I could use some advice

Thank you all for the support, suggestions, guidance, and experiences you shared in the posts and messages. They have been helpful for me to maintain a positive perspective and how I can best deal with the problems that we both are facing.

I have been working on a list of websites for places in his city that he can contact for financial help (low income housing, medical, food stamps, etc.) and also a list of suggestions for fun low or no cost things he can do for a more enjoyable/fulfilling lifestyle. I will offer this to him in a few days when I drive down to see him. The rest is up to him whether he considers any of it or not. I am not about to tell him or anyone else how to run their life. I just want to have a nice visit with my friend. We have never had an argument or cross word for over a half a century and I don't plan of it happening now.

Although this is a mainly a forum for financial discussions I knew this was the place where I would receive compassionate and thoughtful help. Thank you all again.

+1 with others. You are a good friend. Have a heart to heart d tell him that it tears you apart to see him destroying his life and relationships and convince him to get into AA. Where I used to live there was a homeless shelter for such men where they could spend the night but with strict rules and they also had resources to help them get back on their feet. He may need something like that.

In your quest for agency's did you find the Oxford House? I believe that they help some folks who have issues like your friend is facing.

In your quest for agency's did you find the Oxford House? I believe that they help some folks who have issues like your friend is facing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked and they don't have anything that would be reasonably close to where he is located. However, I will certainly keep it in mind for future reference.

Cheers!

Oxford houses are good and there are others but most require a person to be sober for 30 days before moving in.

Back
Top Bottom