Illegal winery busted at Alabama town’s sewage plant

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
I thought about posting this in the joke thread, but it is apparently no joke - although really humorous.

RAINSVILLE, Ala. (AP) — Sheriff’s officials say they’ve busted an illegal winery that was operating at a municipal sewage plant in a small north Alabama town.

The DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement it received an anonymous tip about an alcohol operation at a municipal building in the town of Rainsville on Thursday. Investigators then uncovered what’s described as a large illegal winery inside the Rainsville Waste Water Treatment Plant.

I can only imagine what tasting notes would be used to describe this wine. :D

I thought about posting this in the joke thread, but it is apparently no joke - although really humorous.

Hey, it all tastes like that to me! I just don't like the taste of most alcoholic drinks, which is one of the several reasons why I don't drink them.

Well but eggnog? I do like eggnog. Haven't had any in 20 years but at this time of year it's tempting. :blush: Might go for the non-alcoholic eggnog.

You can make alcoholic beverages in secret pretty easily. It's the selling that's the problem. The authorities like to collect the sin tax, and very much don't like it when you skirt their taxation. That's probably a good part of why I brew my own beer :LOL:

I had to laugh at "large operation"...I'd say a dozen carboys is about average for members of our homebrew club. The guy was an idiot for doing it at work, but maybe he liked that he could set the fermentation temperature anywhere he wanted and not pay the utility bill.

Last edited:
The secret sauce :(:facepalm:.

What is it with Alabama and sewers? Something stinks!

A few years back a county went bankrupt because of mismanagement of sewer municipal bonds.

Jefferson County Alabama Bankruptcy

Interesting place to be making wine.

He faces a felony charge of use of official position for personal gain....

The above charge is funny as probably 75% of elected politicians can be charged with something like this.:LOL:

Bamaman did say he was hauling lots of things around lately in another thread....

Well I'll be, someone down South making illegal alcohol. That's a real first. And think about all the wasted shipping volume & weight when wine is only 12% EtOH whereas moonshine is 50%+. Not very green of them. Shame!

Last edited:
Agreed. Alabama's 15-gallon limit is the funniest/saddest part of this story!

Um, that is a per day limit, right? I think that's what it is here in WV....:LOL:

That’s the possession limit - how much you can have on hand at any one time.

In TX you are allowed to make up to 200 gallons of wine or beer per household per calendar year. Well, they use the term “head of family”.

Last edited:
Soon there could be an "Alabama man" similar to Florida.

I'm trying to imagine how this worked with regard to other employees?

"Whatcha got there?"

"Sewage testing station."

"Oh, OK."

:confused:

Perhaps someone had enough of Maury being occupied with his "testing" and not doing his job, so they called in the tip?

I mean, this is a nice piece of work here. I know people who would be happy to contract out his workstation building -- if he needed a side job.

Earthy, with hints of swill and mold and a lingering brackishness. The color is dark and distinctive, and brings to mind the look of post-hurricane muck. Best consumed young before bacterial growth alters the flavor profile.
Soon there could be an "Alabama man" similar to Florida.
Sorry, I disagree. There seems to be no limit to the number of stupid people but Florida Man is a category unto itself, and unique - the intersection of idiotic with initiative. Alabama will need to find a different way to distinguish itself.

I am sure I must be the closest geographically to Rainsville of any posters here (18 miles).

I wonder if wine is the easiest to make of all the homemade alcoholic beverages? I know stills are complicated and need to be tended. This choice had to be about ease and cost, not local demand unmet or a hobby gone wild.

Last edited:
Stills are not legal for personal use.

Is wine easier than beer? I have no idea.

I wonder if wine is the easiest to make of all the homemade alcoholic beverages?

Is wine easier than beer? I have no idea.

Yeah, it is. Just comparing beer and wine, the problem with beer is that it is too prone to microbial spoilage. Wine has much lower pH and higher alcohol, which makes it harder to spoil, so harder to screw up. Beer makers need to be fussy with their sanitation.

Yeah, it is. Just comparing beer and wine, the problem with beer is that it is too prone to microbial spoilage. Wine has much lower pH and higher alcohol, which makes it harder to spoil, so harder to screw up. Beer makers need to be fussy with their sanitation.

Think beer is ready faster no? I made beer once - that was fun. I never tried to make wine. We have neighbors that make quite a lot of it. They don’t even have room to store all their cases!

Back
Top Bottom