I need a budget...

LRAO said:
My biggest expense that I should/could control is eating out too much.  But I am 28 and single and I don't like cooking for myself.
Well, those frozen, microwaveable foods could be cheaper than eating out but you probably need to look at the ingredients to make sure they are not too bad for you.

My friend who's a single mom goes to something called Main Dish Kitchen (http://www.maindishkitchen.com/howitworks.asp) where she "assembles" meals good for a week or two, puts them in the freezer, and cooks them at home.  She likes it 'cause it saves her some shopping, cooking, and clean-up and washing time.

flipstress said:
Well, those frozen, microwaveable foods could be cheaper than eating out but you probably need to look at the ingredients to make sure they are not too bad for you.

My friend who's a single mom goes to something called Main Dish Kitchen (http://www.maindishkitchen.com/howitworks.asp) where she "assembles" meals good for a week or two, puts them in the freezer, and cooks them at home.  She likes it 'cause it saves her some shopping, cooking, and clean-up and washing time.

Swanson's frozen turkey dinner, around a buck on sale. Wash it down with a beer or some cheap wine and you won't know the difference except you will save bushels of cash.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
Swanson's frozen turkey dinner

I remember having these over 40 years ago.  They're probably still slicing from that self same tough old turkey.

WhodaThunkit said:
I remember having these over 40 years ago.  They're probably still slicing from that self same tough old turkey.

Yep, but you can't beat the price :)

JG

A couple of quick, cheap "bachelor" meals:

Heat butter and olive oil in saute pan. Add a few chopped veggies - onion, bell pepper, zucchini, tomato, etc. Saute for a few minutes until tender. Add fish filet, such a talapia, trout, or salmon. Saute/pouch (there'll be some liquid from the veggies). Season with salt, pepper, herbs, garlic, etc. Fish will only take a few minutes to cook.

Another quicky dish: grill or saute some chicken breast. Cut into strips or bite-sized pieces. Add tomatoes and chopped olives; simmer for short period to reduce the liquid slightly, then serve over whole-wheat pasta.

Then there's always chili, spaghetti sauce, "soup" beans and cornbread, etc. Stews and casseroles are good for a few days leftovers, then freeze the rest for later. Bon appetit!!

WhodaThunkit said:

My brother and I considered it a big treat - when my parents went out, and we had a babysitter we would always have those dinners. The stuffing was like paste and the cranberry sauce was more like jello....but we gobbled them down anyway. ;)

Back
Top Bottom