I'm At F.I. Finally!

Congrats on reaching your number.

As I mentioned in another thread (How much is enough) - the 4% WR is 4% of your investments INCLUDING the earnings from the investments. You can't double dip by taking the earnings and 4% - that's effectively a higher than 4% withdrawal rate.

Regardless - you're at FI or very close... but you may want to double check your numbers to make sure aren't planning a WR that is higher than is sustainable.

Sorry I misspoke. Of course I know one can't (or at least shouldn't) take both the 4% and earnings and yes I know the 4% withdrawal is based on the total portfolio, a portfolio which has already included gains/earnings/dividends.

I've confirmed my numbers in FIREcalc several times. I would like to add more to my portfolio for additional cushion, but technically, according to FIREcalc and other retirement calculators, the anticipated success rate right now is at 99.9% if my anticipated living expenses are accurate.

Congratulations! Your financial prudence and perseverance paid off, not needing to work is such a sweet spot to be in.

Congratulations! I'm really happy for you. You will enjoy your new retirement life, I'm sure.

Just an update: I did indeed get laid off the end of October and I couldn't have been happier. Waking up with a smile on my face has been such a nice change. The timing was excellent and the stock market gains the last 5+ months solidified my position. Feels fantastic!

Nothing like the feeling of being prepared and thus able to shrug off what might have been devastating news. Now, it's time to enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

-BB

Update:

I'm now 20 months into my retirement and I'm so happy and grateful for the freedom of early retirement. The relief and weight lifted from trying to justify my existence in a job that never was well-defined, in a truly dysfunctional organization, is sweet.

It might have felt different had I been happy and well-utilized at the company, but it was bad from day 1. I spent my entire 2 1/2 years hanging on through several reorganizations and socking away $$$$ as fast and furious as I could, with the hope of never having to work again once I was gone from that place.

After the layoff, which was a happy event for me, life suddenly made sense. :-D

I love these sorts of updates! So glad everything worked out and thank you for sharing your story - it's great motivation!

Great news!

Back
Top Bottom