I'm assuming this is a scam....

Years ago, I took a car to Carmax.
They offered me $500 (it was pretty old).
I put it up for sale on my own for $1,200 , just after the fellow in Canada was murdered by 2 people wanting to buy his truck. :eek:

So some guy came around, bought the car from me for $1,100 cash and drove it away without plates.

He never registered it, as he put it up for sale, claiming it was a higher model and priced it as $3,600.

I had to phone the State and report all this, as they don't have a good way to track vehicles.

I successfully sold the truck yesterday. There were a total of 4 'distance' scam offers. And about 10 offers that were ridiculously low.

Now to figure out what we want to replace it with. 1 day with two cars and 3 drivers and we're already realizing we need a practical car. (Truck wasn't practical.)

Here's another scam email attempt I just got. Way, way back I used the same old tired password on all sorts of junk sites. No doubt one of these sites did not encrypt passwords and was hacked.

Note the last paragraph - if i send her the $1400 she will leave me to live in peace. Yea. Right. And that Nigerian prince will eventually send me the $1.7 million dollars too!

Hey, I know your password is: old-tired-pswd-i-never-use-anymore

Your computer was infected with my malware, RAT (Remote Administration Tool), your browser wasn't updated / patched, in such case it's enough to just visit some website where my iframe is placed to get automatically infected, if you want to find out more - Google: "Drive-by exploit".

My malware gave me full access and control over your computer, meaning, I got access to all your accounts (see password above) and I can see everything on your screen, turn on your camera or microphone and you won't even notice about it.

I collected all your private data and I RECORDED YOU (through your webcam) SATISFYING YOURSELF!

After that I removed my malware to not leave any traces.

I can send the video to all your contacts, post it on social network, publish it on the whole web, including the darknet, where the sick people are, I can publish all I found on your computer everywhere!

Only you can prevent me from doing this and only I can help you out in this situation.

Transfer exactly 1400$ with the cryptocurrency DASH (DSH) to my DASH (DSH) address.

It's a very good offer, compared to all that horrible **** that will happen if I publish everything!

You can buy DASH (DSH) here: www.cex.io , www.binance.com , www.bitpanda.com , or Google for other exchanger.
You can send the DASH (DSH) directly to my address, or create your online wallet first here: www.cryptonator.com , www.freewallet.org or download and install your hardware wallet EXODUS first from: www.exodus.io and then send to mine.

My DASH (DSH) address is: deleted by me

Copy and paste my address, it's (deleted).

I give you 2 days to transfer the DASH (DSH).

As I got access to this email account, I will know if this email has already been read.
If you get this email multiple times, it's to make sure you read it, my mailer script has been configured like that and after payment you can ignore it!
After receiving the payment, I will remove everything and you can life your live in peace like before.

Next time update your browser before browsing the web!

Mail-Client-ID: 2495873

I NEVER sell or buy anything without meeting the other party, usually at a public place if I can. And payments are ALWAYS in cash.

Our local police station has a designated parking space for such transactions right in front of their building and on camera. A few months back I was on the phone with a Craigslist buyer who was ready to meet up with me to do the deal. I told him where to meet me and he suddenly lost interest. I can’t help wondering if I dodged a bullet. [emoji38]

CarMax routinely offers the high end of the blue book trade in value. So less than a private sale, but fair. And no hassle.
If I have one to sell I like to get an offer from them so I know the low-end and helps with pricing ( and pricing my time and hassle factor).

If you need a notary, your local bank usually has one. Another reason to consider transacting at a bank.

If you need a notary, your local bank usually has one. Another reason to consider transacting at a bank.
Around here, SW PA, banks will not notorize anything unless it is that particular bank's business.

So much for the "public" in notary public.

I hope to not be selling a car again in the near future. But the cash was legit and the price was several thousand above kbb trade in. (Kbb isn't accurate for this kind if truck).

Hind sight being 20-20 wish we had waited to sell the truck. With dh's accident we are down to 1 car. It's cramping all of our styles.

Around here, SW PA, banks will not notorize anything unless it is that particular bank's business.

So much for the "public" in notary public.

Chase banks are ubiquitous; you should be able to find one locally. I have never been asked if I was a customer when I went to my local Chase branch to get something notarized. It would be surprising to find a national bank with different regional policies like that.

Chase banks are ubiquitous; you should be able to find one locally. I have never been asked if I was a customer when I went to my local Chase branch to get something notarized. It would be surprising to find a national bank with different regional policies like that.

While far less significant than getting something notarized, I have gone to my local Chase banks over the years to get new checkbook registers because I use mine up more quickly than I order new blank checks (and my own bank doesn't have any). The reps are eager to give them to me (at no charge) and have never asked me if I was a Chase customer (which I am not).

Last edited:
While far less significant than getting something notarized, I have gone to my local Chase banks over the years to get new checkbook registers because I use mine up more quickly than I order new blank checks (and my own bank doesn't have any). The reps are eager to give them to me (at no charge) and have never asked me if I was a Chase customer (which I am not).

It's funny. I went into Chase to change some hundreds into twenties a while ago and they asked me if I was a customer. I am, but I wonder if they would have done it if I weren't. Maybe next time I'll say no and see what happens.

Just got another remote buyer... offered to pay extra to 'hold the car'.

I've got two different parties looking to see it tomorrow. Hope one of them is serious.

It's a well known, well documented scam. You can look it up. I went through same thing...so researched it. As my dad yelling at me, saying it was legit (try to sell his stair chair,elevator thing)...thank God, I was there, as I didn't fall for it.he would have. It is very easy to fake a cashier's check, so that bank will take it..you then get some cash to give the scammer, to help him move the item. In a few days the bank will realize it's a fake cashier's check. You are out that cash.

Textbook scam. Tell him that you will accept the check, he can get the money back and the keys - two weeks after check clears, when he comes to pick up the truck. And mention BTW, that the transaction will take place at the local police station. :-D

Yes its a SCAM. I sell them once in a while. I meet them at the local bank parking lot. I make them go in and get cash.. AND I remove the TAGS (TX) and I register the sale with TXDOT immediately. All due to lessons learned the hard way..

Actually heard of this being run in CA. You are paying the transport and the check you get is bad. Scammer gets your truck and you get screwed.

Chase banks are ubiquitous; you should be able to find one locally.

Except for the 14 states where Chase doesn’t have a brick & mortar presence. But yes, I’ve noticed in my travels that in many areas of the country they seem to be on every third block. :)

Back
Top Bottom