I Want to Print In Color But There Are Too Many Choices

I got a HP color laser printer at costco for about $350 and it's worked great, but the toner cartridges were starters and only did a limited number of pages. I swore off inkjets after clogging issues.
Replacement color laser cartridges are around $80-100 per color, so a full set of toner cartridges is going to cost more than the printer.
Luckily this is all a business expense for me and my small business, otherwise I wouldn't ever print at home again.

1) major upgrade - get a new color MFC laser printer.

That's what we did. I also have a Canon Pro-100 that is used exclusively for photo printing. The color laser printer is a Dell E525w MFC that we bought about eight or so years ago and we had been very happy with it. When DW's father was in the nursing home we used the scanner and even the fax parts frequently. I say "had" because just this morning it started making loud grinding noises like plastic gears stripping, although it still works.

I'm gonna go out on a long limb here and say I think we're going to need a new printer soon.:LOL: DW prints a LOT of stuff so no question we'll need a new laser printer.

Sorry, I was trying to be funny.

So 175 pages.

No probs. Duplex is a word I don't use in everyday conversation so really thought I typed something wrong.

I can't imagine printing out 350 pages of anything. Can't you just order a manual someplace?

As for printers I have a $100 Brother B&W laser that is my work horse. I also have an old Canon scanner printer that I frequently use to scan stuff and very rarely use to print something I want to see in color. On the rare occasion that I want a good color print I use commercial services for singles and/or photo books. A color printer good enough for fine work just isn't worth the bother since I would use it so rarely.

Whatever you decide, I recommend that you have a shop such as Kinkos or Office Max punch and spiral bind the document for a few bucks. DW does that for her manuals. They cut off the binding and then add the spiral binding.

I still use a Canon inkjet MFP that I use daily. 3rd party ink cartridges are cheap!

Back to the OP:

I understand a print out can be better than pdf in some ways, but maybe work with the pdf for a while, and then you might decide there are really only a few dozen pages you would want printed out. I did that with the manual for my car, a few things were better to have in hand on paper as I worked through the process. I just printed those few pages and put them in the car.

... The color laser printer is a Dell E525w MFC that we bought about eight or so years ago and we had been very happy with it. ... I say "had" because just this morning it started making loud grinding noises like plastic gears stripping, although it still works.

I'm gonna go out on a long limb here and say I think we're going to need a new printer soon.:LOL: DW prints a LOT of stuff so no question we'll need a new laser printer.

Maybe not. We have several of the low-cost Brother mono-laser printers, and a while back, DD's started making that grinding plastic gear sound. It was on of the cheap replacement toner carts I bought, just replaced that toner cart and all was well. BTW, that was one bad cart out of about 8, maybe more, so we have still saved a bundle over OEM. I'll write off one failure, I'm sure there are a few bad OEM carts out there too.

I spent a lot (way too much) time yesterday reading reviews and watching Youtube videos on various printers.

Came really close to buying an Epson Tank type inkjet printer. There's one video where a guy printed out a couple of documents using one of these printers and dunked the prints is a bucket of water than tested to see if the ink ran. Impressively, it did not much at all. That video was worth the watch :popcorn: and almost got me sold on a tank type. But the Amazon reviews scared me off and many folks complained about paper jams. I'm not that much a glutton for punishment.

After more reading and searching on different models, I'm leaning towards option #3. Namely, getting a stand alone color laser printer as a supplement to my trusty multi-function b+w laser for those times when I just need to see the world in color :cool:.

After more reading and searching on different models, I'm leaning towards option #3. Namely, getting a stand alone color laser printer as a supplement to my trusty multi-function b+w laser for those times when I just need to see the world in color :cool:.

Definitely consider a used/refurb from EBay.

Two years ago we got a really nice Dell C1760nw for $99 - some seller had a truckload of factory refurbs. It was good as new and does an incredible job.

Last edited:
Definitely consider a used/refurb from EBay.

Two years ago we got a really nice Dell C1760nw for $99 - some seller had a truckload of factory refurbs. It was good as new and does an incredible job.

Sounds like you got a steal. I remember years ago I bought a Lexmark B+W Laser from Goodwill for about $25. Still worked great after installing the proper drivers. Ended up giving to family member.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Got a new Cannon from Amazon. Should arrive on Thursday.

Total plus tax came out to a just a bit over $200. Very reasonable.

While printer hunting over the past couple of days got me thinking of the printers I've owned over the years. From my memory the printers go as follows (earliest time first, some I forget brand or model name):

1. Radio Shack - Dot matrix
2. Apple Image Writer II - dot matrix
3. (forgot brand name) Near Letter Quality Dot Matrix for Mac
4. Epson Inkjet (forget if I donated away or if printer died)
5. HP Deskwriter - (paper jammed and clogged too much)
6. HP Multi-function Inkjet (printed out beautifully, but paper jammed and clogged)
7. Another HP Multi-function Inkjet (jammed and clogged also)
8. Samsung Laser Printer (old, basic laser printer, looked like an Apple Stylewriter, worked great, but I donated to Goodwill after I got printer #9)
9. Samsung SCX-4521F - (Monochrome Mult-function printer, scanner, copier, fax. The workhorse. I almost got rid of due to frequent paper jams but found out how to repair with a rubber rejuvenating spray :cool: )
10. Cannon Color imageClass LBP622Cdw - Wireless, mobile ready, duplex laser (ordered this today)

Fun going down printer memory lane :).

Maybe not. We have several of the low-cost Brother mono-laser printers, and a while back, DD's started making that grinding plastic gear sound. It was on of the cheap replacement toner carts I bought, just replaced that toner cart and all was well.

Thanks for the heads-up on that possibility. I've already ordered a replacement printer but I'll just set that one aside and try the new toner cartridges first.

Wasn't the beauty of the old Cannon copiers (when Jack Klugman was plugging them on commercials) was that the smarts was in the cartridges.

I remember back in the day, owning one of those copiers and feeling that I was living like a king having a personal copier at home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom