I am (not) Retired

Congrats! I think a couples massage and nice lunch are in order today!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

You posted this 6 hours ago and haven't posted since, In-control. That is a good sign, as it means you are not wasting away the first days of your retirement on the internet, like some of us reprobates :LOL:

Congratulations, and welcome to the rest of your life!

I post from work...:D I wouldn't have time if I was retired

Congrats I hope to follow soon (but not soon enough)

WOW - thanks all. Life is so wonderful sometimes. Your support really makes me smile.

UPDATE! The following morning i am getting a cup of Joe with the CIO next to me who congratulates me. I say thanks - do you know all the facts? He said no he just got a forwarded e-mail. I told him all I wanted was a 4 day weekend and more work/life balance. I would produce the same quantity and quality of work @ 40 hrs in 25. You pay me less, get the same, I get benefits and we both win.

4 hrs later my mgr tells me. The CIO does not want to see you go. You get to be PT, and work from home on Fridays. Which means I am in the office 2 days a week with full benefits.

How could I say no?!

So I am semi retired with benifits

Congrats! Hope they find a replacement soon!

+1

Make sure to keep it really PT so they have to find someone soon!

EDIT: Oops! I didn't read down to the bottom of the thread before posting. Sounds like this is a good way for you to ease into retirement. Hopefully you'll have a lot less BS and useless meetings, which in itself will make you more productive. Good luck!

Last edited:
Why does it seem so hard for companies to do this? I've been telling them for the last 4 years I didn't want more pay--keep the raise--I want more vacation or shorter work week. No go. They just push harder. Telling them I'm planning on moving on soon. Maybe they will make me the same offer they made you!

Why does it seem so hard for companies to do this? I've been telling them for the last 4 years I didn't want more pay--keep the raise--I want more vacation or shorter work week. No go. They just push harder. Telling them I'm planning on moving on soon. Maybe they will make me the same offer they made you!

I worded it in such a way that they got the same output and quality and it would cost them less. I really pushed the WorkLife balance word saying that all I want is a four day weekend. I stated that I was flexible and lets try it for a year and see how it goes. My manager originally said no, the CIO said yes. Turns out we have alot of people working on reduced schedules. Everyone wins!

It takes a mature and trusting manager to go along with this. Eventually smart co. will realize the vast experienced pool of people out their who want to contribute simply for the pleasure of it. With enough $ for some fun and benefits.
:cool:

Average age for an electrical engineer is now >50. I suspect industry will be seeing a lot more of this kind of request and will have to deal with it. Still not out the door but one manager told me the problem has to do with how this company's accounting works. They can get funds for contract labor but are restricted on employee headcount. End result is discussions of doing contract labor after I leave full employment behind.

They can get funds for contract labor but are restricted on employee headcount.

Sounds like a case of "We've always done it this way". Math is not my strong point but even I could figure a way to change "headcount" to "work hours". Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom