In-plan Roth conversions

monte1022

Recycles dryer sheets
My old employer is late to the Roth 401k party. However, now that they are in the game, the plan will allow for in-plan conversions. We are currently managing our income for ACA purposes and fully understand how tIRA conversions increase ACA MAGI, but does anyone know how an in-plan conversion would impact ACA MAGI? Same?

I'm pretty sure an in plan 401k Roth conversion gets taxed the same as a tIRA to RIRA.

It might be worth doing if the 401k offers something the RIRA does not. But the Roth 401k has a separate 5 year clock from the Roth IRA.

I would expect any conversion, I plan or not to add to your taxable income and thus the MAGI.
The 5 year rule for Roth starts when you fund any Roth, so you could open a Roth IRA and deposit say $20 to start the clock. Some may require a minimum to open the account but Idid this for my brother at fidelity without a problem.
Personally I’d wait for pb4uski to chime in and I’d trust his advice on the matter.

I would expect any conversion, I plan or not to add to your taxable income and thus the MAGI.
The 5 year rule for Roth starts when you fund any Roth, so you could open a Roth IRA and deposit say $20 to start the clock. Some may require a minimum to open the account but Idid this for my brother at fidelity without a problem.
Personally I’d wait for pb4uski to chime in and I’d trust his advice on the matter.

I'm 90% sure the 5 year clock on a Roth 401k is not connected to the 5 year clock on a Roth IRA.

I also trust pb4uski advice. But he/she is not signing your tax forms. You have to figure out for your self how these things work

I have a very old Roth IRA so the 5yr rule is not a problem. I was just wondering if converting ie. 50k trad 401k to 50k Roth 401k increases ACA MAGI the same way it does when converting a tIRA to Roth IRA. It would seem likely, but who knows? Maybe there is a special rule for 401ks. Doubtful though.

Yeah, in-plan 401k conversions are the same, and essentially at Roth 401k is the same as a Roth IRA. The "secure act" law cleaned up one of the differences that did previously exist regarding RMD treatment that was not favorable to Roth 401ks. That's now been fixed.

Back
Top Bottom