I hate to say thie but america needs a military draft .

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We need to show the Iranians that we mean business. Otherwise they will have a nuclear weapon.

We need a 5 million man army AGAIN. Rumsfeld is gone and his ideas well look at Iraq do not work. Smaller faster, yada yada yada.

No we need bigtime boots on the ground from all walks of american society.

Not just people who join.

As an alternative, Uncle Sam could (at least in theory) learn to get along with other people, and to mind his own business.

newguy888 said:
We need to show the Iranians that we mean business. Otherwise they will have a nuclear weapon.

We need a 5 million man army AGAIN. Rumsfeld is gone and his ideas well look at Iraq do not work. Smaller faster, yada yada yada.

No we need bigtime boots on the ground from all walks of american society.

Not just people who join.

I disagree. I do not believe we should waste the lives of our kids because of a bunch of Islamofascists. A few strategically placed cruise missiles should take care of the problem.

Patrick said:
I disagree. I do not believe we should waste the lives of our kids because of a bunch of Islamofascists. A few strategically placed cruise missiles should take care of the problem.

Missles do not do the trick, remember that shock and awe stuff??

jeff2006 said:
As an alternative, Uncle Sam could (at least in theory) learn to get along with other people, and to mind his own business.

Right, and maybe the terrorists will just leave us alone :LOL:

newguy888 said:
Missles do not do the trick, remember that shock and awe stuff??

Of course I remember it. Different situation. Shock and awe was very effective at achieving its objective. The problem was we followed it up with troops and tried to install a democratic government.

This time (for Iran) use missiles, no troops. Take out the "research facilities," "power reactors," or whatever other psuedonym they use for their nuclear bomb development program and keep the troops at home. But if we don't do it, the Israelis will.

saluki9 said:
Right, and maybe the terrorists will just leave us alone :LOL:

Saluki -- why don't you enlist, or re-enlist, and go fight with them? If you're interested, look into the Yellow Elephant movement. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What if the draft were to consist of early retirees? Would you still be so gung-ho about it?

Patrick said:
Of course I remember it. Different situation. Shock and awe was very effective at achieving its objective. The problem was we followed it up with troops and tried to install a democratic government.

This time (for Iran) use missiles, no troops. Take out the "research facilities," "power reactors," or whatever other psuedonym they use for their nuclear bomb development program and keep the troops at home. But if we don't do it, the Israelis will.

Are you ready to sit in colder homes, sit on gasoline lines?

remember the straits of hormooooooz are very close to Iran, do you believe the oil facilities in the persian gulf will be safe?

Nope it will all be in flames and the crazy people in the middle east DO NOT CARE if it causes americans to suffer! They will then cause all kinds of things to go bang. We will need a large force to destroy and conquor the country IF WE decide to attack the Iranians.

We will have a high price to pay since no real ability to talk to 11th century crazy bin laden followers and the shia in Iran who quite frankly have embraced suicide bombers. They will have to be defeated , and I am a liberal democrat. Go figure.

There ya go........ that approach seems to be working for Israel in terms of keeping the entire population connected.

The only special circumstances I would consider would be a priority to draft male physical education instructors nearing retirement. ;) They should go first!

TromboneAl said:
What if the draft were to consist of early retirees? Would you still be so gung-ho about it?

Never gung ho about a draft but the realization that the world has gone nuts, people cannot talk to each other, arabs, muslims have embraced a suicide tactic that is now ingrained in the fiber of that part of the world and what we USE THE OIL FROM THERE!

Yes americans will have to prepare for the worst.

youbet said:
There ya go........ that approach seems to be working for Israel in terms of keeping the entire population connected.

The only special circumstances I would consider would be a priority to draft male physical education instructors nearing retirement. ;) They should go first!
You know if I could be guarenteed that I would be HUNTING DOWN BIN LADEN and AL ZWAHIRI and his ilk I would want to go even at 51.

The problem is we are in Iraq.

I notice that all of those gung ho for the draft on this forum don't have draft age kids.

It's easy to be pro-draft when you have "no dog in the fight"...

newguy888 said:
Are you ready to sit in colder homes, sit on gasoline lines?

Why should I? I don't plan to be using oil. Geothermal heat, solar and in a 2-3 years a car that runs on electricity.

There are always options.
As for the strangle-hold oil has on us, we have lots of technologies that could replace oil. Problem is, we have an ex-oil man in the white house and the oil companies throw around money like there is no tomorrow (someday that will be the case for them:)).

We pump 40% of our own oil, that is plenty for plastic, tires, etc. Get off oil and we have little worries.

Maybe Switzerland will invade Iran. Oh, I forgot . . . the Swiss don't seem to be involved in the same kinds of problems that Uncle Sam seems always to be fretting about.

On drafting early retirees: yes, but get the wannabees first, especially the ones with lots of guns. They're the meanest and toughest. And besides, they know more stuff.

Yes, you really have to remember what it was like to be eligible for the draft. Anyone remember their draft lottery number (mine was 175)?

newguy888 said:
You know if I could be guarenteed that I would be HUNTING DOWN BIN LADEN and AL ZWAHIRI and his ilk I would want to go even at 51.

We aren't talking about you wanting to go, we're talking about you being drafted and sent to do whatever needs to be done! :eek:

Well I do have dogs in the fight son is 27 son in law 26 young nephew is 20.

Face real facts until the world becomes kumbaya we better be strong as getout because China is lurking in the future.

newguy888 said:
China is lurking in the future.

As I said, Uncle Sam will need to learn to get along with other people . . . war is not the solution

TromboneAl said:
Yes, you really have to remember what it was like to be eligible for the draft. Anyone remember their draft lottery number (mine was 175)?

newguy888 said:

newguy888...... this is your chance to redeem yourself for having that high draft lottery number. You can be first for the new, all inclusive draft. ;)

newguy888 said:
Well I do have dogs in the fight son is 27 son in law 26 young nephew is 20.

The Vietnam draft was 19, not 26 or 27. I unfortunately remember it well as many friends and family member sweated their draft numbers. It was a terrible time, don't wish it back...

Back
Top Bottom