I finally did it!

RenoJay

Full time employment: Posting here.
I joined this forum over 10 years ago and became interested in the concept of FIRE. But I haven't been active for a few years, because I felt like a posieur. I kept OMY'ing for year after year after year, because my j*b was actually enjoyable, had great colleagues and made a great income working from home with very little actual w*rk. In fact, in 2021 I earned over $1 million in commissions realistically w*rking about 10 hours/week. That's why it was so hard to walk away.

But I realized I simply had no passion for it anymore. I was "phoning it in" for client calls, and likely not giving them the 110% effort they deserved. Plus, I'm 50 (round numbers are great times for life decisions), and my kids are still at an age where they enjoy my company. :)

So I did it! I told the company a few days ago that I'll finish up deals with my existing clients over the next 1-2 months, and then I'm retiring!!!! I just made the change on my LinkedIn profile, which somehow made it feel official.

Today, I took my son skiing for a couple hours in the middle of the day on a nearly empty mountain. No idea what I'll do tomorrow.

Good for you!

I joined this forum over 10 years ago and became interested in the concept of FIRE. But I haven't been active for a few years, because I felt like a posieur. I kept OMY'ing for year after year after year, because my j*b was actually enjoyable, had great colleagues and made a great income working from home with very little actual w*rk. In fact, in 2021 I earned over $1 million in commissions realistically w*rking about 10 hours/week. That's why it was so hard to walk away.

But I realized I simply had no passion for it anymore. I was "phoning it in" for client calls, and likely not giving them the 110% effort they deserved. Plus, I'm 50 (round numbers are great times for life decisions), and my kids are still at an age where they enjoy my company. :)

So I did it! I told the company a few days ago that I'll finish up deals with my existing clients over the next 1-2 months, and then I'm retiring!!!! I just made the change on my LinkedIn profile, which somehow made it feel official.

Today, I took my son skiing for a couple hours in the middle of the day on a nearly empty mountain. No idea what I'll do tomorrow.

Congrats. Just curious about your current job. I would love to have a job like that.

Congrats. Just curious about your current job. I would love to have a job like that.

Thanks. I've been selling businesses, and it's all done via email and phone. But 2021 was a banner year based on market euphoria and easy money. My typical year's paycheck (including 2022) is a fraction of what 2021 produced.

Congratulations on your retirement!
Hope to hear more from you as you go about your journey.

Back
Top Bottom