I love to travel but ?

Oh, yeah, the closing up of the house, boarding of the dog with a friend and the getting there is a pain. I usually travel coach, too, unless I can wrangle first class using dividend miles. I hope to travel off-season more in retirement. I don't travel at all for w*rk and I mainly go to my place in FL or visit friends or relatives in appealing locales by way of vacation these days.
And what the heck, when I am retired and take some really nice vacation once a year, I can break down and spring for first class plane tickets. It won't put me in the poor house and making life easier is a good use of money.

I hate dirty bathrooms and uncomfortable beds. I also don't trust hotel room floors and always wear flipflops (I really hate flipflops, but not as much as dirty floors).

. However, I find you can buy your way out of it by doing premium travel.

Our next trip is to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific in First Class. When we get to the airport I expect there will be no-one in queue when we check in. Often for FC or even Business there is a line for premium travellers to get thru the TSA checks. I go thru the nude-o-scopes, don't bother me in the least. From there we will head to the First Class lounge where we will relax until our flight boards from it's own entry point. We will then plonk our butts down in 1A and 1K in our spacious seating with plenty of space for carry on. No-one is going to be hitting us in the head with their 14 bags of carry on as they make their way to the back of the plane. We will then be handed a refreshing glass of Krug, the first of many we will enjoy on the 14 hour flight. When we have eaten all we could possibly want, when we are ready for a nap they will make our bed for us.

This is definitely the way to travel . Now, if they could promise no turbulence in first class I would gladly pay the premium .:)

I hate dirty bathrooms and uncomfortable beds. I also don't trust hotel room floors and always wear flipflops (I really hate flipflops, but not as much as dirty floors).
Approx 10 years ago, I bought a pair of Okabashi slide ons at a drug store for $9. They are made of a very dense cushiony plastic material. Best of all, they have arch support.
I liked them so much I went back the next day and grabbed a 2nd pair. Talk about comfortable and such a low price. MADE IN USA too. :D

This an updated version of the 2 pairs I still own. I never thought they would last this long.
Messina
There are styles for men too. ;)

They take up very little room in the outer pocket of a suitcase. I've taken them on every trip I've made, business or leisure. They are perfect for the shower, pool, walking on the beach, or just hanging out.

Turbulence is the best part.

Here is a devil's advocate point of view.

We are complaining about hassles, but consider that you are sitting in a chair and are magically transported through the sky to a faraway location. How would cavemen view our bitching?

Maybe the same way I do (about many things, not just travel) - How is it they do these amazing, miraculous things, make them happen routinely and safely at a price people can afford, yet they screw up the 1% part that doesn't seem that hard, and that 1% sucks most of the joy out of the 99% miracle?

Probably a good chunk of people riding up the front are probably like myself, there on points.

As I said, next trip I'm riding up front and I'm sure that is costing me less than those travelling steerage.

How can this be? Those points must be costing you something?

-ERD50

Am I the only one who enjoys people watching at airports? Just flew from Newark - New Orleans (RT) with a 43 min layover in Houston en route to NOLA. Had a great time...people are interesting...headed out to CA in a few weeks...then to San Antonio in Aug (ugh!)...actually looking forward to both trips! Do random people annoy me during the process - of course, but I still enjoy travelling more than not!

I've been traveling steady since March 2010 ... I love it...the trip to our destinations as well as the destinations...

My class A never leaves the ground though....might be the main reason

I agree that all of the many hassles mentioned can be a pain in the butt. However, in our case travel is one of our primary retirement activities and we still enjoy it a lot. Probably fly about 20 times a year with 2-3 of these very long haul to Europe or Asia. We are lucky that we can afford to buy our way out of many of these issues with first class airline seats and five star hotels. Would never consider a flight longer than 4hours in economy.
Leaving for 2weeks in Tuscany later today. Meeting some friends on a bike trip. Looking forward to it despite all the hassles we will experience.

Un-consoled babies riding either in business class or seated right behind business class in economy are probably my biggest peeve. Seems like there is at least one on very flight. On my last trip from Manila to Tokyo, there was a kid who cried the entire flight, and it escalated to the point that I was thinking to myself that ifthe mama didn't get the crying under control that the kid was gonna launch his lunch. Not 3 minutes later, it happened. So now there is more crying, and that awful smell. The mama did nothing...

R

Yesterday I was on a 4 1/2 hour flight two rows behind a two year old and a baby. They were so good I didn't realize there were kids there. These parents really had their act together.

Yesterday I was on a 4 1/2 hour flight two rows behind a two year old and a baby. They were so good I didn't realize there were kids there. These parents really had their act together.

Benadryl

Speaking of being a crybaby, I also hate flying in economy when it seems I always have the person in front of me who reclines their seat all the way back. Space is so limited in coach that I never recline my seat out of consideration for the person seated behind me.

Flew from Jo'Burg to NYC last year, about 17-18 hours including a 1 hour layover in Senegal where you can't leave the plane.........family about 4 rows up had 3 kids, (6-8ish); the kids got up and walked around a bit, (who can blame them), but overall they were pretty good and kept themselves amused...we were impressed.

Didn't read the whole thread, but for me one of the big stressors is DW at times. She's a "planner," while I'm a "go with it" type of guy. I take my time, and if I miss something, so be it.

Train vs. Plane

I'm old enough to remember when you were treated like royalty when you flew. Why did that change?

I took the train cross-Canada a couple of years ago and I'm a convert. With no time constraints, the trip was glorious. I was treated like a queen, the food was fantastic, the scenery beyond description. And I could escape if something or someone got annoying. It was a bit costly, but I notice that they often have last-minute deals that make the trip cheaper than flying.

It doesn's help much for over-water trips, but my first post-retirement trip will be Amtrak's North America Rail Pass.

Nui

How can this be? Those points must be costing you something?

-ERD50

All these points cost me is the time in signing up for a credit card and making everyday normal expenditure that I would make anyway.

There have been some mega deals out there lately. British Airways visa 100k miles for sign up and spending $3k in 3 mos. That converts to a round trip in business class to Hong Kong on Cathay. Capital Venture card where they matched your FF miles, for $1k spend DH and I managed to get enough points to redeem for $3800 of Gift Certificates for Hyatt hotels.

There are plenty of opportunities out there to get something for virtually nothing.

All these points cost me is the time in signing up for a credit card and making everyday normal expenditure that I would make anyway.

OK, so they are costing you something. I currently get 2% (in cash, to be spent or saved any way I wish, no strings), on every single dollar of the everyday normal expenditure that I would make anyway. So that would be my basis for comparison.

There have been some mega deals out there lately. British Airways visa 100k miles for sign up and spending $3k in 3 mos. That converts to a round trip in business class to Hong Kong on Cathay. Capital Venture card where they matched your FF miles, for $1k spend DH and I managed to get enough points to redeem for $3800 of Gift Certificates for Hyatt hotels.

There are plenty of opportunities out there to get something for virtually nothing.

If this is working for you, great. But it's hard for me to see how they can give $3.80 in rewards for $1.00 spent. I don't have much/any experience with this as I don't travel much, but when I see cards offered like that, I seem to see annual fees and lots of fine print.

On one hand, it could be tied to 'loyalty' type incentives. But, OTOH, we see businesses give special deals to attract new customers (and ignore the old - a negative loyalty incentive), so I'm not sure that explains it either.

edit/add: I guess this reminds me of the coupon clipper thread from several months back. You get $3,800 'worth' of Gift Certificates - but would you have actually spent the $3,800 otherwise? Maybe so in this case, but I'm skeptical of how this could be over the long haul.

-ERD50

Wow

Have any of you stood below Michalengelos Masterpiece in the Sistene chapel and been totally breathless?
Have you dived the Great barrier reef and seen unimaginable fish?
Have you seen the whales during mating season in Maui, breaching and providing scenes worthy of a National Geographic Special?
Have you climbed the Great Wall of China and thought what history and culture came before you?
Have you seen the wonders of Yellowstone, Yosemite, Mesa Verde, Petrified Forest, the Everglades etc?

I have and every second of delay, inconvenience, discomfort was worth it.

But maybe it is better sit at home and to say "get off of my lawn" then to experience life.

Wow

Have any of you stood below Michalengelos Masterpiece in the Sistene chapel and been totally breathless?
Have you seen the whales during mating season in Maui, breaching and providing scenes worthy of a National Geographic Special?
Have you climbed the Great Wall of China and thought what history and culture came before you?
Have you seen the wonders of Yellowstone, Yosemite, Mesa Verde, Petrified Forest, the Everglades etc?

But maybe it is better sit at home and to say "get off of my lawn" then to experience life.

It doesn't appear that you actually read the OP, or the title of this thread.

-ERD50

Wow

Actually, DW/me have done the items on your list (except China, which is on our "to do" list), but I still hate travel and after many, many years of both business and personal travel have decided to scale back for awhile.

I'm speaking only for myself (DW was in Cairo/Nile cruise last Sept, touring the South for the "early blooms" within the last six weeks, and is heading off for two weeks in Switzerland in September - all with her "travel buddy" - another woman that shares her "passion").

I've personally done the travel (about to renew my passport - I already have gone through two). Today? I rather just stay home with the puppies and tell the kids to stay off the lawn (gives me target practice :LOL: )...

Wow

Yes and I love the being there I just dislike the getting there !

OK, so they are costing you something. I currently get 2% (in cash, to be spent or saved any way I wish, no strings), on every single dollar of the everyday normal expenditure that I would make anyway. So that would be my basis for comparison.

If this is working for you, great. But it's hard for me to see how they can give $3.80 in rewards for $1.00 spent. I don't have much/any experience with this as I don't travel much, but when I see cards offered like that, I seem to see annual fees and lots of fine print.

On one hand, it could be tied to 'loyalty' type incentives. But, OTOH, we see businesses give special deals to attract new customers (and ignore the old - a negative loyalty incentive), so I'm not sure that explains it either.

edit/add: I guess this reminds me of the coupon clipper thread from several months back. You get $3,800 'worth' of Gift Certificates - but would you have actually spent the $3,800 otherwise? Maybe so in this case, but I'm skeptical of how this could be over the long haul.

-ERD50

Ok let's compare the Capital One Venture Card that recently offered the 100k sign up bonus.

My husband and I both signed up for this card and after a spend of approx. $3000 we received Gift Certificates to Hyatt for $3800. The annual fee was waived for the first year.

So for that $3000 you would received $60 cash back from your credit card.

As to whether I would have spent that $3,000 anyway. You bet I would. We put everything on credit card, use very little cash. If I buy something for $3 from the drugstore it goes on a credit card. So we don't need to do random spending to achieve the required spend.

What's in it for the credit card companies? Well they are hoping to attract customers with good credit ratings as long term customers. They hope by getting you to sign up you will like their program enough that you will stay once year 2 hits and you do get charged a fee. Personally we will be cancelling the card in month 11 because they have changed redemption rates for rewards and I can get better value out of other cards I hold.

Take yourself over to Flyertalk and have a look at the Miles Buzz forum. There is a whole different world out there with some folks who are very hard core and make out like bandits on credit card promotions.

You have to know how to use your cards to get what you want. Upgraded travel is our goal and we can usually leverage $40k of spending on the AMEX gold into a round trip in business class to Europe, Asia or South America on an annual basis without much effort.

It comes down to what is important to an individual.

Ok let's compare the Capital One Venture Card that recently offered the 100k sign up bonus.

My husband and I both signed up for this card and after a spend of approx. $3000 we received Gift Certificates to Hyatt for $3800. The annual fee was waived for the first year.

So for that $3000 you would received $60 cash back from your credit card.

Right, I would only get $60. But, I get it for every $3,000 I spend, not just the first - this is what I'm getting at. Over the long haul, are these deals really so hot (maybe so, but it doesn't add up for me)?

As to whether I would have spent that $3,000 anyway. You bet I would. We put everything on credit card, use very little cash...

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was not referring to the $3,000 spent on the card, I was referring to the $3,800 in gift certificates you received. Would you have really purchased all $3,800 of the things those gift certificates offered? That's where I relate it to the coupon thread - people say they 'saved' $X, but it was stuff that I would not have bought, or good alternatives could have been bought for far less. To me, that isn't a true savings.

What's in it for the credit card companies? Well they are hoping to attract customers with good credit ratings as long term customers.

I understand, and that is also why they offer 2% cash-back rewards. I'm just having trouble understanding how one set of rewards they offer could really be worth that much more than another set. Or is it?

You have to know how to use your cards to get what you want. Upgraded travel is our goal and we can usually leverage $40k of spending on the AMEX gold into a round trip in business class to Europe, Asia or South America on an annual basis without much effort.

I don't know what an upgrade like that costs. I'll assume much more than the $800 a 2% card would give, after annual fees, etc. Maybe they offer it at near 'wholesale' or whatever, or the combo with 'loyalty' makes these a great deal for frequent travelers - I don't know. But if all your card spending counts towards products you really would use, that's great. And maybe it averages out for the CC companies with many people who sign up, and then never really take full advantage of the deals.

It comes down to what is important to an individual.

It comes down to whatever really works for an individual. If the true value of the travel rewards you get is above the 2% no-strings cash, then it works for you.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom