I am unofficially RETIRED!!

Congratulations!

Yahoo! Congratulations on the emancipation.
Hope the surreal dread of the call from w*rk abates soon.
Enjoy!

One starting junior high, the oldest starting high school. If they want to go to grad school, they are on their own.:LOL:

Interesting

DW and I always thought that the example of the "work ethic" was one of the key parts of our kid's education. I have no problem at all with folks who put in their time, make their pile, and chuck it. Nor is there anything wrong with a "stay at home" parent. But teaching kids is a major task, and they learn by example, not precept. The connection for them between working hard now and reward tomorrow is not clear, it has to be taught and learned.

FWIW in many cases it's fairly rich kids who don't get the connection between work and reward, but the principle is the same.

How do you convey to a kid what it took to live a life of ease? Or does it not matter to people in general?

Interesting

DW and I always thought that the example of the "work ethic" was one of the key parts of our kid's education. I have no problem at all with folks who put in their time, make their pile, and chuck it. Nor is there anything wrong with a "stay at home" parent. But teaching kids is a major task, and they learn by example, not precept. The connection for them between working hard now and reward tomorrow is not clear, it has to be taught and learned.

FWIW in many cases it's fairly rich kids who don't get the connection between work and reward, but the principle is the same.

How do you convey to a kid what it took to live a life of ease? Or does it not matter to people in general?

I have thought about that a lot. While I believe that a work ethic is important to teach, I would not really be true to my real priorities if they also didn't see me getting the reward at the end of the line, or enjoying my retirement. It is kind of disingenuous to tell our kids that hard work is the only way of life, while we strive to leave the work world. Kind of like seeing your parents fight. It is important for them to see them make up to understand the full picture. I want to, and I am, teaching my kids that hard work is important to get what you want out of life, but that it must be balanced with leisure. Even better if you can disregard the pay potential of a career and focus on the enjoyment potential. Work hard, save, then retire young is my message. I teach it and I live it.

Back
Top Bottom