Septic Shock

f35phixer

Full time employment: Posting here.
Well, we were down in Key West and got a call at 0145 from DD's (god I don't know what to call her) lets say Partner. XXXXX you have to come and help with your dad. He has a 102 temp and has gotten up and is out in garage walking around in a daze....

Ok we'll be there in about 6 hours :mad:

So got admitted to ICU and diagnosed with septic shock etc etc. Blood pressure and O2 DOWN badly .....

His echo cardiogram showed Dr's words a vegetable garden growing on his Mitral Valve. He had open heart surgery to replace with this nice piece of metal that bacteria loves to cling to, also concerns about pacemaker wiring etc. Going down his esophagus tomorrow to get better look.

He is MUCH better then he was when I first saw him, Cardiologist says basically two options Open heart and replace or life time of anti biotic. DD doesn't want the replace I don't either !!!

So goggle brought this up when researching sepsis/septic shock.
https://www.sepsis.org/sepsisand/septic-shock/

He's a strong 88, but Sis and I have concerns about the possible side effects.

Anyone have any good /bad or ugly stories to share?

Thanks.

Our friend had a quadruple bypass heart surgery done about 10 years ago. A couple of years later, he kept having this low grade fever, shivers and had no energy. Tests after tests they could not identify what was wrong. He got admitted to the hospital several times because he lost consciousness. Another 6 to 9 months later, his friend heard about his problem and immediately identified his problem with bacteria infection with some sort of tube which was placed in the heart. His friend contacted our friend's cardiologist who immediately admitted him, cut him open again, and replaced the valve. Apparently it is very common. He has been well since then.

It sounds like it may be the same issue. Based on my friend's experience, I would do another open heart surgery and replace the valve.

My father had the same thing 2 years ago. Heart valve replacement, bacterial infection that almost killed him. The effects of the infection in him were crazy, he was hallucinating insanely, saying outrageous things. They nailed the bacteria, tailored the antibiotic and the long slog to recover began. 3 months in hospitals and convalescent home. It was unbelievable. He’s 83 years old.

**my dad is on antibiotics daily for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
Our friend had a quadruple bypass heart surgery done about 10 years ago. A couple of years later, he kept having this low grade fever, shivers and had no energy. Tests after tests they could not identify what was wrong. He got admitted to the hospital several times because he lost consciousness. Another 6 to 9 months later, his friend heard about his problem and immediately identified his problem with bacteria infection with some sort of tube which was placed in the heart. His friend contacted our friend's cardiologist who immediately admitted him, cut him open again, and replaced the valve. Apparently it is very common. He has been well since then.

It sounds like it may be the same issue. Based on my friend's experience, I would do another open heart surgery and replace the valve.

The gentleman is 88 years old and doesn't want surgery. Second time chest splitting involves considerably more risk. Any heart surgeon will confirm that. .if Dad wants to go with the meds,go with the meds.

I had septic shock as the result of a prostate biopsy. Never so scared in my life! Thought this was 'it'. Every time a Dr came into the room I was expecting a "we don't know what to do" comment.

Thank God for a great hospital a mile away and mega-doses of IV antibiotics. A full week in the hospital followed by a month of antibiotic pills the size of your thumb.

So. My point is if Dad should be ok after the regimen. Not fun while going through it though.

Your original message was a bit cryptic. Did they replace his mitral valve in the past or during this hospitalization? The options are "open heart and replace" but you didn't say what they want to replace. Replacing a pacemaker is a given, and does not require open heart surgery, so I guess you meant replace the valve? Which was just replaced? Or replaced in the past?

None of us here, even us medical folks, are qualified to give a second opinion, but it is wise when faced with a medical conundrum to seek a second opinion. Also, internet searches can give you more knowledge and information if you look at the better resources: Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, and multiple academic institutions.

When faced with any either-or situation, making a pros and cons list for any decision can be helpful in deciding. Also, remember, it's ultimately dad's decision.

Last thought-bacterial endocarditis (generally a heart valve infection) is often linked with poor oral health. While dad is on these megadose antibiotics, make sure he is getting regular dental care and addressing dental health issues.

My 88 yr old mother had her mitral valve replaced and it wasn't open heart surgery, it was done through a small incision in her side. She recovered from that procedure pretty quickly. If your doc is talking open heart surgery, I guess this isn't an option, but I would ask him why not.

Thank you All.

EWG sorry just all happening so fast.

Mitral valve I thought had been replace but yesterday got confirmation that is an original part ;-) I need to verify which valves etc he had replaced, i cant remmeber.... Does have a pacemaker.

Dad in last coupe, months has had Dental work and also within last month had carpel tunnel work down on right hand.

DD thanks for that info, not sure why our cardio DR said open heart again...

Will update when echo from today comes back.

Thank you All.

EWG sorry just all happening so fast.

Mitral valve I thought had been replace but yesterday got confirmation that is an original part ;-) I need to verify which valves etc he had replaced, i cant remmeber.... Does have a pacemaker.

Dad in last coupe, months has had Dental work and also within last month had carpel tunnel work down on right hand.

DD thanks for that info, not sure why our cardio DR said open heart again...

Will update when echo from today comes back.

It's not as simple as asking for the robotic replacement. Each case is evaluated independently.

Best wishes for better health your Father.

My 88 yr old mother had her mitral valve replaced and it wasn't open heart surgery, it was done through a small incision in her side. She recovered from that procedure pretty quickly. If your doc is talking open heart surgery, I guess this isn't an option, but I would ask him why not.

My DW had the same procedure in 2017. No sternum breaking! It still was not fun though.

The doc who did my stents does valve replacement via heart cath. I don't know if this technique is appropriate to your dad's situation but worth an ask. Best of luck and much aloha.

UPDATE:
Got dad back to his house today.... Doing pretty good, he'll be on 28 day antibiotic XYZZZZZZZZZ. Home care nurse will come tomorrow and give his "WHOEVER SHE IS"

I have come back to Englewood to be with DW, Sister comes to dads on Sunday.

Well this was quite opening, he is still very tired and seems to have mentally slowed down a bit. He is the one always reminds me "Hey remember when....." Sharp as all get out, i hope this was just mental drain of being in hospital for 4 days.

Whoever she is lessons on how to give antibiotic.

Why cant i edit my mistake:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Why cant i edit my mistake:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

The edit window closes six hours after you post. That's to help ethically challenged posters avoid the temptation to meddle with history. Unfortunately it also prevents the simple editing of mistakes like yours as well - and why it's always a good idea to review your posts within that six hour time frame.

The edit window closes six hours after you post. That's to help ethically challenged posters avoid the temptation to meddle with history. Unfortunately it also prevents the simple editing of mistakes like yours as well - and why it's always a good idea to review your posts within that six hour time frame.

well it might have been two minutes when i said you dumb butt, fix your stupid mistake.

well it might have been two minutes when i said you dumb butt, fix your stupid mistake.

I see that.... there is a little button that says edit in the bottom right hand corner of your post. When you hit that the typing window for your entire post should open. It's there for 6 hours..

Whelp, Dad and the "women" along wonderful neighbor Nurse got thru the first round of 28 and dad says it went pretty good. They all got the steps required.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom