Increasing SS payout

MichealKnight

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello. my final year for FICA withholding was 2021 - age 46.

I'm looking at my SS statement, it shows 1981-1990, $1,136 in taxed earnings. (I was a kid)

From 1991 until 2021 it shows yearly FICA taxable earnings being anywhere from $37,000 to $142,800 per year.

Total I paid: $146,000. Total Employer Paid: $150,000.

Since I stopped working at 46 I full realize my SS income one day is to be less than what the statement forecasts *if* I kept working - I get that. Here is my question:

What if I hypothetically work a W-2 job - even for one year?

If I earn $40,000.... and between me and the employer there is an additional $4,800 paid into FICA.

Does that extra $4800 eventually come back to me and if so how much?

If I did this for 5 years....that means a total of $4800x5= $24,000 is paid into the 'pot' on behalf of me - again, does that mean I get an extra $24k back one day and if so, how do they pay it out?

Thanks

It's complicated. Short answer is that you'll get some amount back, but it's not like the amount is paid into an account with your name on it.

If you worked one more year at $40K and you didn't already have 35 years of earnings in, then it would raise your AIME by $40K / 35 or about $1,143.

You're likely to be between the first and second bend points, so that would increase your PIA by 32% of that, or about $366. I *think*, in a simple case, that's how much your benefit would increase at your full retirement age.

If you're beyond the second bend point, then it would be 15%, or $171.

If you already had 35 years of SS earnings, then the $40K might replace one of those earlier years of earnings. If so, the increase in PIA would be less, because it would only increase by the inflation-adjusted difference in the two wage amounts.

The 35 years of SS earnings included are all inflation adjusted, though, so if you made $30K in 1991, that would be higher than $40K today, so today's earnings wouldn't replace 1991's earnings in that scenario.

There are a ton of other details and caveats and adjustments that I'm leaving out.

The following might be useful: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/Benefits.html

But SS estimates of your benefit are calculated based on your most recent tax return they know about (which is usually a year or two old). And they assume you're going to make that same amount from now until you start collecting. If you last paid FICA in 2021, your SS estimate might already be based on $0 earnings. So your estimate might already reflect the lower amount that you'll get based on quitting work at 46.

The math above still happens, but you may elect not to go back to work if your current SS estimate already reflects not working from now on and you're happy with that number. Also, SS estimates are based in current dollars; the future amount you get will - more or less - have the same purchasing power as your current SS estimate, even if it's 20 years in the future when you start collecting.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for replying, I'll read that a few times I'm sure :) . While on topic....

SS statement says that if I keep working till retirement age, I'd get $3,618 monthly at age 67.

I stopped at 46. I read the SS website...

I"n the case of early retirement, a benefit is reduced 5/9 of one percent for each month before normal retirement age, up to 36 months. If the number of months exceeds 36, then the benefit is further reduced 5/12 of one percent per month."

So....36 months x.55% reduction per month.... ok, I get dinged for 19.8% reduction? BUT then....

Age 67 minus age 46 is approx 252 months. x .41% (5/12) per month....

= 103% reduction.....meaning I'd have to *pay* monthly social security to the government, lol obviously that isn't right.

My age 67 benefit shows $3618 a month if I keep working.

I stopped at age 46, with about $300k Total FICA paid into the system.

Any guesses what SS benefit I'd get at retirement age if I don't work again?

(ALSO....PIA ' bend points' - the estimates you wrote of $366 and $171 -- would that be monthly bump, or yearly? )

I'm toying with the idea of *not* risking my nest egg to start another business - but rather just swallow pride, do some W-2 'job' work and maybe put a few more bucks away for my kids and bump a bit of my SS in the process.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for replying, I'll read that a few times I'm sure :) . While on topic....

SS statement says that if I keep working till retirement age, I'd get $3,618 monthly at age 67.

I"n the case of early retirement, a benefit is reduced 5/9 of one percent for each month before normal retirement age, up to 36 months. If the number of months exceeds 36, then the benefit is further reduced 5/12 of one percent per month."

So....36 months x.55% reduction per month.... ok, I get dinged for 19.8% reduction? BUT then....

= 103% reduction.....meaning I'd have to *pay* monthly social security to the government, lol obviously that isn't right.

(ALSO....PIA ' bend points' - the estimates you wrote of $366 and $171 -- would that be monthly bump, or yearly? )

I'm toying with the idea of *not* risking my nest egg to start another business - but rather just swallow pride, do some W-2 'job' work and maybe put a few more bucks away for my kids and bump a bit of my SS in the process.

Forget all this math and plug your numbers into http://ssa.tools

My suspicion is your already above the 2nd bend point if you have paid $146k in social security taxes.

Oops, you’re correct. Working additional years will increase the benefit, but likely not much. The SSA tools site linked above will help answer the question.

Based on your original post, you only have 20 years of earnings. Your SS benefit is based on 35 years of earnings. When SS determines your benefit, they will add 15 years of zero earnings. This will significantly lower the amount of your benefits. More info from SS https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/assets/materials/eligibility-for-benefits.pdf

If someone already has lifetime earnings that put them past the second SS PIA
Bend Point, then the marginal return for additional years of working is minimal.

When I first realized this, it was an "ah-ha" moment for me letting me know that I was much closer to FI than I earlier thought. I think I have only have 22 years of significant earnings -- lots of zero years and less than $5,000 years in my earnings history.

-gauss

I guessing that any increase in SS would be minimal (you are probably at, or near, the second bend point). But any money you make in a business, or a w2 job, might make a difference.

This math is for when you claim, not for when you stop working. You can't claim before age 62, so claiming at 62 gets you 70% of your PIA, claiming at 67 gets you 100% and claiming at 70 gets you 124% of the PIA. Of course the longer you wait, the fewer checks you get.

It is simple on the SS web page to enter zero for future earnings to see a better estimate of your PIA.

Since you have some zeros or very small values, your benefit may rise enough to pay for the extra tax.

The SSA use the average wage index (grows much faster than CPI) to factor up your earnings up to age 60, so the numbers plugged into the final calculation for those early year earnings get quite a bit bigger than you might think - if your $37K earning year was in 1991, those earnings are factored up by 2.92 to get today's indexed earnings of $108,200 for instance.

They then sum your top 35 years of indexed earnings and divide by 12 to get your Average Indexed Monthly Earnings. As you continue to work you will be replacing some zeros or small early values with larger ones. (SecondCor521 gave a somewhat confusing answer here - the index uses monthly earnings, so a year with $40,000 in earnings that replaces a year with zero, increases your monthly earnings by $40,000 / 420 months = $95/mo.)

Your AIME is put through a formula to get the Primary Insurance Amount (the amount you get at full retirement age). The PIA formula has two "bend points" to allow low wage earners to get a higher percentage of their working year earnings than high earners.

The first bend point is at an AIME of $1174/mo. Your PIA is 90% of your AIME below that.
In between $1174 and $7078, you add 32% of the amount above $1174.
For amounts above $7078/mo, you add 15%.

So to make up an example, if your AIME were $7500, your PIA would be:
0.9*1174 = $1056.60
+0.32*(7078-1174) = $1889.28
+0.15*(7500-7078) = $63.30
Grand Total =$3009.18, truncated to $3009.10.

The bend points are adjusted up annually by the Average Wage Index through age 60.

If you are above the first bend point and below the second, your PIA increases by 32% of the AIME. For your $40K/year example, the PIA would increase by 0.32 x the $95/month AIME increase = $30/mo. = $360/year. You pay 7.65% of $40K = $3060 to get those benefits, so over an average lifetime, you would still be a winner.

Once you reach the second bend point and only get 15% of the increase in AIME, then the math switches and working an extra year grows your lifetime benefit by much less than the extra tax you pay in. I had one year where the indexed earnings were $20K below the max and last year hit the max, replacing that older year. That meant I paid $11,245 in SS taxes last year. For that, my AIME went up by $20,000/420 = $47.6 and my PIA goes up by 15% of that, so $7.10/mo. This year, I have no more years below the max, so I paid $12,255 in SS taxes and get zero extra.

As to whether it's worth it, the eventual increase in SS benefit is a very small piece of the decision. Working gives you money, interaction and maybe purpose, but takes up your time, may force you to follow a schedule and may bring aggravation. Those are far bigger factors than a few $/mo many years in the future.

If someone already has lifetime earnings that put them past the second SS PIA
Bend Point, then the marginal return for additional years of working is minimal.

When I first realized this, it was an "ah-ha" moment for me letting me know that I was much closer to FI than I earlier thought. I think I have only have 22 years of significant earnings -- lots of zero years and less than $5,000 years in my earnings history.

-gauss

Same here - I looked at replacing a zero year and it was depressing how little it would help

Your SS benefit is based on 35 years of earnings. When SS determines your benefit, they will add 15 years of zero earnings. This will significantly lower the amount of your benefits.

It really doesn't.

Stopped working at age 46 in 2015 with 24 years of contributions. Current SS numbers are around $39,000 benefit at age 67 (in todays dollars). If had worked another 11 years it would only go up a tiny amount. I think it was just a couple hundred a month (for 11 years of working!)

Three things:

1. SS assumes that you "keep working" until retirement age at your current W-2 income. Since your current W-2 income is probably zero (check your latest SS yearly earnings on the SS site - does it have a $0 for 2022 yet?), then it is calculating the $3,618 assuming you "keep working" making $0 from now on.

Or you can use one of the several tools suggested by others.

2. The part that I clipped from your post above about the deduction for claiming early...as someone else already correctly pointed out, that's only for the amount of time between when you claim and when your full retirement age is, not for when you stop working.

3. @Exchme is being kind. I knew the math I posted earlier was giving too high of results. It was because I was neglecting the fact that AIME is *monthly*, not *yearly*, so I was too high by a factor of 12. AKA I was wrong. Thanks @Exchme for the correction.

Basically, past the second bend point any increase in SS benefits for working a W-2 job are, IMHO, not worth it.

You can download the program ANYPIA from the social security website. You have to enter all your data manually including prior years FICA earnings then you can enter zeros for 2022 and beyond.

I retired in 2012 at age 54, I used it to estimate my PIA for my FRA for several years until it matched my yearly statement from SS.

Thank you to all

Thank you everybody who has been replying, each post was very informative and helpful and the 'tool' calculator a few of you provided was indeed helpful.

In case anyone is interested, or someone else stumbles on this thread later.....

PIA
Mine says $3,275 per month if I never work again.

If I work 19 more years@$50,000 per year..... PIA goes to $3394.00

*wow*

The last few years I've had to put certain principles and ego items in check. I get a huuuuuuuuuuge ACA subsidy and part of me feels bad as it's basically subsidizing a yearly family vacation. I paid 0 Federal taxes last year.

Now, a guy who works 19 more years than me.....gets an extra $120 per month.

Then the devil on my shoulder reminds me - there were years I personally paid $200K in federal taxes, so who knows, maybe it all is just averaging out now.

I've not had a "job" since I was 22, always owned my companies since then so it would be a slight gut-punch to have a boss.....but to go back into the industry I did well at would take every bit of $1.5-$2.00mm....meaning 50% of my money. The reward could be millions, but a wrong turn - could mean food stamps. not to mention I'd again be going against competitors with legacy money in the 8-9 figures range. It was hard the first time!!!!!!!

Hence I'm toying with working - not to 'pay the rent' but rather, re-boot myself *if* I want to get back into business but mainly, to have some extra funds to help kids in the future.

SS@62 - $2306 monthly - if I never work again
I plugged in 4 extra years@50k pay - - it goes to $2356 per month.

So about $24K extra I'd contribute to FICA and get $600 a year back from age 62-82 (debatable if I'm here till 82 as I eat my morning donut right now)....

It mentally doesn't compute for me that I'd pay in $24k, and over a 20 year period get back $12k. But- - it *would* be somewhat bumped for inflation so the is something to ponder but at this point.....if I worked, it would be to put away cash....increasing SS doesn't seem to be a big prize.

Part of my early-retire plan was that at age 62, 100% of my SS would be used for medical/dental expenses:

$2306/mo x 12= $27,672

-20% benefit cuts = $22,137 (I feel cuts are a done deal)

-15% taxes

=$18,816 per year is what I anticipate getting.

Back
Top Bottom