Icahn's IEP and Class Action

bearkeley

Recycles dryer sheets
We have been solicited by a law firm to join a class action against Icahn. It looks like there are a bunch of firms doing this. It's not a big portion of our investments but surprised they reached out to us so thought we'd check with this group. Any insight? Should we join or is this similar to ambulance chasers ? How do we know who to join with? (Sorry if already discussed...couldn't find anything in the search function).

It is similar to ambulance chasing. If you do not join, you will get nothing ... unless you sue Icahn on your own. If you do join, the amount you'll receive will likely be very low. You should go through the pamphlet they mailed to you and find the paragraph which indicates the expected payout per share. From that, you should have a good feel very quickly if it will be worth your time to provide the necessary info. Understand, whether you participate or not, the lawyers will be collecting their fat fees - which is why they are doing this. Also keep in mind, the amount each investor ultimately receives will be a function of how many participate in the class action. If very few decided to participate, the funds recovered will still be split among those who participated, and each would recover more.

In general, I do avoid these. However, there was one, maybe 10 years ago, with a very small company I had invested in. CEO basically lied giving out false information regarding the state of the business. I did have a good size investment in the company. About 2 years after I gave my info to the law firm handling it, I received 3 checks in the mail (one for each account I owned shares in), totaling almost $15,000 - essentially making me whole. So, there are situations where it can work out very well, but generally it won't be where you have lots of investors participating.

I’ve participated in a few of these financial class actions. My conclusion is to join unless the amount is tiny or the ‘proof of claim’ documents (statements, etc) are burdensome to produce. I agree with howie….the primary objective of most class actions is to generate fees for the lawyers. A secondary objective can be to discourage bad behavior by large entities. Which is a good thing. Way down the list generally is compensation for investors.

Back
Top Bottom