HSA contribution with SS pre Medicare?

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
All my searches lead to articles about not being able to contribute to an HSA once on Medicare.

My question is about contributing to an HSA if I am under age 65 and receiving Social Security benefits.

If I have an HDHP with HSA can I still make contributions if I start my SS benefit? I will be 64 at the end of 2019, I will start Medicare Feb 1, 2020.

I'll admit that I don't always have the correct search terms when I Google!

The collective wisdom here is often a better place to ask these kinds of questions. ;)

If I have an HDHP with HSA can I still make contributions if I start my SS benefit? I will be 64 at the end of 2019, I will start Medicare Feb 1, 2020.
Yes, as long as the HDHP is HSA compliant. Up through and including Jan '20.

Thank you, Michael. I just needed that confirmed.

I would really like to start my SS in 2019 and it's one of the numbers (100% of SS) that I'm using for my ACA MAGI calculation for the subsidy.

2019 will be our last year for any HSA contributions. I may not bother for Jan 2020 as I may just enroll in whatever the cheapest plan is for the one month. DH will get back on his retiree insurance for 2020 if he still gets the current allowance. He starts Medicare 4/1/2020.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom