Hypothetical question for someone in the entertainment/television industry

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sometime within the last couple of months, I woke up around 1:30 AM & couldn't get back to sleep, so I turned the TV on.

The channel was Comedy Central, & an episode of Tosh.0 was playing. I was kind of shocked to hear the F word being used.

I've also seen un-cut celebrity roasts, & movies on Comedy Central in the past. (but always late at night/early in the morning)

Don't ask me why, but it got me thinking.
If Comedy Central decided to, could they begin showing R-rated movies, & other types of unedited programming 24-7, ala, HBO-Cinemax-Showtime-Starz, Etc ?

I suspect the establishment, (HBO-Cinemax-Showtime-Starz) would do everything in their power to prevent this.

Cable is cable. There are no means by which uncut programming of that sort could be barred from a network that chooses to broadcast it. Only pressure from cable companies that wish to keep their lower tiers less explicit prevents that now.

I've had a dream where I was watching TV, and I never have purchased cable in my life, so strictly an over-the-air guy, and the scene gets a bit too hot for TV, and I wonder "how are they getting away with that?" :LOL:

I suspect that there are very old rules for OTA, but as the expert opinion above says, probably voluntary on the part of cable operators. I've been in hotels where I didn't even want my kids to see the channel name, much less the content!

I've had a dream where I was watching TV, and I never have purchased cable in my life, so strictly an over-the-air guy, and the scene gets a bit too hot for TV, and I wonder "how are they getting away with that?" :LOL:

I suspect that there are very old rules for OTA, but as the expert opinion above says, probably voluntary on the part of cable operators. I've been in hotels where I didn't even want my kids to see the channel name, much less the content!

I've cut the cord so mainly watch OTA programming with the exception of Amazon Prime streaming but only watch that occasionally.

One OTA program that I do watch regularly is "Criminal Minds" (bring back Hotch!!). I wonder often while watching "how are they getting away with showing that?" Not provocative in the sense of nudity but crime scenes with some quite graphic. I suppose if zombies and vampires on other shows are okay, then graphic crime scenes done through makeup are too.

Back
Top Bottom