i stare out the window and dream of ER...at age 27!

They want 12 - or (2+2)*3.

Not to hijack this thread, but I thought of that, too. However, they wanted a "sum", which is the result of adding two things together. Had they wanted (2+2)*3 they should have said "what is the product of two plus two times three".

To bring this back on topic, I slightly agree with the notion of thinking about and planning for retirement, but not obsessing over it. I find myself doing the same thing, but it's so far away, I sometimes think I'm missing out on actually "living" by being so focused on the future. It'll come sooner than any of us thinks, so you might as well enjoy the ride in the mean time!

The reason I [-]obsess[/-] plan for retirement, is because I am naturally lazy. I have had to forcefully put myself in a mindset to get out there and do what I need to do. I have no problem slacking off the moment there is some time. Many people are like this, I think, some of them just aren't able to push themselves as hard to avoid being lazy when they really to get something done, or forget along the way what they really enjoyed, and overdo it. It is a very tight line to walk.

I think many people who say they will retire in their 30s, don't actually do it. Life happens, but having a high goal gives a lot more breathing room later when certain things don't work out, don't work out quite as well as expected, or plans change. This applies to a lot of things in life. Also, jumping too early isn't retiring, it is letting laziness take over right before reaching the next stage (or not looking ahead before leaping).

The reason I [-]obsess[/-] plan for retirement, is because I am naturally lazy. I have had to forcefully put myself in a mindset to get out there and do what I need to do. I have no problem slacking off the moment there is some time. Many people are like this, I think, some of them just aren't able to push themselves as hard to avoid being lazy when they really to get something done, or forget along the way what they really enjoyed, and overdo it. It is a very tight line to walk.

I think many people who say they will retire in their 30s, don't actually do it. Life happens, but having a high goal gives a lot more breathing room later when certain things don't work out, don't work out quite as well as expected, or plans change. This applies to a lot of things in life. Also, jumping too early isn't retiring, it is letting laziness take over right before reaching the next stage (or not looking ahead before leaping).

Amen, in my not so humble opinion, of course. Other people may have differing and just as valid positions.

Important to be said....

I may be putting myself at risk......

I do want to share that in circumstances where female caregivers, such as elementary school teachers or females on playgrounds surrounded by lots of children, get together..... the kinds of conversations tend to be oriented toward issues that have to do with children at all levels from pre-natal to whatever age is represented. These discussions often involve backgrounds that a male care-giver, ie stay-at-home dad, will have absolutely zero experience, and some of which that he could never have had experience.

I suspect after some recent conversation with some people on ER.org, that this kind of conversation may be well be limited to the above circumstances, and only when the people are very active caregivers with children, that is, kids under the age of 11.

So my point remains that a male care giver, i.e. stay at home dad, may be find himself more socially isolated that he might expect, not knowing the passage of conversations in this setting.

I am also now appraised properly that in other settings in same sex gatherings(ie all females or all males) where they are not in fact surrounded by children under the age of 11, certain conversations about prenatal child growth to age 11, and whatever else might be related to that discussion, SIMPLY DOES NOT HAPPEN. I wish to apologize to anyone who may have misconstrued my previous more specific statement as offensive. In my limited defense, my only experience of groups of females in not work related discussions, consists of lunchrooms in elementary schools, which are largely inhabited by female teachers k-5, female aides, and female parents. There are effectively NEVER men in those places. And when I show up, they are so familiar with me, that I am fortunately or unfortunately not perceived as......male. Every once in a while they will look at me at say, "Oh, this is TMI for you isn't it?"

Z

checking in

It's been about 2 years, and I am...2 yrs older. I think the check in's and updates are kind of fun, so I thought I might do the same.

I've since switched j*bs, relocated to a much better place and had a new daughter. DW and I continue to save for what will be a hopeful early retirement. Our NW is over $450k with $315k being investable assets, the rest is in our primary home. So, we have grown leaps and bounds in a couple of years. The most important thing, we are happy and loving life! :dance:

Thanks so much to everyone who has taught me and put up with me being naive!

If your plan is to relocate to the American Redoubt from Houston, my advice is to bring money and lots of it. This will likely mean keep working and saving for at least another decade or two.

Jobs are low paying, far below what you can make in Houston.

Acreage, home, motor vehicles, water well, clothes, fuel, preps - very easy to spend $1MM on just the acreage.

The good news is you don't have to do it all at once. Buy the acreage now, gradually position yourself into Montana and when your retreat property / cash reserve is built - make your move.

Another check in, roughly 2 years later....again.

This year was the year where I unfortunately learned what everyone means when they say prepare for the worst and you never know what will happen. My father suffered a traumatic brain injury while we were out on a quick road ride this past May. It has been tough to watch. But, DW didn't complain when we sent in the check for my guardian disability insurance this year.

My income and compensation have continued to grow through the past 2 years. My cash compensation is $225-250k and if you throw in the stocks it is well over $300k. I've always counted myself lucky and been forever grateful for my situation. And I've always understood it may not last forever. Even though oil prices are higher than when I initially shoved off in my career, the next year will make me nervous each and every day. I'm sure I will have a job for at least another year, but after that I'm nervous about it. I'm nervous about even tomorrow. But, I'll take each day as it comes and watch my hairline recede.

Net worth has grown to around $800k ($500k investable assets) and probably approaching a million if you count my unvested options and stocks, even with the stock price in the toilet right now. If I get laid off, everything vests, so not really something to count today, but worth keeping an eye on, if it turns out to be worth anything at all.

I apologize the over all tone of this "check in" is somber, but I'll share the happiest of all. Here's to 31, and an ever improving 32 (hopefully).

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1418481165.986693.jpg

First congrats on being where you are financially at your age! You are ahead of most of your peers and a good portion of the country. If you stay the course you will have the freedom to make some choices!
I started thinking and saving toward retirement in my late twenties too. I found that, by not being much of a consumer of things ( other than food), I was able to save enough that I should be able to leave my job and maintain my lifestyle after only 28 years of working. I feel blessed that I have had the luxury to so while working much less than full time along the way. This allowed me plenty of tome to also enjoy the journey. I feel lucky also to still have a DB pension at age 56 even if it's not huge. I'm sure I'm leaving with less than some would feel comfortable with but it is all about priorities. I need stuff much less than I need my time and the freedom to explore the world! And many things in life are better appreciated from close up rather than from some lofty height.

Last edited:
Checking in....

Most importantly, 31 of 100 countries visited, a life long goal. 3 more to be added in 2018! And first trip with the girls.

We've added another chic to the coop. It's me and 4 girls (if you count DW). Toilet paper bill is through the roof.

Trying to strike that balance between enjoying life and saving enough. I cleared $350k in cash in 2017, so that has helped. Certainly, I have not saved as much as I would like, but DW wants house projects done.

But, networth at 35 (almost) is ~$1.5MM. Maybe a bit more. Almost $1MM in investable assets, $500k to $600k in equity in the house.

Life is good, and trying to keep everyone happy. Here's to coming closer to our ER goals in the years to come!

Now age 41. I have a lot less hair, the lbs tend to hang around the belly more.

I got laid off from my engineering gig during covid in 2020. With no debt, we went against the conventional wisdom and paid off our mortgage right after I got laid off. It was a great decision for DW and I.

With no debt abd being on unemployment for a couple of months, I hung up my calculator, khaki pants and polo shirts. I became a police officer, which became a profession I absolutely love. I'm in the process of switching to a much larger department, which will give many more opportunities in the next 10 years when I enter my 50's.

DW loved the engineering salary, but is supportive because she can see how happy I am. DW is still stay at home, raising our 3 daughters (8, 10, 12).

We close on our house in a week (through all deadlines), we'll net over $1.8MM. We'll rebuy hopefully at no more than $1.3MM. I would like more like $1MM.

Retirement assets are not as strong as they should be. $1.3MM. I only contribute the minimum to it, which is almost 30% of my salary with the department match as i am out of social security. Maybe I could do more, but I am working on setting my girls up for college and maybe some "starter" money. Of course, the best gift parents can give their children is not being a financial burden to them.

So just over $3MM total net worth. Most importantly, life is good, kids are healthy and wife is happy. I'll never have as much money as I thought I would when I was 27. But I am extremely satisfied with work and family.

Now age 41. I have a lot less hair, the lbs tend to hang around the belly more.

I got laid off from my engineering gig during covid in 2020. With no debt, we went against the conventional wisdom and paid off our mortgage right after I got laid off. It was a great decision for DW and I.

With no debt abd being on unemployment for a couple of months, I hung up my calculator, khaki pants and polo shirts. I became a police officer, which became a profession I absolutely love. I'm in the process of switching to a much larger department, which will give many more opportunities in the next 10 years when I enter my 50's.

DW loved the engineering salary, but is supportive because she can see how happy I am. DW is still stay at home, raising our 3 daughters (8, 10, 12).

We close on our house in a week (through all deadlines), we'll net over $1.8MM. We'll rebuy hopefully at no more than $1.3MM. I would like more like $1MM.

Retirement assets are not as strong as they should be. $1.3MM. I only contribute the minimum to it, which is almost 30% of my salary with the department match as i am out of social security. Maybe I could do more, but I am working on setting my girls up for college and maybe some "starter" money. Of course, the best gift parents can give their children is not being a financial burden to them.

So just over $3MM total net worth. Most importantly, life is good, kids are healthy and wife is happy. I'll never have as much money as I thought I would when I was 27. But I am extremely satisfied with work and family.
Thanks for checking in. I'm glad that you have found what you love, that everyone is well and that you are making steady progress.

This was a great thread to read, thank you for the follow up and bumping it up. It's great to see where young dreamers are today. 3mil is fantastic! About double mine and we are about the same age. And a total career change, congrats! Even if the catalyst was less than ideal, change is invigorating.

Nice follow-up and I wish You and your Family the going forward. Great Job!

Well done so far...you're well on your way, and living responsibly! Don't forget to have some fund along the way, avoid lifestyle creep, and save and invest as much as you can. I'd move the emergency savings to a money market account such as Vanguard's VMFXX to earn additional interest. 20 years now seems like a long time, but when you're 47, you'll ask yourself where the time went!! BTW, for me, ER between 45 and 50 would have been perfect. I waited to 55 to enhance the standard of living in ER, and have adjusted quite nicely to spending 3X what I did in my last years prior to ER!

With no debt abd being on unemployment for a couple of months, I hung up my calculator, khaki pants and polo shirts. I became a police officer, which became a profession I absolutely love.
Thanks for resurrecting the thread, which I otherwise would never have seen. When I read your original post, my first thought was that it seemed sad that at such a young age you already daydreamed of retiring. When I was a young engineer, I loved it, though I too eventually tired and switched careers. (All I really wanted was an office with a window.) Anyway, I believe it's important to enjoy whatever one spends their productive life doing. Spending one's entire life thinking about retiring doesn't seem right to me. Then again, I know there are some who squirreled away money for a few years doing something extremely remunerative but which they absolutely hated and retired young.

You've saved an amazing amount as an engineer. I never earned that much as an engineer, which is one motivation for switching careers.

I don't think I've ever seen a thread where the OP kept coming back for so many years.
Sounds like you will be fine. (y)

Great thread, thanks for the updates.
Congratulations on finding a job that you love!
You probably will have access to a pension from your police job at some point in the future.

Back
Top Bottom