I'm starting SS in January

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Not as planned, but I'm starting SS in January. I'll be 62 but the path to SS was a bit different than I expected. The good news is that I'll be getting my full SS amount as if I had waited until FRA. Unfortunately, that's because I have a medical condition that put me on the disability track.

I had an autoimmune problem and it attacked my kidneys and I ended up on dialysis. Apparently, once you're on dialysis (End Stage Renal Disease), you're considered disabled. I was dubious that it was that straight forward, but I submitted my application in early July and I got my approval letter today in the mail. Kind of hard to believe that, being retired, I can be disabled. Heck, I wasn't going to work anyway. It was weird filling out the application. It had a bunch of questions that you would expect around my physical abilities. Frankly, I feel pretty good and answered the questions accordingly. It's an inconvenience to go to dialysis, but overall, I'm doing pretty good. So, I guess it is pretty much a given - kidney failure = disability.

The first payment will start in January of 2023. There's a 5 month waiting period. DW will be at full retirement age this year (November) and we see no reason to wait any longer and her payments will start in January also. At that time, my pension plus our two SS checks will cover our budget. This has been a heck of a ride medically, but it will be good to know that we'll have very little, if anything being withdrawn from our retirement accounts - at least until RMDs kick in.

I have to give some kudos to SSA. The process went very smoothly. I applied online, they did send me some questionaries that I filled out and mailed back to them and they updated the status of their review in my SS account online. I'm sure it's not that way for many, but in my case, it went well.

So, it doesn't make up for my medical situation, but I can't help but be a little happy that I'm getting my FRA amount at 62.

Question - The letter says that SS is not taxable for a married couple making under $32K. My pension, our only income other than SS, is just under $30K. Does that mean that mine and DW's SS will not be taxed?

Kidney failure and dialysis is a pain I hear. But you may be able to continue a bunch of years with it. Good luck with that, and congrats on retirement. :greetings10:

OP-

Sorry to read about the medical condition. But, happy you’re in good financial condition. Now, go out and BTD on something you’ve always wanted to have or do!

Sorry OP about the medical condition. Sounds like you are handling your situation well. Are the rules for taxation of a disability payment the same as Running Bum posted?

I think end stage renal disease requiring dialysis is one of those diagnoses that without question qualifies one for disability, regardless of feeling pretty normal, because it requires careful medical management, time-consuming dialysis, and regular blood chemistry monitoring. Does the autoimmune condition mean that you are not a candidate for a kidney transplant? (I know your question was financial, so if the medical question is too intrusive, my apologies and no need to answer.)

Does the autoimmune condition mean that you are not a candidate for a kidney transplant? (I know your question was financial, so if the medical question is too intrusive, my apologies and no need to answer.)

I’m too new to this to be sure, but my nephrologist said that the autoimmune issue is not a deal breaker for transplant. He said they use the same drugs for the autoimmune issue as they do to prevent organ rejection. I guess that makes some sense.

I'm so very sorry to hear that. I really hate that term 'end-stage renal disease'. I hope by some miracle, you get cured.

I’m too new to this to be sure, but my nephrologist said that the autoimmune issue is not a deal breaker for transplant. He said they use the same drugs for the autoimmune issue as they do to prevent organ rejection. I guess that makes some sense.

On that basis, you might start looking for family/friends who would be willing to donate. Some folks tolerate dialysis very well for a long time (a local friend lived to 95 having endured dialysis for 25 years.) Average tolerance is considerably less. Waiting on a "list" usually means you have to be pretty sick before hitting the kidney lottery. Better to be prepared if that is possible. Best of luck to you.

Jerry1 - Sending wishes for a transplant or cure to come your way. We had a relative who lived a fairly normal life and lived to a ripe old age, despite needing dialysis treatments several times a week for over a decade.

Jerry- best wishes from all of us. Please keep us posted on your progress.

A long time ago I sold a tiller to a young man that was on dialysis. His preferred snack was blueberries. He told me these were the best tolerated fruit, for some reason. Not sure why.

Good luck and I wish you well also.

Glad to hear that SSA went smoothly for you and I am glad to hear that you are doing well financially.

Sad to hear about your diagnosis. Wishing you the best on your health care treatments.

...Are the rules for taxation of a disability payment the same as Running Bum posted?
Good question. My findings from a few Google search hits is that it is the same.

Medical issues are costly and glad you are getting relief thru SS, and I hope the kidney transplant route will be an option for you in the future.

Thanks for the well wishes. Actually, I'm doing pretty good. Dialysis is boring but I'm moving to an at home method that will give me more freedom. My main worry is the autoimmune problem. Apparently it attacks the small vessels in the body which are primarily the sinuses, lungs and kidneys. I had sinus issues for over a year but no one thought of the autoimmune issue. Then I thought I had COVID, but it was my kidneys going bad. By the time they figured out my kidneys were failing, it was too late.

They have it under control but the steroids are nasty and the infusion therapy will shut down my immune system and I'll be immune compromised. I'm trying to process that now. I don't see me living in isolation so I'll have to figure something out. My biggest worry is if the autoimmune were to kick back up again and attack my lungs. If that happens, I won't be posting any more, or anything else for that matter.

All in all, I just have to accept that no one knows how or when their time will come and this is my path. I'll make the best of it. I sincerely realize that many have it much worse and I'm grateful for my life, no matter the challenges.

Wishing you all the best Jerry.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Does being approved for disability mean that you will get Medicare early?

Hearfelt best wishes and admiration for your positive attitude.

We have to live with what we get, and you seem to be doing a good job at it.

Jerry,

Sorry to hear of your health issue. Best of luck with this, going forward.

I want to compliment you on your great attitude!

omni

Hearfelt best wishes and admiration for your positive attitude.

We have to live with what we get, and you seem to be doing a good job at it.

Jerry - Braumeister summed up what I would have said, but better.

Hoping you have a long retirement and no new medical issues.

Back
Top Bottom