How to reschedule payment for an e-filed 1040

cathy63

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you've already e-filed your tax return and had scheduled the amount you owe to be withdrawn around April 15th, it turns out is still possible to take advantage of the new July 15th due date. I went through this process yesterday, and thought the info might also help someone else.

1. Call the IRS EFTPS Support line at 888-353-4537. Be prepared to wait on hold for about 30 minutes, even if they say hold times are less than 20 minutes.

2. When you reach a real person, ask to have your 1040 payment cancelled. They can't reschedule, so you have to cancel and then setup a separate payment. You will need to provide the following information from your 1040:
  • primary taxpayer's SSN
  • routing number for the payment
  • account number for the payment
  • amount of the payment

3. To make a new payment closer to July 15th, you have several options.
  • You can create an account at EFTPS.gov. They have to send you a letter with a PIN, so it takes a week or so to set that up, but once you have the account you can schedule payments for future dates.
  • You can use directpay.irs.gov to schedule a payment up to 30 days in advance without creating an account, but you do need to provide some info from a tax return filed within the last 6 years to prove your identity.
  • You can print and mail in form 1040-V with a check: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040v.pdf

Thanks; I know a few people who have asked about this. I have not filed and given the zero interest rate environment, if I had, I'd be inclined to just go ahead and let the debit go through if it weren't a large amount. I do all my payments through EFTPS which makes it very easy to make changes on the fly. It does take a bit of time to set up but once it is set up, it is easy to schedule quarterly and other payments.

I just signed up on EFTPS.com instead of EFTPS.gov. Is this a scam site? I am now totally freaked out.

I just signed up on EFTPS.com instead of EFTPS.gov. Is this a scam site? I am now totally freaked out.

It's fine. They're the same site. When you get your PIN in the mail, you can go to eftps.gov to finish the process of creating a password.

I have my payment scheduled for April 10... but it's only $250 so I'm not going to bother changing it.

It's fine. They're the same site. When you get your PIN in the mail, you can go to eftps.gov to finish the process of creating a password.

Thanks. Normally I am smarter than that. I don't want to get our info out there for every crook to steal.

Thanks. Normally I am smarter than that. I don't want to get our info out there for every crook to steal.

Trust me, it's already out there and has been for quite some time.

What saves us is there are so many tens of millions of others out there that they can't target us all. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom