Illinois Gas Tax

I think people in Illinois are probably paid more then people in most of the US so it should not be a problem to most . Kind of a sidebar , in Texas all new super highways will be toll roads because Texans will not approve of any more gas taxes.
New York and New Jersey do have some kind of tax if you move out of state . It is tied to the state income tax somehow.

Upon actually glancing through the article, it sounds like Illinois was over-due for a raise in the gasoline tax. It's been 19 cents/gal since 1990. Inflation has roughly doubled since 1990, so 38 cents/gal is about right. Seriously, if they would just phase these things in over time, rather than wait for years, and then spike it, people would hardly notice.

I just filled up my daily driver, a 2003 Regal, today. Took about 14 gallons, and that will take me about 300 miles, given previous experience. A 19 cent/gal jack-up would've added $2.66 to my fuel bill. Or, about $8.87 per 1000 miles. I've been averaging about 300 miles per week since I moved, so that would come out to roughly $138.32 per year. I wouldn't be happy about it and would gripe, most likely. But in the end it's not going to kill me.

FWIW, it looks like Maryland started raising their gasoline tax a bit every year, or 6 months in some cases, to sort of keep pace with inflation. It had a base rate of 23.5 cents per gallon back on 1/1/1993. On 7/1/13, they stuck some kind of extra thing on it called "SUTE", along with raising the base tax a bit, and got it to 27.10 cents. And as of 7/1/2019, it stands at 36.7 cents per gallon.

My fill-up this morning cost $2.559/gal for 87 octane. Honestly, I don't find that to be too hideous.

I just bought gas for the lawn tractor and filled up the tank yesterday, July 1st here in the Chi suburbs. The pump price did not change overnight from 6/30 to 7/1.

I think the price of gas tax is lost in the noise. Prior to Jul, I have seen prices rise maybe 35 cents per gallon overnight, and then sometimes drop down again a few days later. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason for it.

The cost of materials and labor to maintain/improve roads increase over the years, and average MPG of cars increase. How is IL or any state for that matter, able to keep the road tax flat? Illinois' infrastructure is in horrible shape. I will gladly accept this increased tax for the short term. EV's don't pay anything for road tax and Hybrids don't pay their share comparatively. For the long term, our elected officials need to find a different formula for the revenue source IMO.

Update 7/2: I just went past the same station. Gas is is up 37 cents!

Last edited:
Ah, y'all complain too much.

Just take a road trip in Europe, and you will appreciate how cheap gasoline is in the States. :hide:

And you still have to pay tolls! I have not bothered to add up my trip expenses, but the toll cost was about the same as the fuel cost.

PS. On the plus side, their highways are universally good. Smooth as silk. And traffic was very light (who can afford to drive but tourists?), until you reach major cities.

Last edited:
1000 miles @ 13 m.p.g. equals 77 gallons... times the extra $.19 per gallon equals about an extra $15.00 this coming year.

Just want to do my part to reduce our Illinois debt. :flowers:
Thank you! I'll happily spend a few extra $$ for a financially stable Illinois. This is my home. I want better roads and bridges. Illinois is making major changes in policy. Something had to be done. Can only hope for the best.

Toll costs do add up if you hit them every day . I am seeing new toll roads everywhere , of course once the road is paid for the tolls will no longer exist ( wrong) . To avoid toll roads in Texas is a chore . Why can't they stop these bloated pensions and start people on 401K's like business has done. Wall Street would love this.

50% increase in gas tax, 7% increase in property taxes, Vote in Nov to change the flat tax to a progressive tax(change the constitution), and soon to come is tax on retirement benefits(pension, 401K, SS) This state continues to drive people to other states(I will be going to Missouri for all of my gas, selling my house to find less taxes, and voting no on the constitution change. Tennessee is looking better all the time.

Thank you! I'll happily spend a few extra $$ for a financially stable Illinois. This is my home. I want better roads and bridges. Illinois is making major changes in policy. Something had to be done. Can only hope for the best.

that “something” also includes identifying and eliminating waste, unnecessary programs, duplicate programs and cuts...actual cuts...in spending. only after that should increased taxes be considered.

Folks from Ill. I do feel your pain. When we planned our retirement we understood the two largest payments to be made were property taxes and health care. We moved to a very poor county where taxes are min. . We went from 6000.00 per year to 983.00 . But we have lots of gravel roads , no grocery store within 20mins. VERY good schools !
In Texas we pay 8 1/4 sales tax TOO MUCH . What does government want .

that “something” also includes identifying and eliminating waste, unnecessary programs, duplicate programs and cuts...actual cuts...in spending. only after that should increased taxes be considered.

+1

Well said rk911

I'll happily spend a few extra $$ for a financially stable Illinois.

I think I get your point but......... It will take a LOT more than "a few extra $$" to bring about a financially stable Illinois.

I'm not happy about higher taxes when they embolden our corrupt and/or greedy politicians to increase spending by more than the tax increase thereby increasing debt. They need to learn to work on both sides of the equation.

We are in the best economic times with low unemployment, high stock market, etc. I wonder what will become of Chicago and the state of Illinois if we went into a prolonged recession and people stopped spending money unless absolutely necessary? :confused:

Just wait until Illinois state gets all the unfunded liabilities from the Chicago pension plans. Saw that today in the news. Things are gonna cost what they are gonna cost it’s just how you and who you shift the burden to pay.

Next will
Be an exit tax to leave the state.

That's not so far fetched. Can't remember if it was New York or Connecticut that was going after peoples retirement funds after they left the state, although I am not sure how successful they were in getting their greedy hands on any of it.

That's not so far fetched. Can't remember if it was New York or Connecticut that was going after peoples retirement funds after they left the state, although I am not sure how successful they were in getting their greedy hands on any of it.

California tried to do this with military retirees that were stationed in the state. Feds said NOPE!

Gasoline tax is complicated.

Hmmm... I never looked into how fuel tax varies across state lines. Always thought CA has the highest, but it is only #2.

Note that there are fed tax, then state tax, and also sales taxes in some states. And then, there are gross receipts taxes, oil inspection fees, county and local taxes, underground storage tank fees and other miscellaneous environmental fees, according to API.org. I have read that gas tax is a complicated thing, and the above explains it.

The numbers below are the averages in each state, according to API.org (American Petroleum Institute).

As of 4/1/2019, the honor goes to PA at $0.771/gal, followed by CA at $0.7358, WA at $0.678, HI at $0.6516, NY at $0.6375, etc...

IL was at $0.5527 on 4/1/2019, becoming $0.7427 after the 19c increase if nothing else changes, making it surpass CA.

FL on the other hand is at $0.6039, according to the same source. So, sorry Amethyst, but Illinois residents have the right to complain. ;)

And by the way, AZ is at $0.3740, and TX at $0.3840.

See: https://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Statistics/State-Motor-Fuel-Taxes-Report-April-19.pdf.

Last edited:
I'm not going to complain too much about the Illinois gas tax increase. It took 29 years for the tax to double. Using the rule of 72's, that amounts to a 2.48% annual increase. I know of a lot more expenses that have escalated more than that.

I'm not going to complain too much about the Illinois gas tax increase. It took 29 years for the tax to double. Using the rule of 72's, that amounts to a 2.48% annual increase. I know of a lot more expenses that have escalated more than that.

Right, and I just read that the new law does index the tax to inflation going forward.

There's a lot of grumbling about this, but it seems pretty minor to me. ~ $90 a year if you drive 12,000 miles and get 25 mpg. The bigger issue with all the IL taxes as there is no talk about controlling spending, etc. So it is just a continuous drain which will push more people out of the state, requiring higher taxes on the ones that are left, rinse repeat...

https://www.governing.com/topics/mgmt/gov-states-losing-population-census.html

A growing number of people are choosing to leave the Land of Lincoln. Illinois lost an estimated 22,194 residents in 2015, by far the largest decline of any state.

Illinois’ net migration rate (-5.2 per 1,000 population) was lower than all other states, with the exception of Alaska.

-ERD50

..... The bigger issue with all the IL taxes as there is no talk about controlling spending, etc. So it is just a continuous drain which will push more people out of the state, requiring higher taxes on the ones that are left, rinse repeat.....

Exactly - for me at 20 mpg it is a penny extra a mile. Not a big deal. But the people are fed up with out of control spending. That is one of the main reasons for people leaving.

DW read that a Paducah, Ky gas station had an increase in gas sales by 85% today - from Illinois residents.

Aaaaa, quicherbellyakin about yer measly 38 cents. Florida's gas taxes range, by county, from 50.3 to 57.3 cents per gallon.

Yet another reason to stay away from Florida!

http://edr.state.fl.us/Content/local-government/data/county-municipal/2019LOFTrates.pdf

We were talking about state excise tax. To be fair, you should subtract the 18.4 cent per gallon Federal Fuel Excise tax to find the State and County Tax for a fair comparison. My math says your highest 57.3-18.4=38.9 per gallon state tax. Illinois allows several counties, as your state does, to add up an additional 8 cents per gallon. 38+8 = 46 cents per gallon. The Illinois gasoline excise tax is now indexed to the CPI. It will change every year going forward. On top of that, Illinois also adds a state sales tax to gasoline purchases and additional local sales taxes. Combined the sales taxes can add between 6.25% and as 10.75%.

If gas sells at $3.25 per gallon that sales tax could add another 35 cents per gallon in state taxes. 46 + 35 = 81 cents per gallon in Illinois state taxes.

I'm not trying to start a mine is bigger than yours fight. I'm just pointing out that numbers is hard.

Back
Top Bottom