in your version of Excel? If so, what version number do you see on that screen?

If there's no Help / About menu, then when you click on the File menu does it take you to a screen that has "Account" in the lower left corner? If so, click on that and tell us what it says next to "About Excel".
I have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2021

I can 'upgrade' to 365 but there is a yearly subscription cost.

Can you use Apple's numbers on Google sheets? How do you access them? There is a 15 minute delay on GSheets but that seems to be some legal thing.
No, both Google and Apple have their own built-in function to retrieve stock quotes, along with other information about the stock. You can’t use one with the other. The function in Google Sheets is ‘GoogleFinance’ and in Apple Numbers is ‘Stock.’

A long time ago, there was a plug-in available for Excel that worked the same way, by adding a function to Excel. But MS blocked (got rid of?) plug-ins, so that went away. The alternative was to pass in and parse a web query (XML, I think) to get a stock price, but that was a pain to setup.

I always found it baffling that Excel makes it so hard to get something as a stock price. This was a big reason I moved to Google Sheets at the time (with no regrets).

Edit to add, I suspect the quote delay is due to cost. It costs money to provide real-time quotes, which Google and Apple won’t do for free products.

Try Google finance. =googlefinance(B4,"price") where b4 is the ticker in cell b4 or just replace b4 with the actual ticker. I use Google sheets but it should work with Excel.
Thank you! This is amazing. I recently moved from Open Office to Sheets and was still manually entering prices. You’ve just made my life easier. Awesome.

Thanks for the replies... there seems to be a few workarounds... I will try the add on first as it seems to be the easiest... the video looked like another way to get it done...

It looks like some can get other data... so hope to get divis since I have a lot of variable preferred shares...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom