Insurance Through AARP?

I joined at 50 and have enjoyed the magazine ... good articles pertinent to our age group.

The discounts seem the same as AAA..... so no big deal there.

The politics.... well, it seems no two people can agree on anything in politics anymore.... but I do think AARP in general is an advocate for the average person over 50.

They do some good things: I volunteer each tax season for AARP Tax-Aide... a partnership of AARP with the IRS... to do income tax returns for people... mostly over 50 and mostly not high-income. They certainly aren't making money off of this.... the intent is only to help.

I'm turning 60 and the AARP/Aetna high deductible insurance is a better deal than any other alternatives.... much better. ( Car insurance is 4x what Geico is... so everything they offer isn't good.)

The membership is minimal.... to me, even with nothing else, it would be worth it for the magazine.

... just my 2 cents.

12 years ago they sent me the crap on joining. I was only 48, and so for a joke sent in the $12 to join--figured they'd have to return my check. Nope--I became a member at 48----do like the magazines, etc., and figure they do swing a lot of political clout.

Before going with any insurance, get competitive offers. USAA is not the company it was. Do your research. It is a royal PIA, and much easier to stand pat, but I am pretty sure that we are going elsewhere for home and auto. They have been very difficult to deal with. I have over 20 years experience with them, and it is just time to go. We will look at GEICO and State Farm. Any others I should look at in NJ?

We will look at GEICO and State Farm. Any others I should look at in NJ?

I don't know if they extend coverage as far as NJ, but if so it would be worth checking Erie. I've had auto and homeowner's with them for many years and have been very happy.

Before going with any insurance, get competitive offers. USAA is not the company it was. Do your research. It is a royal PIA, and much easier to stand pat, but I am pretty sure that we are going elsewhere for home and auto. They have been very difficult to deal with. I have over 20 years experience with them, and it is just time to go. We will look at GEICO and State Farm. Any others I should look at in NJ?

Before you leave them, really do your homework. If you think USAA difficult, wait til you are dealing with someone else... While I have no direct dealing with other insurers, I have heard plenty of stories and have seen what neighbors were put through with other insurers. Last year Decatur was hit with a severe hail storm, literally every home in our neighborhood had moderate to severe hail damage on the roof. I called USAA and they had an appraiser on site within 48 hrs, his estimate was low based on the three estimates for repairs I had, I faxed him copies and he increased his estimate for replacing the shingles accordingly. I have neighbors that are still dealing with their insurance companies.

I have had State Farm insurance for both home and vehicles for more than 30 years and have never had any reason to complain. They have always paid off on any claims in a prompt and fair manner, and, no, I do not work for them.

Shortly after being hired by DoD in 1982 I applied for auto insurance from GEICO, they were then the Government Employees Insurance Corp. They turned me down saying my driving record was not good enough. My record was perfectly clean and in my 63 years have had one ticket for speeding in 1976. What GEICO was apparently unaware of is that in North Dakota the state has to notify the individual if anyone gets their driving record. I was never notified by the state so as far as I know GEICO never asked for my driving record. At the time I was 35 years old and driving a high horse power sports car, I assume that is the real reason I was turned down.

Back
Top Bottom