I'm a geezer!

Did the online application for Kaiser Senior Advantage, got a receipt and was advised my packet should arrive in the snail mail in 10 days. Just the basic plan, no vision or dental and not the enhanced. My monthly pay will be $18 plus whatever they pull out of SS.

Got my rejection notice in the mail. WTF? Attempted to enroll outside of enrollment period. But Medicare happens on your birthday? A couple of days go by and I get an application form in the mail. Looking forward to your application. Enroll now!

I was going to inquire at my last doctor visit, but they were out to lunch.

So today I call, please wait, would you like a call back? Yes. They called back early. The guy knows that I applied and was turned down. Why?

I applied too early :) My reward for not procrastinating. Have to re-apply in April. Has to be within 30 days of Medicare effective date. Relief at being as simple as that.

So all you Kaiser Senior Advantage wannabes, don't jump the gun, wait until 30 days!

Why didn't you have to apply? Everybody I know who turned 65 still had to fill out an application, even though the govt knows exactly how old they are.

Even people who were still going to be employed, and would still have employer health insurance, had to apply for Part A. Is your situation different because you were widowed and MC comes with the survivor benefits?

My husband got his Medicare card in the mail too with no action from us. He did start his SS early, we did that all on line.

If you are receiving SS benes, you get your Medicare done for you. The card arrives along with the opt-out notice. You have to do something to opt-out, nothing to enroll.

The Kaiser thing is funny though. They said you need the Medicare info to apply for Senior Advantage but nothing about not applying more than 30 days early.

I applied for my Medicare 3 months before my birthday month. No issues. No denials. Card was issued quickly. I was not receiving SS.

Got my rejection notice in the mail. WTF? Attempted to enroll outside of enrollment period. But Medicare happens on your birthday? A couple of days go by and I get an application form in the mail. Looking forward to your application. Enroll now!

I was going to inquire at my last doctor visit, but they were out to lunch.

So today I call, please wait, would you like a call back? Yes. They called back early. The guy knows that I applied and was turned down. Why?

I applied too early :) My reward for not procrastinating. Have to re-apply in April. Has to be within 30 days of Medicare effective date. Relief at being as simple as that.

So all you Kaiser Senior Advantage wannabes, don't jump the gun, wait until 30 days!

That's odd. For us Original Medicare folks, we can apply for a Medigap Plan and a Part D Drug Plan, as soon as we are issued a Medicare number, which can be seen online in our myMedicare account, before the actual paper card comes in the mail. I applied online for Medicare the first day of the month 3 months ahead of my birthday month, then I applied for a Medigap Plan about 60 days before my birthday month, and then the Part D Drug Plan shortly thereafter. All that mattered was having that Medicare number.

I wonder if what you ran into, the apply no greater than 30 days ahead, was that specific MA provider only? I mean what do they worry about with you signing up before? It would seem to me that getting a customer to sign up further in advance is like a bird in the hand for them!

I have no idea, probably just Kaiser and their regiment of rules. Everything by the book ya know. The only thing I can think of is protecting themselves from a patient who develops "end stage renal disease" outside of the 30 days. I applied 90 days before coverage began. So as long as I don't contract ESRD in the next 50 days I should be good.

I took SS at 62. They told me I would be automatically enrolled for part A and Part B. Medicare card arrived about 3 mo before 65th Bday. I received a Happy Bday letter from the Military Base nearby explaining “Tricare Plus” and chose to enroll (no cost). The form cannot be officially processed in effect until I’m 65. Some things are probably best left to us.

Back
Top Bottom