IL tax site now requires login

Sunset

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicag
If you don't do IL State tax returns, you can stop reading this thread.

IL has set themselves up for a big outcry.

In previous years, anyone could do their tax return by passing some ID question tests, and then do their return online for free.

I do 3 other older relatives returns and would do them for them as it's free and not too hard (but not as easy as it could be).

This year, I go to do it, and IL requires a login be set up for each person and they ensure the person does it, by mailing a letter to the person upon request with a code to set up the login. It will take up to 10 business days to get the letter :facepalm:

This is news to me, and I've not seen anything on the news.

I've had my older relatives mail in their State returns for this year.
I imagine in a week many folks in IL will be surprised by this change and will have to mail in their return as it's getting too late.

We will probably e-file ours and pay the $20 to H&R Block to save time.

This year, I go to do it, and IL requires a login be set up for each person and they ensure the person does it, by mailing a letter to the person upon request with a code to set up the login. It will take up to 10 business days to get the letter :facepalm:

This is not an unusual procedure for verification and as annoying as it may seem, it is good for security purposes. USPS.com did the same when we set up an account a year or two ago. Previously, anyone could quickly go on the website, and schedule a mail hold for any address. At some point they began requiring this same type of verification where they'd send a code by snail mail.

There are lots of stories about fraudulent tax returns being filed, and this is likely in response to that. I would expect over time, we are going to experience more hoops to jump through as even more things move online, and security becomes a bigger issue. For taxes and things that have to do with money and finances, I think it's almost guaranteed.

I just pay online and mail the return. In the few cases I get a refund, it is so small, getting it 6 months after the fact has little impact on my life.

In MD, we have free ifile on a state website. It is clunky but it works. Each return requires a login but you can create a login for someone else easily. To me the problem with the changes to the new procedure described by OP is with the snail mail verification. There are other ways to do this or they could let you file a provisional return pending verification. Lack of communication that the process has changed amplifies the problem. In MD refunds are completed in three days usually.

I do agree IL is doing a procedure to cut down on fraud, so that is good.

But without telling folks via emails, news broadcasts, radio broadcasts , etc, they are going to cause a lot of paperwork issues, as in paper tax returns being mailed at the last minute.
Defeating the idea of a Free tax website.

Maybe that is the underlying reason, instead of stupidity/incompetence, maybe the officials in charge got paid by one of the big tax return companies.
I know I'll pay the big tax return company the ~$20 to e-file as mail is being stolen around here a lot.

Well Big Brother is reading this thread:

IL just sent out emails to folks who have filed previously to tell them to create the account. The bolding is in the email.

"IDOR News & Updates - March 31, 2022
Filing Your Taxes with MyTax Illinois?
Don't Delay, Create Your Logon Today!

A logon is required for MyTax Illinois if you plan to use that system to file your Form IL-1040. This is different from years past.

To create a MyTax Illinois logon, the first step is to obtain a Letter ID by following the process outlined below. This process can take up to 10 days to fully complete, so don't delay. "

I do agree IL is doing a procedure to cut down on fraud, so that is good.

But without telling folks via emails, news broadcasts, radio broadcasts , etc, they are going to cause a lot of paperwork issues, as in paper tax returns being mailed at the last minute.
Defeating the idea of a Free tax website.

Maybe that is the underlying reason, instead of stupidity/incompetence, maybe the officials in charge got paid by one of the big tax return companies.
I know I'll pay the big tax return company the ~$20 to e-file as mail is being stolen around here a lot.

FYI, this isn't just for filing through the IL web site.

I used TaxAct for Fed and IL. The Fed return got accepted in a few hours, the IL by the next day (or overnight?). This was ~ a week ago. Yesterday I got a snail-mail from IL saying I had to go to that web site and verify my ID before they could further process my return and refund. OK, fraud prevention is important, but this did seem like a weird way to go about it.

I was a bit stressed out, I "failed" the verification for US Mail a few years ago. I had co-signed for DD's credit card for College years ago, and some of the questions pertained to her, and I wasn't sure if I should answer them or not (do they think her info is 'my' info?). Failed twice, had DW sign up and she passed.

But it was OK, no 'trick' questions for me.

-ERD50

I was a bit stressed out, I "failed" the verification for US Mail a few years ago. I had co-signed for DD's credit card for College years ago, and some of the questions pertained to her, and I wasn't sure if I should answer them or not (do they think her info is 'my' info?). Failed twice, had DW sign up and she passed.

But it was OK, no 'trick' questions for me.

-ERD50

I have also been stressed out by those questions in the past when they thought I lived with my mother for some reason.

When the computer would ask the question, I was never sure how to answer.

Recently, however, I had the opportunity to do one of these with a "real person" on the other end of the call.

I got the impression that I was able to give answers with more elaboration and I passed.

I suspect that the person on the end of the line was not just typing the answers into a computer, but may have had access to the answers and could see if my responses were consistent or not.

This was just one experience, so I may be seeing a pattern that is not there, but perhaps others could comment on if they have better luck with the so called "knowledge based verification " questions when dealing with a real person vs a computer.

-gauss

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom