Ill Cigarette tax $3.98/pack

My first cigarette was in 1959, after college graduation and marriage. Never smoked before, because of swim team training.... then regular two packs a day until cancer in 1989. A four hour operation, and a very difficult three month recovery period was a tough lesson. Had to leave my new, small, emerging business, which in turn caused me to retire at age 53, with less than I had hoped.

The good part was that it caused me/us to appreciate life, and not take anything for granted.

"We grow too soon old, and too late smart."

Last edited:
I had two experiences with smoking sections on airplanes. The first was when I was 16 and flying back alone to NY from Miami. The flight had been unexpectedly canceled when I checked in at the airport and the airline had an alternate in place for me. They were holding a flight going to Orlando where I could change planes to a flight to NY. I could sit in non-smoking main cabin if I didn't want a window seat, or sit in the smoking section if I wanted a window. For such a short flight, and I liked looking out the window, I chose the smoking section. It was a little smoky but the passenger I was sitting next to was teenaged girl (who didn't smoke) and we played chess on the flight. The flight, I soon learned, had originated in Puerto Rico which is why most of the passengers looked Hispanic.

The second time, one I have written about before, was in 1988 when I was flying from LA to NY. I was sitting in a 2-seat area off one of two aisles of a wide-body plane. The empty seat was empty throughout the boarding process until at the last minute a bunch of passengers boarded (from a late-arriving connecting flight).

My seat was filled by a man who told me he was separated from his business partner sitting elsewhere on the plane. He left his seat until just before the plane left the gate when he returned and offered me $20 to change seats with his partner, telling me, "This will be the easiest $20 you ever make." I asked him if it was a non-smoking seat and he said it was. I gathered my carry-on items and switched seats.

I was sitting in an aisle seat of a 2-seat area on the other side of the plane, one seat ahead of the smoking section, putting me in the secondhand smoking section. Furthermore, the man wedged into the window seat was an obese man, his body overflowing the middle armrest and forcing me to shift to the left in my seat to be comfortable, with my left leg in the aisle most of the time, dodging people and serving carts.

The meal was soon served and it was pretty good. I ate what I could fairly quickly, or so I thought. As I was nearly done, I saw that the man had already eaten everything but the napkins and plastic wrapping and the plates and silverware.

He never got up from his seat the entire flight. Later on in the flight, I went back to my old seat to see my two reunited men. I said to the man who gave me $20, "This is NOT the easiest $20 I ever made!" We shared a laugh, as they both knew who I was sitting next to for the 5-hour flight.

I was a in college, en route home back to school on my one smoking flight I ever took. This was back in the days when my Mom booked my flights (she was paying) and I always complained that she put me in non-smoking, but this one time...

Well the flight was late to take off, not terribly, but at least 30 mins. I swear everyone in that section had a cigarette in their mouth with a lighter at the ready and there was a cheer the second the non smoking light went off once we cleared the required altitude.
No swearing required. Even on not late flights, you'd hear the lighters click the second the light went off. I hated that.

I didn't fly back from college but took a bus. Same rules, but smaller space and even worse.

And as for work. For a while our megacorp had two sides in conference rooms. The smoking side, and the non-smoking side. They even put in extra return air vents above the smoking side.

Over a period of 8 years or so, they phased it out like this...
- smoking everywhere
- conference room split out
- no smoking in conference rooms, offices depended on the occupants and you were not to smoke in a non-smokers office (so they rearranged people). Break areas still allowed it.
- Smoking only in designated break areas. Not in offices or conference rooms.
- No smoking in the building (yeah), had to be outside or a balcony.
- No smoking on balconies, got to get 10 ft. away from ground floor doors.
- Smokers confined to an area 100s of ft. from any door.

Some businesses, especially hospitals, now disallow it on property anywhere. You'll see hospital workers lined up on the sidewalk next to the street on the first public right-of-way.

A megacorp where I formerly worked now bans smoking even in its vast parking lots. This means smokers have to walk all the way to the street curbs. I wonder how many hardy smokers still hang on.

Smoking is still prevalent in Europe. Out in crowded public spaces, we often get secondhand smoke.

Will there be a time when MJ smoking is legal in public spaces? :)

It's been such a shame that all the restaurants and bars have had to shut down from lack of business since the smoking bans. Nobody in the world wants to go there if they can't smoke. :rolleyes:

Or so the predictions were, by some on the radio.

My first cigarette was in 1959, after college graduation and marriage. Never smoked before, because of swim team training.... then regular two packs a day until cancer in 1989. A four hour operation, and a very difficult three month recovery period was a tough lesson. Had to leave my new, small, emerging business, which in turn caused me to retire at age 53, with less than I had hoped.

The good part was that it caused me/us to appreciate life, and not take anything for granted.

"We grow too soon old, and too late smart."
That's very hard lesson learned.

A megacorp where I formerly worked now bans smoking even in its vast parking lots. This means smokers have to walk all the way to the street curbs. I wonder how many hardy smokers still hang on.

Smoking is still prevalent in Europe. Out in crowded public spaces, we often get secondhand smoke.

Will there be a time when MJ smoking is legal in public spaces? :)

I still see people smoking in their cars even under extremely cold weather.

I cannot fathom why some people still smoke. Especially poorer people, laborers and the like. Why do they still even start, when it's so expensive?

And I bet there are more smokers than we even see, because of vaping. I've read that vaping is cheaper than cigarettes, but I'll bet it's still not cheap.

I cannot fathom why some people still smoke. Especially poorer people, laborers and the like. Why do they still even start, when it's so expensive?

I was in Eastern Europe earlier this year and what amazed us was the number of people who still smoked. While it may be a minority, it is a much larger minority compared to where I live (maybe 30% compared to 5% near my home).

I see groups of young and fit men and women smoking and all I can think about is people I know and have known who suffer from lung and cardiovascular issues in their 50's and on up.

On several occasions we chose to eat inside rather than alfresco because the smokers were limited to outdoor seating and it was impossible to get away from the foul odor of cigarettes. Our favorite restaurant in Budapest not only had good food but also an outdoor non-smoking area. We returned several times.

Last edited:
Smoking on airplanes...blah! My Dad (who used to fly for Eastern back in the mid to late 50's) told me stories of how the tar used to gum up all sorts of things on the airplanes. Here is a picture of a pressurization outflow valve (the exit port for cabin air) with the tar stain. Absolutely nasty!

Both my Mom and Dad smoked like chimneys until 1989 and quit when the price got to be $10 a carton. 30+ years of smoking and they both quit cold turkey. I spent a lot of time in the back seat of the car gagging on cigarette smoke (and then a couple of years stuck in the back of a AF aircraft maintenance truck with no less than 12 smokers) so I have never had the inclination to smoke.

Attachments

• outflow-nicotine-e1431785865548.jpg
    outflow-nicotine-e1431785865548.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 106
You REALLY have to need that nicotine fix to still be smoking at that price. Several co-workers head out for their hourly smoke breaks every day, so this begs the question...how much are they spending on a habit that will kill them ?

At even only 1 pack a day, at only $10 a pack, that is still a new car payment every month, which blows my mind. Think of that same money in compounding interest, and stock market gains over 40 years...talk about a healthy retirement fund.

The "good stuff" is $300-350/ounce. But it's truly 1 hit sh*t, over 20% THC and not that rag weed we smoked when we were young.

Yeah, the days of the ditch-weed of our youth are gone forever, methinks. Cannabis products are too well understood now in terms of their AIs (both THC & CBDs). No one wants to buy or partake of an unknown quality product - legally or illegally. Home grown stuff is mostly enthusiasts that know where the plants came from, know what they will get and know how to refine it properly into consumable forms.

I asked some younger partakers (regular - heavy use) when the last time they got some dried leaf of questionable quality. It had been many years ago for the oldest and the youngest didn't even really get what I was asking.

All the young "nicotine fiends" I know get their fix almost exclusively via a Juul. I only see olduns still huffin' a dud.....

Yeah, the days of the ditch-weed of our youth are gone forever, methinks. Cannabis products are too well understood now in terms of their AIs (both THC & CBDs). No one wants to buy or partake of an unknown quality product - legally or illegally. Home grown stuff is mostly enthusiasts that know where the plants came from, know what they will get and know how to refine it properly into consumable forms.

I asked some younger partakers (regular - heavy use) when the last time they got some dried leaf of questionable quality. It had been many years ago for the oldest and the youngest didn't even really get what I was asking.

I get a hit or two from friends occasionally, and really, the stuff today is too strong for my taste. I never cared for edibles much, but they do let you control intake.

If more people were smoking tobacco, our obesity rate would plummet. Who wants to eat when everything tastes like ashes? (does not apply to MJ)

Indeed - my Mother said the reason she started smoking in her teens, was that she was afraid of getting fat. As she put it, "When you're not quite 5 feet 2, a couple of pounds either way makes a difference."

Ironically, once she got into her 70's, she could not keep any weight on due to developing emphysema. I think she weighed less than 80 pounds when she died. My poor good Mom.

If more people were smoking tobacco, our obesity rate would plummet. Who wants to eat when everything tastes like ashes? (does not apply to MJ)

This reminded me of a story my Dad told about some old, crusty aviation mechanic he knew at Eastern Airlines. Anyway, a flight engineer did his after flight walk around and found some liquid staining of some sort on the exterior of the plane. He brought this to the attention of said mechanic and said he thought it might be a hydraulic leak. The mechanic swiped his finger across the stain, licked it, and said, "Nope, the lavatory needs to be emptied." :D

OK...back to the regularly scheduled program.

Wow, 11.98 for a pack, $120 a carton? I'm very glad to have dumped those 19 years ago. I don't see many smokers anymore. At least cigarettes. Illinois recently became the 11th recreational cannibis state. I guess trying to help tax their way out of financial issues.

Sometime back in the 1970s there was a bumper sticker that said "Gas, grass, or cigarettes, nobody rides for free" or something like that. [emoji13] I guess it's karma.

Somewhere a bunch of old hippies are laughing.

It wasn't cigarettes, but more of a rhyme. ;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom