Howdy! 40 married w/ 4 kids

An update to being Fi

It's been about 2.5 years....

I did return to w*rk to stay busy while my little kids are not yet in school. The local big corp, that has a bad reputation. Several of my acquaintances have worked for this corp in the past. I found a great manager and a supportive team. Was originally applying for an easy job, but management pointed me to direction of something a little more down my alley more mind challenging.

My biggest thing when I joined was the vacation time. They were only going to give me 2-3 weeks. That was a killer, but during the interview process they introduced unlimited vacation so when I saw the paperwork I was gladly surprised.
It's been like 98% WFH and I was riding high being the top performer in the entire division (we have weekly metrics and I've held onto the top spot for 18months - got a nice bonus and a raise). Then my manager says he needs to shift me to another part of the business since I've done so well. Well I told him off that I really didn't appreciate the new onboarding that I was going to have to do. Honestly I just got out of the busy cycle for my original desk and then he drops me back into the same busy cycle for the new desk. Not cool.

Now the company is going cheap due to bad business decisions and no pay raise/no bonus. Why bother busying my butt any further. - I've mentioned this is my plan to my colleagues. I'll just take more vacay and I've started looking outside for other jobs based on benefits (thinking of prestigious university for the free tuition for.kids). The advantage of being FI...

Finance wise, bought a new more efficient plugin hybrid (old car repairs were annoying and our carpool for school ended so needed to drive more short distances daily) work has free EV charging so that's fun to not have to pay for electric.

Insurance rates have jumped significantly, I'm going to need a new roof soon, will look for quotes on that upcoming year. I have opportunity to lower premium.

NW increase to 4.3-4.4mill
I've banked everything I've earned since my assets produce enough to support expenses x2. Been trying to roth convert and mega back door my 401k to be more tax efficient (so for most of the year it seems like I'm working for free since everything hits the tax advanced accounts). Looks like my pension gained in value along. Still operating expenses at less than $40k even with the inflation on insurance. We've increased our travel budget now as well.

Kids activities have increased. Kids play multiple instruments, code, basketball, volleyball, tennis, flag football, some with several lessons that we pay out of a kids activity fund.

I can't stand restaurant prices these days, but McD has some good deals often so it's still a treat for the kids every now and then when we travel. Honestly I think most of the time I could whip up something really good and not spend anything close to what we spend on restaurant meals.

My plan is three more years to go working. Or just waiting for them to offer severance and another round of layoffs.

Back
Top Bottom