How to Learn the Game of Chess

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DH and I play some sort of game everyday, mostly card games. With a winter of mainly staying home coming up we are considering learning chess to play together and maybe online. Both of us played a little as teenagers but pretty much have forgotten the rules. Any suggestions how best to learn to play chess?

I had the same thing, last summer, teaching chess to an 11 yr old.

Since you have played before, just reading the rules would be a good start, it will come back pretty quickly.
So any book, or online listing of the rules would be good enough to get started.

Somebody already mentioned what I consider to be the best resource, chess.com. Not only can you play online there but they have videos, puzzles, tutorials etc. from never played chess probably up to about 1800 rated player (a strong club member, somebody who does tournaments).

There is also a great mobile app, maybe computer too, called Learn Chess with Dr. Wolf that is also particularly good from the standpoint you can play games vs the computer and it tells you why some moves are good or bad.

Once you've familiarized yourself with the rules (using chess.com tutorials or the YouTubes) and played each other if you want to get better I'd suggest something a bit counterintuitive: learn to get better by learning Chess in reverse.

Practice end game scenarios. Start as simple as mate with a queen and king vs king, rook and king vs king, pawn and king vs king, etc. and then move onto more positions. Looking up online endgame tactics or puzzles to help.

Then look at chess tactics. Again Chess.com has this, but you can start at https://www.chesstactics.org/ and after that move onto another website chesstempo.

Once you've mastered those then, and only then, start looking at chess openings. Most people want to jump into learning openings, but unless you are just interested in memorizing lines / moves doing so isn't going to help much unless you have some good fundamentals under your belt and can appreciate why the moves are being made.

Edit: Also consider Go (Baduk) as another game. Completely different than Chess but an ancient strategy game for 2 people that is easy to learn but hard to master. I learned chess my senior year in high school by hapenstance being in the library when the club met and was rated just under 2,000 a year later. However Go still eludes me. I swear it is a different way of thinking.

And of course modern boardgames are a lot of fun, check out boardgamegeeks.com for some good 2 player option ones.

Last edited:
My cousin was a terrible, terrible student, always on the verge of failing out. He was a natural artist. He could draw and compose music like nobody's business.

I was a great student with a logical mind. I was years ahead in math and science. I can't draw a thing. I'm "smart," they say.

But my cousin would smoke my behind in chess. He just had it. He had a certain vision I didn't have with my supposed superior logical mind. It was amazing. I don't know how you teach this vision, but I think you need it to enjoy chess.

I guess what I'm saying is this: once you learn, let go and use the force. I swear that's how my cousin played, and it worked!

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I think I will try chess.com first and try to spend 30 minutes or so each day learning the rules, etc (we already spend at least an hour a day on our porch playing card games). I don't know if I have the "mind" for chess but I do enjoy board and card games. We have had to give up many of our normal activities -- I am concerned I will go stir crazy when it gets too cold to I spend most of the day outside so chess might be a good activity for my mind.

Yeah, chess.com is great.....as is the game of chess, in addition to being one of the most humbling and soul crushing games you will ever play :LOL::LOL:

Yeah, chess.com is great.....as is the game of chess, in addition to being one of the most humbling and soul crushing games you will ever play :LOL::LOL:

You make chess sound a lot like golf.....

I used to play online but unfortunately my chess partner passed away and I really haven't found the desire to play. I say that when I was younger, an older brother taught me how to move the pieces, but with the partner, I learned how to play.

I wasn't that serious (like studying history of chess games and such) but while playing online, I could hold my own.

I learned a lot from reading and a Chess for Dummies book. One thing that was nice about the book was it wasn't filled with the letter/number combinations of the chess board but did a good job of explaining strategy like not moving your queen out too soon and controlling the center of the board.

I played in my teens but that was 50 years ago... I think I could pick it up again in 15 mins with a quick "read" and refresh of the old memory banks. Shouldn't be hard for anyone that's played before. Now it might take a while to get back to the level of play that I once had but it's a pretty easy game, at least for the basic moves/rules.

Last edited:
I was a crummy (C-rated) chess player in junior high a zillion years ago. At the time I found my biggest jump in ability came from learning a few openings. A couple of months of casual study made for something like a 300 point jump in my rating. Never could hold a candle to my Dad, though, a strong A rated player right up into his 80s.

I was a crummy (C-rated) chess player in junior high a zillion years ago. At the time I found my biggest jump in ability came from learning a few openings. A couple of months of casual study made for something like a 300 point jump in my rating. Never could hold a candle to my Dad, though, a strong A rated player right up into his 80s.

what is considered a C- rating?
scorewise

what is considered a C- rating?
scorewise

Forgive my egregious hyphen use. I just meant class C. I started going to the local chess club with my Dad at age 12 and got around 1250 (class D) in my first rating tournament. After the aforementioned couple of months of opening study my next rating tournament at age 13 got me somewhere in the mid 1500s - not quite up to the class B level. My Dad, at his strongest around then at 1950 or so, could still wipe the floor with me.

Anyway, at this point high school happened, priorities changed and I pretty much gave up the game. Still have the nice carved tournament set I got at age 13, but I don't think I've played a game in 30 years.

Forgive my egregious hyphen use. I just meant class C. I started going to the local chess club with my Dad at age 12 and got around 1250 (class D) in my first rating tournament. After the aforementioned couple of months of opening study my next rating tournament at age 13 got me somewhere in the mid 1500s - not quite up to the class B level. My Dad, at his strongest around then at 1950 or so, could still wipe the floor with me.

Anyway, at this point high school happened, priorities changed and I pretty much gave up the game. Still have the nice carved tournament set I got at age 13, but I don't think I've played a game in 30 years.

oh wow...you're on a whole nother level than I am. I've been stuck in the 1100-1300 range for years :(

Probably similar to chess.com.

When I played online (years ago) I played at an online place at https://play.chessbase.com/en

If I recall correctly, signing one thing was nice (along with not only playing as guest) was the account would save my games so I could "rewatch" the moves of myself and my opponents' moves.

I haven't been there in about 20 years, but do see that site is still up.

OP here--I have signed up on Chess.com (free version--I have not signed for the paid version) and am enjoying it so thanks for the suggestions to everyone. They have some good tutorials and games where you can play the computer on different levels and against other people. I am trying to spend 30 minutes or so on that site everyday. I have also played real chess (not online) with DH a few times and he can beat me like a drum. After questioning, DH admitted he use to play a lot in school. So my goal is to get to DH's level.

Back
Top Bottom