Inbetween COBRA and Medicare

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
On March 31, 2022, my wife's COBRA coverage expires and cannot be continued. She is eligible for Medicare on July 1st of the same year, meaning she has a three month window of coverage to worry about. Due to her poor health I would not think of her not being covered for those three months and just hoping for the best. Has anyone ever gotten health insurance coverage for just three months? I was told that Florida Blue would do it, and I live in Florida. Thanks for any advice, etc.

You can get a marketplace policy that is ACA compliant, effective April 1, then cancel effective July 1. No problem at all. Florida Blue has multiple policy options - an HMO, a PPO with a smaller local network, and a PPO with a large nation-wide network. Beginning 11/15 you can even see the 2022 prices for those policies.

In order to get the April 1 effective start date you should probably start the application process late February, and I believe it has to be completed before March 15. This will be outside the open enrollment window, but in your case that’s not an issue because the end of Cobra coverage is a qualifying event for ACA enrollment after Jan 1

Last edited:
You can get a marketplace policy that is ACA compliant, effective April 1, then cancel effective July 1. No problem at all. Florida Blue has multiple policy options - an HMO, a PPO with a smaller local network, and a PPO with a large nation-wide network. Beginning 11/15 you can even see the 2022 prices for those policies.

In order to get the April 1 effective start date you should probably start the application process late February, and I believe it has to be completed before March 15. This will be outside the open enrollment window, but in your case that’s not an issue because the end of Cobra coverage is a qualifying event for ACA enrollment after Jan 1

^^^^^ This is exactly what I would do.

Exactly as above. Expiry of Cobra is a qualifying event to join an ACA plan.

Cobra ends - go on ACA
Medicare begins - end ACA go on Medicare
easy peasy.

Florida has a good selection, including BCBS, you can browse for ideas now on the florida BCBS site.

Back
Top Bottom