HSA or not?

It seems a bit strange to pay more for HSA eligible policy. I have had a High deductible HSA eligible policy for years (currently emoloyed) but it is also the cheapest option. Same with my wife's plans.

I would weigh all the costs, not just tax angle.

It seems a bit strange to pay more for HSA eligible policy. I have had a High deductible HSA eligible policy for years (currently emoloyed) but it is also the cheapest option. Same with my wife's plans.

I would weigh all the costs, not just tax angle.
In theory, a policy with higher deductibles, co-pays, and out of pocket should have a lower premium - all other things being equal. However, when plans pull out of ACA marketplaces, that leaves the remaining plan(s) shouldering a bigger share of the risk. The actuaries are pricing for extra risk.

Some non-HSA policies are cheaper because they have even higher deductibles and max OOP costs, higher than the HSA rules allow. That's what I found in my case. I only have to pay about $25/month more for an HSA policy, worth it to me for the HSA benefits, but I have the added benefit of slightly lower deductible/OOP.

I understand that as a single parent age 55 I can contribute $7900 (family) to an HSA? Is this in addition to any over 50 IRA contributions? I like to fund my roth as much as possible every year. I am self employed - not retired. I have a good bit in taxable account so it would be nice to have it set aside for future medical expenses.

My income is estimated so I am trying to lower it as much as possible for 2018 "just in case"

I understand that as a single parent age 55 I can contribute $7900 (family) to an HSA? Is this in addition to any over 50 IRA contributions? I like to fund my roth as much as possible every year. I am self employed - not retired. I have a good bit in taxable account so it would be nice to have it set aside for future medical expenses.

My income is estimated so I am trying to lower it as much as possible for 2018 "just in case"

For 2018 the maximum family contribution will be $6900 and the catch-up is $1000 for a total of $7900.

See article here which includes explanation of how the catch-up works under various scenarios (keep scrolling down).

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandto...es/irs-sets-2018-hsa-contribution-limits.aspx

HSA contributions are independent of IRA contributions. One does not cut into the others limit.

In my area, exchange HSA plans do not have copays. I’m sure there are negotiated rates tho I do not know what they are. Still, I think it’s the best choice to lower magi.

Back
Top Bottom