HSA strategies?

Many are saying keep your receipts but of course now days I have few hardcopy receipts. So what is considered sufficient as a receipt? A pdf file that I save on my computer that can be printed out seems OK but a lot of work to go back and find them all on various websites. For 2020 I had a few thousand dollars in medical bills that I compiled in a spreadsheet from my healthcare providers site, is that sufficient?

Actually I have been thinking in terms of bills not receipts. For example when I paid the bills early last year I paid them all online so if I didn't print the "receipt" then I'm not sure I can go back and get something official.

What should be saved that is sufficient for the IRS?

I think I may have just ran afoul of a rule when I tried to post a link. I did a quick Google search of "irs receipt sufficient" and there were many clear descriptions of what the IRS needs for verification. Sorry to bother you.

I keep EOBs and bills for medical bills and bills, credit card receipts or whatever for vision and dental. My pile fo 2010-2019 was ~2 1/2" thick as I recall.

I presumed that he was trying to be funny but was being moderately offensive because the term objectifies women, but then I'm a woman.

That is true. A trophy is an object. A treasured object, but still.

Honey is a sweet object, so I guess that's out. (Sorry, hun.)

And please stop calling me a hunk. I mean that's not even a full object, is it?

Sorry. I really couldn't imagine anybody finding it offensive, but I'm convinced I was wrong about that.

Context matters. Perhaps some slack could be given to those referring affectionately to their own spouse?

I'm afraid to use the term "wife" now, because it defines her in relation to a man.

Last edited:
That is true. A trophy is an object. A treasured object, but still.

Honey is a sweet object, so I guess that's out. (Sorry, hun.)

And please stop calling me a hunk. I mean that's not even a full object, is it?

Sorry. I really couldn't imagine anybody finding it offensive, but I'm convinced I was wrong about that.

Context matters. Perhaps some slack could be given to those referring affectionately to their own spouse?

I'm afraid to use the term "wife" now, because it defines her in relation to a man.
Slack given, I originally read right past it assuming you didn't really think so little of your wife. But, it is a belittling term and different from honey which is a reference to something sweet or wife which only defines the married state in the same way that husband does. I really only commented because it appeared that only men were chiming in with their opinion of the term being just fine. I do realize you were joking though. Peace.

I keep EOBs and bills for medical bills and bills, credit card receipts or whatever for vision and dental. My pile fo 2010-2019 was ~2 1/2" thick as I recall.
I have a single shoe box for receipts since 2009 and it's not yet half full. And I've been saving all receipts, not just over $75. Last year I decided to scan them too. I think I'll stop bothering to scan those under $75 now that I know it's not required. Or maybe scan and not keep the paper. I write a unique ID (year-#) on each receipt to correlate with my spreadsheet.

And I probably shouldn't keep this alive, but look up the definition of "trophy wife", not just "trophy".

tro·phy wife

/ˈtrōfē ˌwīf/

noun derogatory•informal

noun: trophy wife; plural noun: trophy wives

1. a young, attractive wife regarded as a status symbol for an older man.

Definitions from Oxford Languages

I presumed that he was trying to be funny but was being moderately offensive because the term objectifies women, but then I'm a woman.

I didn't read moderately offensive into it at all... I hope that you get over it.

Last edited:
I didn't read moderately offensive into it at all... I hope that you get over it.

I have no doubt the OP meant Trophy Wife innocently enough, but it's just another on a long list of "innocent terms" that have their roots in outdated stereotypes. The list is long and tiresome, and when someone points it out, they get told to get over it. Great, nice.

Anyway. Yes, keep receipts, no I don't have a shoebox, but my insurance payment records are online and saved for long enough. DH and I have always maxed out our HSA's and always will. "But we're healthy" can easily be absorbed with a few dental issues, a twisted knee, one iffy blood test, etc.

Ah, but you are male. I am over it. Not a big deal to me and not my husband, so I'm good. Just thought to second that it's not a totally innocuous term. I hope you can accept that many women may see it differently than you do. Peace.

We also keep all of our EOBs, bills and receipts and at the end of the year I make a list and come up with the total for the year. We have receipts now from 2015-2020. It occurs to me that we should really have them in a fire proof safe, as they represent money in the bank, if we ever need some extra cash without effecting our ACA cliff and without dipping into Roths. Otherwise our plan is to use the HSA money for Medicare premiums.

derogatory

Yeah, I get that, but again context matters. If I refer to somebody else's wife who obviously matches the stereotype, does that not seem different than the context I used it in? Neither my wife nor I match the stereotype. You don't even need to know me -- just the age difference I highlighted.

There are many similar context-dependent meanings. Right, Einstein?

(See what I did there? :))

Edited to add: I do appreciate *some* of the input in this thread. I changed the HSA PoD beneficiary after I learned of the tax consequences (it was previously my kid).

Last edited:
Yeah, I get that, but again context matters. If I refer to somebody else's wife who obviously matches the stereotype, does that not seem different than the context I used it in? Neither my wife nor I match the stereotype. You don't even need to know me -- just the age difference I highlighted.

There are many similar context-dependent meanings. Right, Einstein?

(See what I did there? :))

Edited to add: I do appreciate *some* of the input in this thread. I changed the HSA PoD beneficiary after I learned of the tax consequences (it was previously my kid).
One would think you'd also learn not to dig your heels in with excuses, half definitions, and more insults after it's been pointed out multiple times you used a derogatory term. I imagine there are women on here who have been demeaned by their husbands or boyfriends and don't like seeing any woman referred to in terms like that.

Feel free to have the last word, if you insist. I'm done here.

One would think you'd also learn not to dig your heels in with excuses, half definitions, and more insults after it's been pointed out multiple times you used a derogatory term. I imagine there are women on here who have been demeaned by their husbands or boyfriends and don't like seeing any woman referred to in terms like that.

Feel free to have the last word, if you insist. I'm done here.

RB, don't be mad. Humor is hard. Especially on the net. Really, I wasn't insulting you. I thought it was a great example of context-dependent meaning, so I *had* to toss it in there.

Not digging in as much as I just like exploring these things *without* personal attacks.

I understand how somebody could be sensitive to language, but in terms of the sexism argument, I really don't see it.

As I said, before I used the term, I paused and considered if anybody could take it the wrong way. I misjudged it.

Just want to add, after this blew up, I googled it a bit. Target (the store) found themselves in a similar pickle with a t-shirt.

So apparently, even if somebody self-identifies jokingly as "trophy," it's a trigger. No judgement from me, but I just found it an interesting data point.

Mods: feel free to close this thread. I think it's deviated sufficiently from the initial purpose. Still some good discussion, though!

Last edited:
We also keep all of our EOBs, bills and receipts and at the end of the year I make a list and come up with the total for the year. We have receipts now from 2015-2020. It occurs to me that we should really have them in a fire proof safe, as they represent money in the bank, if we ever need some extra cash without effecting our ACA cliff and without dipping into Roths. Otherwise our plan is to use the HSA money for Medicare premiums.

My greater worry was that something would happen to me and neither DW nor DD would know of the opportunity to withdraw HSA money tax free and the money would ultimately be taxed when DD or DS inherit it.

Once I withdrew 2010-2019, I no longer had to worry so much about it and the money was in my checking account to be used for Medicare premiums or hookers.

Now all I need to worry about is withdrawing the last year's eligible expenses each year.

On the trophy wife thing, it isn't always derogatory. It certainly is where the trophy wife is a much younger, very attractive bimbo... but there are other cases where the trophy wife is much younger, very attractive but also very smart and talented and the term is more envy of the lucky husband than derogatory. And the sometimes it is just in jest. Anyway, my 2 cents.

I won't be using the term again anytime soon. :)

You left out tax free on death too. Like any other IRA. HSA is essentially tax free magic from first contribution until beyond the grave.

You left out tax free on death too. Like any other IRA. HSA is essentially tax free magic from first contribution until beyond the grave.

That is not my understanding. As discussed in this thread, on my death, the HSA can go to my wife and it becomes her HSA.

If it went to my kid instead, the whole amount is treated as taxable income the year I die.

Did I get that wrong?

My understanding is that transfer is taxfree. It does not maintain taxfree status, but there are no taxes on transfer. just like ira.

I'm not a tax lawyer or a CPA, but I don't get that sense at all. Rules are different for spouse vs others (which is why I changed the PoD beneficiary based on information I learned in this thread).

Edit: main difference for non-spouse may be the "stretch." In any case, different rules for sure.

Last edited:
Hopefully you've been saving those medical receipts for the last 10 years, so that you can make a tax-free withdrawal.

This is a great point and worth putting into action no matter where you are towards retirement. Hold onto the health receipts and you can use them down the road. It doesn't matter holding the paper or, if you are comfortable using a computer, scanning them and keep easy access to them very easily. My dorky-self has folders:
HSA > DW > 2019 or 2020 or 2021...
HSA > Myself > 2019 or 2020 or 2021...
In the main HSA folder is one Excel document that keeps track of all the documents in each folder with columns: Date; Company/Dr; Description; Cost... and a Total cost at the top that adds them up. Also, it has separate spreadsheets for each year.

Attached is the Excel HSA Template you can build your own documentation from (whether holding the paper receipts or scanning them)

Edit: Downloaded the attached document and you might need to redo the Total costs for each person in cell D1 to: =SUM(D3:D1048576) and cell I1 to: =SUM(I3:I1048576)

Attachments

• HSA Template.xls
    9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind--if you itemize on your taxes and have taken a deduction for medical expenses then you cannot also take those same medical expenses out of your HSA.

Whoa. So I need to track expenses in non-itemized years vs itemized years? My life was so simple before this thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom