Interesting read on ins and outs of repealing ACA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LARS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Bummer- the page has an ad blocker-blocker.

Link works for me. Sorry. Maybe you could do a google search with headline and get there that way...

Headline:"Despite Republican pledges, 'repealing Obamacare' will be almost impossible — but it could be vandalized"

I'm sure there are hundreds or thousands of articles everywhere about this issue. I believe I saw one just this morning that states the opposite of the linked one here. Believe all or none, if something actually happens after the inauguration, you'll know then which were accurate.

Thanks for sharing. The link worked for me.

ACA is the sole reason that we were able to retire so early. Before ACA we couldn't have afforded health insurance. Sure hope it isn't gutted.

Here is a link to the Ryan plan, which is probably the most thought out alternative.

A Better Way

A very similar article ran in the Philadelphia Inquirer. I've taken a wait and see position

You could always deactivate your ad-blocker for that page, or for pages on that domain. It seems fair enough to allow newspapers to derive some ad income in return for allowing us to read the content they provide.

You could always deactivate your ad-blocker for that page, or for pages on that domain. It seems fair enough to allow newspapers to derive some ad income in return for allowing us to read the content they provide.
Or not, my choice. :cool:

You could always deactivate your ad-blocker for that page, or for pages on that domain.

The easiest thing to do is right-click the link in Chrome and select "Open link in incognito window". This is how I view most articles on the big newspaper websites, since they usually have ad-blocker detectors or have limits on the number of free articles you can read per month.

Or not, my choice. :cool:
Well of course.

The easiest thing to do is right-click the link in Chrome and select "Open link in incognito window". This is how I view most articles on the big newspaper websites, since they usually have ad-blocker detectors or have limits on the number of free articles you can read per month.
I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the idea.

Great tip!

Google does not allow cloaked pages in their listings (free content shown to their spiders, and a different screen to Google search users). Most sites want to be in Google, so all if you search for the title or some unique content in Google and you can usually read for free. Otherwise you can report them to Google, which I always really enjoy doing, and it is a hoot seeing them get delisted or have to remove their cloaked pages.

I don't know for adblockers but it gets around the free article limits.

I have my own gut feeling about what will happen about the ACA repeal and replace debate, but will keep to myself to not violate any the rules here.

As for the ad blocking, uBlock Origin for Mozilla reads the article fine without even the nag warning from LA Times that I have the blocker on :cool:.

I have my own gut feeling about what will happen about the ACA repeal and replace debate, but will keep to myself to not violate any the rules here.

As for the ad blocking, uBlock Origin for Mozilla reads the article fine without even the nag warning from LA Times that I have the blocker on :cool:.
Thanks. I get the whole "we need to pay for content" thing, but it creeps me out thinking that sites are snooping inside my computer. Naive, I know.

The new ad blocker let me read the article linked above.

Last edited:
I was reading online today. The ACA gets cut, and so may Medicare be done away with. Says the gov't. may rebate older and sicker adults and send'em to private plans.

Anyway it goes, healthcare for those 65 and older will be priced higher and benefits will be less.

That really scares us Type II diabetics.

Thanks. I get the whole "we need to pay for content" thing, but it creeps me out thinking that sites are snooping inside my computer. Naive, I know.

The new ad blocker let me read the article linked above.

You're welcome. That's the best ad blocker I've seen thus far. Though not 100% effective, catches some of those [-]creeps [/-] advertisers which other blockers don't.

My vision of an ACA repeal is that it will take a couple of years so that people have time to switch over. Provisions like "pre-existing conditions" will be kept, but I've heard the insurance companies are lobbying to loosen that up if someone one changes plans. Competition across state borders will be the main attempt at cost control as well as lowering the coverage requirements. This will be good if you stay healthy and with catastrophic care if a young person gets cancer they won't pay the whole bill......but out of pocket costs when you are ill will be even higher than with the ACA.

I don't really see a way to control costs without changes to the delivery of treatment and more preventative medicine and increasing the number of healthy people paying premiums.

I expect a lot will be left up to individual states to manage and that Medicare and Medicaid will be also left to the states and funded by simple block grants.

I was reading online today. The ACA gets cut, and so may Medicare be done away with. Says the gov't. may rebate older and sicker adults and send'em to private plans. ...

And we all know that everything that we read online is accurate.

And we all know that everything that we read online is accurate.

Yep.

I'll frequently find two different articles from the same Web site where the authors say the exact opposite on the same subject.

Here is a link to the Ryan plan, which is probably the most thought out alternative.

A Better Way
Yep. The voucher approach. That's the easiest way to reduce government outlays. When you read the details, it's clear that the whole idea is to force future seniors into Medicare Advantage plans, specifically HMO type plans. I considered an MA plan when I signed up for Medicare but didn't like the limited networks so went with traditional Medicare and a Medigap plan that I'm very happy with. The "CouponCare" replacement for Medicare allows for grandfathering but without new folks entering the traditional Medicare pool, I can't imagine that would remain viable for long.

Here my friends are in a medicare advantage plan that they are all thrilled with. Basically it is the same plan I am paying for as a state retiree except I am paying more then double what they are. Looking forward to being 65:))

My mother has had MA plan I guess as long as they've been available. Altho I'm sure she's had to come up with some money somewhere along the way it must have been small stuff. Heart attack, Bypass, long time diabetic, eye surgeries, spinal surgeries. I saw the bills. At the end of all the sums and tallies "Patient Cannot be Charged" clearly printed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom