I Had a Taste ... I'm a Believer

I’ve been around the industry for years. In WA state, acres planted to red delicious are worth less than bare ground. It’s because you have the cost to tear out the old planting before you start over with something you can make money with. Many new acres going into Honeycrisp so we can expect the store price to come down over the next few years.

Tons of Fugi and Gala coming in from NZ during US off season. Great price and product for the consumer.

I suggest Jazz apples! I like pink lady too.

Last edited:
problem with red delicious is they turn mealy way too quickly. I like my apples crisp.

Gala or Granny Smith. Agree that Red Delicious seem too mealy/mushy.

I like Honeycrisp, Fuji, and Envy the best. Also like Gala, Pink Lady, Jazz and Golden Delicious. I find the skin of Red Delicious too bitter and agree with others that they seem mealy more often than other varieties. I won’t eat Red Delicious.

Granny Smith for baking or the ones from our backyard...no idea what they are. Galas to eat or maybe Fugi. No Red D’s.

+1 on Red Delicious being mealy.

I remember that 40 years ago, Red Delicious was about all that was available in the supermarkets. Then, Gala was introduced, then Fuji, then Honeycrisp, although I might not remember the order correctly.

The latter used to command a premium price, but I start to see a local market selling Gala for $1 for 3 lbs.

Honeycrisp is my favorite!

+2. We’re a Honeycrisp household when available, Granny Smith otherwise. But Galas are also good.

Honey Crisp for me. I don’t know why but at my store the Honey Crisp season starts with nice small sized apples then later ones are much larger.

I prefer Fuji apples and have never had a mealy one. Admittedly, I don't eat apples often but use them around the holidays for my Waldorf salads. The Fuji stay firm.

Honeycrisp then Fuji. Don’t like the flavor of Red Delicious at all. Gala - so so.

I am not picky between Honeycrisp, Fuji, and Gala, but Audrey's preference is like my wife's and daughter's.

I like Gold delicious better than red delicious. I like Honeycrisp best. But I have a lot of these apple trees in my yard.

I bet the fruit rats can eat any of these. They are not picky. When I first bought a surveillance camera to combat the rats in my attic, I was not quite convinced that I had any roof rat left. So, I put a lone cherry up in my attic in front of the surveillance camera to see for myself. They were suspicious of any changes, and it took 3 days until a rat showed up and snatched the moldy and shriveled fruit.

Last edited:
I prefer Jonagolds, Braeburns, and Winesaps - and Golden Delicious but only when fresh off the tree. Store bought Goldens are a total disappointment. Just-picked they're incredibly good.

Of these, I can only find Braeburns in stores locally. Pink Lady are also good and I can get them here. Honeycrisp OK in a pinch.

For cooking, +1 on Gravensteins - we use them to dry and make apple sauce. But I have to drive 400 miles for the Gravensteins (we pick up 80 lbs a year when visiting family at the end of summer).

I find Galas too insipid. Not enough apple flavor. They're sweet and bland.

I grew up in apple country and really miss them. They just don't grow well down here.

I again tried Gala and Fuji apples for a short-term diet I'm on for low-acidity. I can't believe people who eat Gala's complained about how mealy reds are! The Galas are soft to the touch, and very mealy when I bite in, and I picked the best ones I could find. This is how I remember them before so I don't think it was a bad batch. I rarely get a red that's this mushy.

The Fujis are good. As good as the reds. Going forward I'll probably pick whichever of fujis and reds that look better.

When I buy apples I look for shiny ones not dull ones. I know that it all might b just polish but I do believe that it helps me in finding better apples.

Back
Top Bottom